• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I was blessed

elmarna

I was blessed the day I had my major stroke.
Blessed???? Most of you may think as you read the sentence.
YES! ABSOLUTELY!
While not going into the details of it. I can say that while my neurologist puzzles over me. I was left with a little over 2 percent of my brain destroyed. It is important to note that my life was revolved around "negative thinking". I was looking out windows that defined the world around me in dark distortion. It could not manifest a smile or support anything "good" in the world.
While the doctors can not place a reason for the stroke...I have come to the conclusion that as my alpha and beta waves changed and my brain could respond in a "postive current that started to generate -it was because the majority of negativity stored was in the part of me inililated.
I wish to believe God struck me down and blessed me. I am not sure I can call it a truth. It is best to be supported as while my brain re-booted; it was the source of inspiration of him that was called upon and came to life!
In all of it I have learned that blessings come in many forms. It is the ability to realize what they can do when they give life something positive and make one realize that even without blessings good things can be found if we are able to support the world of them!

elmarna

I have periodic T.I.A.s (mini strokes) which my neurologist says are "tweeks" as the brain - heals, develops , and the nervous system reroutes around the dead tissue. 2 years since my major melt down you would not realze that I have strokes. What residual malformities still exist are mainly in the brain than in outward appearences.
When I came to this site originaly - I could not speak to people without struggling to do so. I am fine now in that department!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Elmarna, that's fantastic!

My mother had a major stroke about 8 years ago. It affected 1/8 of her brain (that's a LOT). It really affected her optic nerve, so she is nearly blind now. She was an artist before the stroke.

Interestingly enough, your account from a spiritual perspective sounds almost exactly like her account. She truly considers the stroke a blessing. She is a MUCH more positive person now - prior to the stroke she was very negative and very explosive, suspicious, etc. I know that strokes can change your personality, but this seems beyond that. She is truly so grateful to be alive now. Also, she firmly believes that it was her attitude and her hostility that created the environment for that stroke to take place.

She's happier and calmer and more loving now than she's ever been before.

Like you, her stroke didn't affect her outward appearance either. You'd never know she'd had a stroke looking at her - it's only slightly apparent after you begin talking with her, and that's mainly because she tries to see you from a very narrow sliver of sight, so she starts sort of holding her head funny.

My mom is my hero - to have such a setback and to react so positively to it! I've honestly only heard her complain one time - and that was this one comment, one of the most poignant I've ever heard. After a visit with my daughter's delightful and beautiful little girls, my mother said quietly, "I wish I could see their faces."

My heart hurt to hear her say that. But she's carrying on bravely!

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
My father-in-law, who is 90, has mini-strokes on occasion. I am glad to hear you are doing much better.