• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idolatry

the bible talks about idolatry in relatively good detail, but does it really talk about the non materialistic forms of idolatry? What are some other forms of idolatry? I think I see some friends of mine falling into idolatry with spouses or girlfriends, etc...do you think this is possible and what are some examples or experiences you've had?

Thanks for your responses.

rusra02

Premium Member
the bible talks about idolatry in relatively good detail, but does it really talk about the non materialistic forms of idolatry? What are some other forms of idolatry? I think I see some friends of mine falling into idolatry with spouses or girlfriends, etc...do you think this is possible and what are some examples or experiences you've had?

Thanks for your responses.
Yes, The Bible does speak of idolizing our own selfish passions and desires. For example, Colossians 3:5,6 says; "Deaden, therefore, your body members that are on the earth as respects sexual immorality, uncleanness, uncontrolled sexual passion, hurtful desire, and greediness, which is idolatry. On account of those things the wrath of God is coming." Sexual passion within marriage is not condemned in the Bible, but greedily seeking sexual gratification outside of marriage is a form of idolatry.
Philippians 3:19 speaks of some whose "end is destruction, and their god is their belly, and their glory is really their shame, and they have their minds on earthly things."
So, IMO, anything one puts above God can become an idol.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I see the picture from an international point of view. Looking over the 20th Century just past, the greatest form of idolatry came in the form of so-called "political leaders" and despotic governments they control, or even in the form of some "social leaders" that really approximated a form of idol worship.

So, the idols I refer to are those such as Chairman Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Mohandas K Gandhi, Castro, Kennedy and their family, others. There was an attempt by inner city schools run by left-wing zealots to force children to worship Obama by singing sick idol worship songs to and about Obama.

All this is not only a sick form of idol worship combined with indoctrination which is often and in fact more often totalitarian in nature, it includes actual idols to worship in the forms of pictures or posters or photos, rituals as well.

Here are children forced to worship the idol Obama as the golden calf.

What about idolatry within in relationships, such as friendships, girlfriend boy friend, or marriage, but putting the sexual aspects away for a minute, is there any type of idolatry there?