• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iconography

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I'm making this assuming that "Oriental Orthodox" is the same as "Eastern/Greek Orthodox" :)

I'm taking a Russian history course in school. One of the main points from 988-1400 have lots to do with religion. Vladimir chose Eastern Orthodoxy as the state religion of Kiev in 988. From then on, "Russia" was predominately Orthodox. I'm sure many people already know this, but it's new to me.

Anyway, a new age came upon the Orthodox church concerning Icons. Russia is said to have some of the most beautiful Iconographies ever made. I have a few questions to anyone who happens to be Orthodox.

Are Icons still a big part of your religion?
What roles do they play, and how are they not "Idols"?
Are Icons still produced?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I'm sure James will have an accurate answer, but I would like to share a comment.

Icons, at least in Bosnia and I'm certain elsewhere, come in several distinct varieties. You have colorful and expensive ones adorned with gold and precious stones in some of the oldest Churches in the most prosperous (at the time the Churches were built) areas. You have less affluent icons in other Churches, but they're beautiful as well in their own way. And then you have individual, framed ones that you can find on the walls in family homes, Orthodox Christian-owned businesses, and so on.

This is, above all others, my favorite Orthodox Christian Church interior in Bosnia:

I can tell you that icons are still made - both in Churches, and individual ones for private homes and businesses. Often it's a process that takes a really, really long time. The biggest Church in Serbia, for example, is still under construction and will be for two or more generations - even though it's already in use. It costs a small fortune to make icons of the quality they want inside this Church and they don't care if it takes 50 years to finish.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Djamila said:
I'm sure James will have an accurate answer, but I would like to share a comment.

Icons, at least in Bosnia and I'm certain elsewhere, come in several distinct varieties. You have colorful and expensive ones adorned with gold and precious stones in some of the oldest Churches in the most prosperous (at the time the Churches were built) areas. You have less affluent icons in other Churches, but they're beautiful as well in their own way. And then you have individual, framed ones that you can find on the walls in family homes, Orthodox Christian-owned businesses, and so on.

This is, above all others, my favorite Orthodox Christian Church interior in Bosnia:

I can tell you that icons are still made - both in Churches, and individual ones for private homes and businesses. Often it's a process that takes a really, really long time. The biggest Church in Serbia, for example, is still under construction and will be for two or more generations - even though it's already in use. It costs a small fortune to make icons of the quality they want inside this Church and they don't care if it takes 50 years to finish.
Those icons certianly are beautiful *smiles* thank you so much for posting them!

It's so interesting to me that Icons are still such a part of Orthodox religions. I wonder if they are big in the Catholic church too. (And I dont mean just and the Vatican either. heeehee)

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Buttons* said:
I'm making this assuming that "Oriental Orthodox" is the same as "Eastern/Greek Orthodox" :)

I'm taking a Russian history course in school. One of the main points from 988-1400 have lots to do with religion. Vladimir chose Eastern Orthodoxy as the state religion of Kiev in 988. From then on, "Russia" was predominately Orthodox. I'm sure many people already know this, but it's new to me.

Anyway, a new age came upon the Orthodox church concerning Icons. Russia is said to have some of the most beautiful Iconographies ever made. I have a few questions to anyone who happens to be Orthodox.

Are Icons still a big part of your religion?
What roles do they play, and how are they not "Idols"?
Are Icons still produced?

Oriental Orthodox and 'Eastern' Orthodox are not the same Church. You'll find our forum under the umbrella Catholicism forum (which is for both us and the RCs - I'm considering suggesting a change to that structure as many people seem confused). Oriental Orthodox do use iconography, however, though it's of a slightly different style to Greek, Romanian, Russian etc. (and these are not all the same style either). The OOs are a communion of churches that split from us in 6th century and include, for instance, the Coptic, Armenian and Ethiopian Orthodox churches.

I answered your post in the Catholicism forum (which it now appears you meant as a question for Roman Catholics, but never mind).

I'm confused about yor comment of a new age for icons after the baptism of Kievan Rus, though, as that certainly is not historically accurate, as there are icons that date from long before then and St. John of Damascus wrote in defense of them (defense against muslim iconoclasm) two centuries earlier. Would you care to explain what you mean by this - maybe in the other thread?

James