• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If a presidential candidate admitted they were Atheist would they have any chance of winning?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
He's a Christian. You didn't hear all the noise over his pastor?

no, but then I don't watch the news much. i never bothered to think much of it because a persons religion doesn't matter to me. He could worship invisible pink bunnies on the moon and want to get sworn in by putting his hand on a rabbit being held by a person in a space suit. It still wouldn't make any difference to me. So i never really considered the possibility that it was a smear campaign.

I don't know about the Qu'ran thing.[/quote]

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
It appears that religious orientation is becoming less of a determinate in politics. We have a long, long way to go before we get rid of all bigotry.

Would I vote for an atheist? It would depend on his stance towards Haliburton's war.

texan1

Someone mentioned Mitt Romney.....maybe his case shows that not only do you have to have a strong belief in God, but you have to believe in the right religion as well.

(And BTW, I for one would not vote for someone who worshipped invisible pink bunnies.)

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
"Also how would "praying to God" make someone a better presidential candidate, why is it so important? What makes a religious president or a prayerful president better than an atheist president or a non-prayerful president?"

IMO the greatest men who ever led, were humble men who knew full well of their own inadequacies. The wisest are they who realize that they are NOT the wisest. They seek out the knowledge of others, before making a decision. They listen, they consider, they ponder. And above all, they seek the guidance of the wisest of all, God. That's the kind of leader I want.

edit: and what kinds of religions would drive you away? And I've never heard the idea that the Christian God would answer the prayers of people who pray to other Gods. Does he only do that with presidents or is it with anyone? And if he answers prayer regardless of religion why would it be so important to be part of any one religion in particular?

I don't know what kind of religion would drive away my vote. I haven't encountered it yet. Mostly because I know so little about most of them, other than my own and those similar.
My God is the father of everyone, not just those in his church. He is no respecter of persons. He loves us all. Therefore, if the sincere Muslim prays to Allah, I believe it's my God who is listening. It's my god who recognizes everyone's sincere desire for righteousness and obedience. So far, no U.S. president has been a member of my faith, but I fully believe that his prayers are heard and answered. God is the god of this world, not just of one church.
The reason to find the true church is that even though prayer is available to everyone, there is so much more that is available.

The Seeker

Once upon a time....
If a presidential candidate (not neccessarily in this election, but any) were to be honest about the fact that they did not attend church and/or they were agnostic or atheist, do you think they would have any chance of winning the nomination? My personal feeling is that they would not, but I was curious as to what people thought about that.

It will be a long time before this country ever nominates a secular presidential candidate. The funny thing is that some of our first presidents (Adams, Jefferson, Madison) were far from devout Christians. It's safe to say that they wouldn't even have a political career in if they were to run for office in present-day America based on the beliefs they held.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
It will be a long time before this country ever nominates a secular presidential candidate. The funny thing is that some of our first presidents (Adams, Jefferson, Madison) were far from devout Christians. It's safe to say that they wouldn't even have a political career in if they were to run for office in present-day America based on the beliefs they held.
I beg to differ. Have you read the quotes by our forefathers? They were very religious, or at least strong in their belief of God. Plus they expressed the importance of its existance in society.
Some of them may have leaned towards Deism, though I never found any evidence of that. Being LDS, though, I could certainly understand such a leaning, because in their day, it was largely true.

The Seeker

Once upon a time....
I beg to differ. Have you read the quotes by our forefathers? They were very religious, or at least strong in their belief of God. Plus they expressed the importance of its existance in society.
Some of them may have leaned towards Deism, though I never found any evidence of that. Being LDS, though, I could certainly understand such a leaning, because in their day, it was largely true.

Here are some quotes from Thomas Jefferson. I'll let you judge whether or not you believe that he was a devout Christian.

"The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills." -Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, January 24, 1814

I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Francis Hopkinson, March 13, 1789

Among the sayings and discourses imputed to him [Jesus] by his biographers, I find many passages of fine imagination, correct morality, and of the most lovely benevolence; and others again of so much ignorance, so much absurdity, so much untruth, charlatanism, and imposture, as to pronounce it impossible that such contradictions should have proceeded from the same being.
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Short, April 13, 1820

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
By Thomas Jefferson, written in 1822.

"The doctrines of Jesus are simple, and tend all to the happiness of man.

1. That there is one only God, and he all perfect.​

2. That there is a future state of rewards and punishments.​

3. That to love God with all thy heart and thy neighbor as thyself, is the sum of religion.​

Thomas Jefferson's Letters on Liberty and Religion

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
If a presidential candidate (not neccessarily in this election, but any) were to be honest about the fact that they did not attend church and/or they were agnostic or atheist, do you think they would have any chance of winning the nomination? My personal feeling is that they would not, but I was curious as to what people thought about that.

I don't know. I vote based on political views not religious perssuasion

The Seeker

Once upon a time....
By Thomas Jefferson, written in 1822.

"The doctrines of Jesus are simple, and tend all to the happiness of man.
1. That there is one only God, and he all perfect.​
2. That there is a future state of rewards and punishments.​
3. That to love God with all thy heart and thy neighbor as thyself, is the sum of religion.​
Thomas Jefferson's Letters on Liberty and Religion

I will admit that Jefferson was very much a believer in the teachings of Jesus, however, he didn't believe that Jesus was the son of God and performed miracles. This is why I say that Jefferson was NOT a devout Christian. Being a devout Christian means believing in the divinity of Christ, which Jefferson certainly didn't.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
"Had the doctrines of Jesus been preached always as pure as they came from his lips, the whole civilized world would now have been Christian." Thomas Jefferson

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
If a presidential candidate (not necessarily in this election, but any) were to be honest about the fact that they did not attend church and/or they were agnostic or atheist, do you think they would have any chance of winning the nomination? My personal feeling is that they would not, but I was curious as to what people thought about that.

If this was asked 20 years ago I would have said no, but I don't think it would matter now or it would matter less.
I think the issues would be more important.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
But didn't he say he wanted to get sworn in on the Qu'ran? Or is that part of the smear campaign too? if he's not muslim then what religion is he and how did this smear campaign get started?
That was another guy, an actual Muslim representative.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
IMO the greatest men who ever led, were humble men who knew full well of their own inadequacies. The wisest are they who realize that they are NOT the wisest. They seek out the knowledge of others, before making a decision. They listen, they consider, they ponder. And above all, they seek the guidance of the wisest of all, God. That's the kind of leader I want.

There are many Atheists who are like that. Only instead of seeking guidance from God they seek guidance from their teachers, parents, grandparents, and others whom they know possess greater wisdom and experience then they do. if a person had all these attributes that you mention minus the last(seek guidance from God) and then you had a person who had none of the above attributes except for "seeking guidance from God" which one would you vote for?

I don't know what kind of religion would drive away my vote. I haven't encountered it yet. Mostly because I know so little about most of them, other than my own and those similar.
My God is the father of everyone, not just those in his church. He is no respecter of persons. He loves us all. Therefore, if the sincere Muslim prays to Allah, I believe it's my God who is listening. It's my god who recognizes everyone's sincere desire for righteousness and obedience. So far, no U.S. president has been a member of my faith, but I fully believe that his prayers are heard and answered. God is the god of this world, not just of one church.
The reason to find the true church is that even though prayer is available to everyone, there is so much more that is available.

What does the "true church" have to offer that other churches don't, and how do you know its the "true church?"

P.s. I know I'm asking a lot of questions of you and I hope you understand I'm not trying to needle you or anything I'm just generally curious and want to understand your thought process behind your decision.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
"Had the doctrines of Jesus been preached always as pure as they came from his lips, the whole civilized world would now have been Christian." Thomas Jefferson
Very true.

I also remember him preaching not to judge others, but by refusing to vote for an atheist candidate without knowing their policies, personality, or stance on the issues, then I would say your interpretation of Christianity is not as pure as Thomas Jefferson, or Jesus, would have hoped.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
There are many Atheists who are like that. Only instead of seeking guidance from God they seek guidance from their teachers, parents, grandparents, and others whom they know possess greater wisdom and experience then they do. if a person had all these attributes that you mention minus the last(seek guidance from God) and then you had a person who had none of the above attributes except for "seeking guidance from God" which one would you vote for?

Your options are too limited. God answers us through a variety of ways. Sometimes his answers come through the words of others. So to cut ourselves off from God, would likely mean to cut ourselves off from many things--parents, teachers, etc. Sorry, that's the best I can do.
What does the "true church" have to offer that other churches don't, and how do you know its the "true church?"

P.s. I know I'm asking a lot of questions of you and I hope you understand I'm not trying to needle you or anything I'm just generally curious and want to understand your thought process behind your decision.
No problem, except this is not the topic of this thread. So I'll be brief. The true church offers authority through ordination. Authority to baptize, to marry for eternity, and the priesthood--the power to act in God's name--that same power that Christ gave to his apostles. The true church offers a continuation of God's word, revelation, not ending with the Bible. There's much more, but I'm going for brevity.
You know it's true by the power of the Holy Ghost, whose whole mission on earth is to confirm truth to us. So you simply ask God to help you find it, study, seek, and then ask God if what you've found is true. Really ask him. He has promised that he'll answer.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Your options are too limited. God answers us through a variety of ways. Sometimes his answers come through the words of others. So to cut ourselves off from God, would likely mean to cut ourselves off from many things--parents, teachers, etc. Sorry, that's the best I can do.

I'm not sure what you mean. Atheists still have ready access to parents, teachers, etc. How could being Atheist cut them off from parents, teachers, etc.? i can see them being cut off from God but to an Atheist that wouldn't really make any difference as they don't believe in God.

No problem, except this is not the topic of this thread. So I'll be brief. The true church offers authority through ordination. Authority to baptize, to marry for eternity, and the priesthood--the power to act in God's name--that same power that Christ gave to his apostles. The true church offers a continuation of God's word, revelation, not ending with the Bible. There's much more, but I'm going for brevity.
You know it's true by the power of the Holy Ghost, whose whole mission on earth is to confirm truth to us. So you simply ask God to help you find it, study, seek, and then ask God if what you've found is true. Really ask him. He has promised that he'll answer.

fair enough, you are right that this is off topic, I apologize. i might make a thread elsewhere on this, not sure yet.

gnomon

An atheist doesn't stand a chance today, just like an atheist didn't stand a chance in the past and given the current political and social climate still does not stand a chance.

Given the reaction I've read by so many theists of all political persuasions against the "New Atheists" they seemed rather frightened. It's almost as if people deem atheists tolerable as long as they keep their opinions to themselves.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
People value religious conviction over competence, which is how Bush managed to get elected.

I only learned Bush's religion (Methodist) a few months ago. So that wasn't why I voted for him. I just couldn't go for Gore or Kerry.
I think history will be kinder to Bush than the present.