• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think the husvaettir like Triscuits

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Reactions to this could go one of several ways:
  1. Yeah, OK. :rolleyes:
  2. Say what!? :eek:
  3. Very cool! That's what's supposed to happen. :)
My own reaction is somewhere between # 1 and #3. Of course #1 says my faith and belief is somewhat lacking, and #3 kind of gives me goose bumps.

OK, here it is...

Last night I put 3 Triscuit crackers on a small plate near the stove for the husvaettir. This was technically the first offering to them specifically. On top of the stove I have a small rock I keep there for them. I don't have a hearth or a fireplace, so the stove is the best I can do. I put the 3 crackers on the plate on top of the glass container I keep salt in. It was slightly elevated, and at the back of the counter top.

This morning 2 of the crackers were gone. The little plate was not disturbed. I looked at it and went "huh!?" o_O There were no crumbs or pieces of cracker anywhere. It wasn't the cat, because he is actually klutzy and would have made a mess knocking things over. It was not a mouse, because 1. the cat would have gotten it; 2. the plate was elevated, and nothing was disturbed.

My husband disavows even knowing what they were for, but he suspected they had something to do with the rock. And with the full box there, why take two that he knew I probably took out for a reason? He knew the rock is for the spirits. My niece looked at me like I have antlers when I asked her (had to rule out all the suspects). Other than accepting that it was supernatural in nature, I don't know what to make of it.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Reactions to this could go one of several ways:
  1. Yeah, OK. :rolleyes:
  2. Say what!? :eek:
  3. Very cool! That's what's supposed to happen. :)
My own reaction is somewhere between # 1 and #3. Of course #1 says my faith and belief is somewhat lacking, and #3 kind of gives me goose bumps.

OK, here it is...

Last night I put 3 Triscuit crackers on a small plate near the stove for the husvaettir. This was technically the first offering to them specifically. On top of the stove I have a small rock I keep there for them. I don't have a hearth or a fireplace, so the stove is the best I can do. I put the 3 crackers on the plate on top of the glass container I keep salt in. It was slightly elevated, and at the back of the counter top.

This morning 2 of the crackers were gone. The little plate was not disturbed. I looked at it and went "huh!?" o_O There were no crumbs or pieces of cracker anywhere. It wasn't the cat, because he is actually klutzy and would have made a mess knocking things over. It was not a mouse, because 1. the cat would have gotten it; 2. the plate was elevated, and nothing was disturbed.

My husband disavows even knowing what they were for, but he suspected they had something to do with the rock. And with the full box there, why take two that he knew I probably took out for a reason? He knew the rock is for the spirits. My niece looked at me like I have antlers when I asked her (had to rule out all the suspects). Other than accepting that it was supernatural in nature, I don't know what to make of it.

Very cool!:cool:

But, based on experience: cats do not always catch mice:eek:; don't always find them right away, and sometimes end up hunting them for days, maybe longer. ;) Even being elevated is not a barrier; mice can jump and climb quite well...:confused: That said, it would be odd if a mouse would take a whole cracker--rather unwieldy for a four-legged of that stature.:) Did you check under the stove?

And, do any of the other two-legged residents sleep-walk?:D

My bet is still with your intended denizens.;)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't check under the stove, but my cat did catch a mouse last year. I found it on the dining room floor.

The fact that 2 crackers appear to have been lifted off the plate does point to bipedals. But neither would mess with my stuff, thinking I might invoke dark forces. bwahahaha

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I didn't check under the stove, but my cat did catch a mouse last year. I found it on the dining room floor.

The fact that 2 crackers appear to have been lifted off the plate does point to bipedals. But neither would mess with my stuff, thinking I might invoke dark forces. bwahahaha
Yeah, but sleepwalkers aren't responding consciously....:D

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Hummm. Circumference-wise, is the plate larger than the glass? If so, a mouse would've likely caused the plate to fall or such getting onto it to grab the cracker.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It's about the same diameter, but with a lip.I think there is indeed a mouse under and behind the stove. I heard some scuffling from there, and my cat was going nuts. The sound stopped after a few minutes. I'm perfectly OK thinking the mouse was sent by the wights. :D I know virtually everything we do is on another plane, so I certainly don't expect the physical offerings to disappear... unless there's a mouse. :D

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It's about the same diameter, but with a lip.I think there is indeed a mouse under and behind the stove. I heard some scuffling from there, and my cat was going nuts. The sound stopped after a few minutes. I'm perfectly OK thinking the mouse was sent by the wights. :D I know virtually everything we do is on another plane, so I certainly don't expect the physical offerings to disappear... unless there's a mouse. :D
Unless it's the wights!:D

GoodbyeDave

There's an old Jewish story (there's always an old Jewish story...) about Moses in the wilderness spending the night at a shepherd's tent. Before they turned in, the shepherd put out a bowl of milk, telling Moses that it was for Jahweh -- "and he always drinks it." Moses told him that gods didn't drink milk and persuaded him to stay up and watch. Sure enough, a fox came and drank the milk. Next night, Jahweh appeared to Moses in a dream and told him he'd done wrong. "It's true I don't drink milk, but offering it made the shepherd happy and drinking it made the fox happy. Now they're both disappointed."

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, some things are better left as mysteries. ;)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I had raccoons in the attic last year. :(