• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I wish mormonism would be the dominant religion

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Personally, I would like to see Catholicism become the dominant religion worldwide and especially here in the United States. I would personally love it if all non-Catholics converted to Catholicism and were devout Catholics.
That would be great, it would be a huge shot in the arm for the exploration and colonization of the Moon and Mars, just like it was for the new world.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
That would be great, it would be a huge shot in the arm for the exploration and colonization of the Moon and Mars, just like it was for the new world.

Not to mention the teenage pregnancy rate would skyrocket because of a worldwide condom ban.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Would there still be Mormons to stop at people's houses to tell them the good news? Or would it not matter since Mormonism was dominant?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Personally, I would like to see Catholicism become the dominant religion worldwide and especially here in the United States. I would personally love it if all non-Catholics converted to Catholicism and were devout Catholics.

If you want a look at what happened when Catholicism became dominant in one country, read the Ryan Report.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
If you want a look at what happened when Catholicism became dominant in one country, read the Ryan Report.

Having one religion with complete control of an entire nation is a bad idea regardless of which one it is, because they will shove their ideals down your throat. History has proven this over and over again.

Scott C.

Just one guy
Would there still be Mormons to stop at people's houses to tell them the good news? Or would it not matter since Mormonism was dominant?

We Mormons stop at each other's doors now to share the good news. It's called Home Teaching and Visiting Teaching. So I suppose this would continue. :)

Skwim

Veteran Member
Whoa now Skwim, passionate, frequent and care free sex is an important part of a happy marriage for Mormons too.
3000.jpg
  
undrwrmo-couple.jpg

  "Yeah, sure!"

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"Yeah, sure!"
"Their underwear seems funny to me, therefore they must have dysfunctional sex lives."

There are valid criticisms to be made of the LDS Church, but this isn't one of them. To me, it looks a lot like xenophobic bigotry.

Scott C.

Just one guy
Yeah, sure[/SIZE]

I'm not sure how seriously to take these comments and if they really merit a thoughtful response. But here goes...

The temple garment is similar in purpose to the religious clothing worn by other faiths. It may help if you don't think of it as "underwear" and if you don't compare it to how "underwear" is designed in popular culture. Think of it as religious clothing which is worn for personal reminders and reflection and not as a symbol to others. Religious symbolism worn in view of the public is designed to tell others who we are or what we believe. Such is not the case with the temple garment, hence it's worn "under" clothing and out of view.

The garment is not worn when it's not practical, such as for sports or swimming. Normal clothes are worn for that. Typical lingerie is often worn, folks, for those special moments with the spouse.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Mormons claim to be, but others say it isn't.

I've had Evangelical Protestants tell me that Catholics aren't Christian, Catholics tell me that Pentecostals aren't Christian, etc. Apparently, one of the criteria to be a Christian denomination is that some group of people somewhere consider them not to be Christian.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Which leads to Mormonism... :)

That depends on what sort of education and knowledge we're talking about.

For instance, knowledge of the actual origins of the Book of Abraham (the only document where we have the original Egyptian that Joseph Smith "translated") leads to reduced confidence in the rest of the Book of Mormon.

... and knowledge of genetics leads to the conclusion that no Native American groups are descended from a small group of ancient Hebrew people.

... and knowledge of the events surrounding the Mountain Meadows massacre casts doubt on the idea that Brigham Young was a good man.

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Their underwear seems funny to me, therefore they must have dysfunctional sex lives."

There are valid criticisms to be made of the LDS Church, but this isn't one of them. To me, it looks a lot like xenophobic bigotry.
My tongue-in-cheek snicker was not aimed at the LDS church, but rather at the claim that "passionate, frequent and care free sex is an important part of a happy marriage for Mormons too." However, I'm quite certain that Mormons, being sexual animals like the rest of us, easily abandon the missionary position and go in for all sorts of sexual experimentations, using ropes, clips, bananas, gags, video cameras, etc, just like the rest of us.

Scott C. said:
The temple garment is similar in purpose to the religious clothing worn by other faiths. It may help if you don't think of it as "underwear" and if you don't compare it to how "underwear" is designed in popular culture. Think of it as religious clothing which is worn for personal reminders and reflection and not as a symbol to others. Religious symbolism worn in view of the public is designed to tell others who we are or what we believe. Such is not the case with the temple garment, hence it's worn "under" clothing and out of view.
Regardless of its service as religious symbolism, it still functions as underwear. If it was principally religious in nature then conventional underwear would also be worn. So, it's primary purpose is to serve as underwear, and secondarily as "religious symbolism," which, I have to tell you, seems quite odd.

Just harken back to the days of pre-Mormon underwear.
"Hey Samuel, I've been thinking. There should be some way to remind us to reflect on our faith and covenants each day"

"Yeah, I know Joseph, I've been thinking the same thing, and I think I've got it. Our underwear. What item better brings us closer to our Mormon faith than underwear."

"I agree, Samuel. And it can't be just any kind of underwear, but underwear so modestly constructed as to remind us of the temptations of the flesh. As we both know, ordinary underwear fails to do anything more than serve as a barrier between our nether region and the filth of the outside world, but every time we put on Mormon underwear or take it off its baggy anti-lust design can make us think of conquering this vile sin. Lust should be no further from our mind than a daily reminder of its evil---morning and night. Furthermore, it will go far in combating the unspeakable acts that tend to arise in the privacy of the marital bedroom. Our underwear will be like a bucket of ice water on randy a pup."

" I'm going home right now and see what Emily and Eliza can create out of those old bed sheets we tore off the bedroom windows of that new Hefner couple we've been tryin' to convert all month long. "
This is all in jest of course. Pay no attention to what others think of your religious habits. At least your underwear is completely harmless to the believer and the outsider, unlike some of the practices adopted by other religious folk.

Scott C.

Just one guy
" I'm going home right now and see what Emily and Eliza can create out of those old bed sheets we tore off the bedroom windows of that new Hefner couple we've been tryin' to convert all month long."

I don't think that the original Mormon garments varied much, if at all, from the underwear of the day, except for the symbols. In other words, I don't think they were seen an unusually modest or funny looking back in the day.I did a Google search on early 1800's underwear.

Last edited: