• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Siddhartha didnt believe in worship of deities, why do Mahayanas worship the buddhas as Divinity?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
What have the rupa jhanas got to do with experiencing deities?

Please describe your personal experience of this.
Have you ever noticed how the jhana-related factors of rapture, joy, and happiness are similar to what others might call "experiences of god?"

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Have you ever noticed how the jhana-related factors of rapture, joy, and happiness are similar to what others might call "experiences of god?"

Yes, two people could have a very similar experience and come to completely different conclusions, based on preconceptions. Personally I don't see any good reason to assume that subjective meditative experiences correlate to anything "out there", it looks like wishful thinking and something else to cling to.

Last edited:

Kartari

Hey Rick,

Yes, two people could have a very similar experience and come to completely different conclusions, based on preconceptions. Personally I don't see any good reason to assume that subjective meditative experiences correlate to anything "out there", it looks like wishful thinking and something else to cling to.

I am forced to agree. While theoretically anything is possible, and speaking as someone who has had a very profound spiritual experience, it unfortunately seems like there is no objectively discernible difference between personal experiences of a deity or deities and the human imagination at work.

Osal

I did some visualisation practice in a Vajrayana school, and in that context the deities were mostly regarded as archetypes, representing particular qualities that you wanted to connect with and develop.
I did come across a few people who believed they were in some sense real beings "out there."

That's the same in my experience.