• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iblis - Shaitan

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
Iblis is the Name. of a specific Shaitan

Iblis is the best known Shaitan, usually if Shaitan is used alone it refers to Iblis.

A Shaitan is any being that attempts to lead others to doing evil.

Any person or being with free will is capable of being a Shaitan. For most of us the most dangerous and powerful Shaitan we will ever face is our self.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
What is the meaning of Iblis and Shaitan in the Holy Quran?

Are they interchangeable?
Peace be on you.
A) Shaitan or Satan as negative:
It is vast word, it various aspects are mentioned in Holy Quran viz: Iblis is one of those. Iblis is rooted from 'hopelessness'.

B) Non-negative:
It is mentioned as non-negative too.
----------------------------------------------------------------
A))))))
[17:62] And remember the time when We said to the angels, ‘Submit to Adam,’ and they all submitted, except Iblis. He said, ‘Shall I submit to one whom Thou hast created of clay?’

[17:63] And he said, ‘What thinkest Thou? Can this whom Thou hast honoured above me be my superior? If Thou wilt grant me respite till the Day of Resurrection, I will most surely bring his descendants under my sway except a few.’

[17:64] He said, ‘Begone! and whoso shall follow thee from among them, Hell shall surely be the recompense of you all — an ample recompense.

[17:65] ‘And entice whomsoever of them thou canst, with thy voice, and urge against them thy horsemen and thy footmen and be their partner in wealth, and children, and make promises to them.’ And Satan promises them naught but deceit.

[17:66] As to My servants, thou shalt certainly have no power over them, and sufficient is thy Lord as a Guardian.

(alislam.org/quran)

1= Please note, the mention of Iblis changed to word Satan (Shaitan) implies their relation.

2= Holy Quran mentions:
-- 'Iblis' (hopeless) as one of the early mentions,
-- second last as 'Abu Lahb' (metaphor for brutal oppressors) and
-- last as 'al-Khannas (sneaking whisperer from jin and naas (covert and overt people)

B)))))
021-083.png

[21:83] And We subjected to him deep divers who dived for him, and did other work beside that; and it was We Who guarded them.

Satan as 'expert in anything'
note # 2413
wwwDOTalislamDOTorg/quran/tafseer/?page=1711&region=E1&CR=EN,E2&CR=EN,E2

ADDITIONAL
Holy Quran initially mentions:
[2:3] This is a perfect Book; there is no doubt in it; it is a guidance for the righteous,
[2:4]
Who believe in the unseen and observe Prayer, and spend out of what We have provided for them;
[2:5] And who believe in that which has been revealed to thee, and that which was revealed before thee, and they have firm faith in what is yet to come.

Holy Quran, in final parts, states:
[112:2]
Say, ‘He is Allah, the One;

It shows that Holy Quran takes a seeker from the logic-state-of-faith-in-God (pondering at universe and arriving at result 'to be')
to
the fully experience state of faith ('is')

As seeker progresses, he or she faces various facets of Satan.

Last edited: