• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think it's time to [drumroll]...

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Wrap up and put away my statues of the Hindu and Buddhist deities. I don't disbelieve in them any more than I disbelieve in deities of any other pantheon. However, I pray only to the Aesir and Vanir. I've pledged myself to them. It occurred to me quite a while ago that I still have the Hindu and Buddhist deities out because they're pretty; but they are just objets d'art. I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to have them displayed and may even be disrespectful.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Pardon my intrusion, I dont believe thats disrespectful at all. I still have the Crucifx on my wall when I was confirmed three years ago. I pay my respects but I never worship Christ just keyep it for personal value. I have a statue of Yemaya, Orisha of the water and life. I dont worship Her (given Im not santera) but I admire who and what she stands for.

I feel its disrespective when using the items for worship. Say I use the crucifix in my full moon rituals, Id be disrespecting Christ. If I gave Yemaya m and ms instead ofnwater, thats disrespectful. If I worshiped the Buddha statue as if it were Buddha, that is an insult to His teachings of non attachment.

Follow the teachings of Asatru. If you pantheon sees a problem youll feel it. Other than that, I just be mindful of how you use the object rather than were it sits in your home.

Hope that helped?

Wrap up and put away my statues of the Hindu and Buddhist deities. I don't disbelieve in them any more than I disbelieve in deities of any other pantheon. However, I pray only to the Aesir and Vanir. I've pledged myself to them. It occurred to me quite a while ago that I still have the Hindu and Buddhist deities out because they're pretty; but they are just objets d'art. I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to have them displayed and may even be disrespectful.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
The Norse and Vikings loved foreign art & cultures. We have found Chinese Jade Statues, Arabic tapestries, even some Hindu objects found in Norse burial mounds, and a plethora of other such things.

By retaining those objects, you are doing nothing but continuing that most lovely of traditions of Viking love & respect for foreign cultures.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The Norse and Vikings loved foreign art & cultures. We have found Chinese Jade Statues, Arabic tapestries, even some Hindu objects found in Norse burial mounds, and a plethora of other such things.

By retaining those objects, you are doing nothing but continuing that most lovely of traditions of Viking love & respect for foreign cultures.

Very cool, you're right they did appreciate other cultures. I did not think of it that way. So, the deities stay. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You'll have to pardon my intrusion as well.

Which Buddhist deities, and what do they stand for?

A couple of Buddha figures, Chenrezig, Guan yin, Green Tara. Chenrezig, Guan yin, Green Tara are bodhisattvas of compassion.

Rounding out the list, the Hindu deities I have are Lakshmi, Saraswati, Hanuman, Ganesha, Radha-Krishna, Shiva family, Nataraja, Durga (on the tiger).

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
I've only got one statue of Heimdallr, it stands next to a photo of my Father from Vietnam.
ut077.jpg

He's the one I would turn to most, the most trust AEsir. If you can't trust the gate man of Asgard, Heaven, you can't trust anyone.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I asked Thor if this was all his doing, that is, my conflict over this. I got a feeling of "yes, yes it is", and a feeling that it's perfectly OK to honor and venerate other deities. I realize he can't always be around, so he probably appreciates others looking out for me, whether Aesir, Vanir, or Hindu. I approached the Hindu deities also and got a positive feedback. So, I'm gong to keep their little shrine active and even make offerings, but of course separate from the Aesir and Vanir. I just wonder if I'm going to get a smack upside the head one day and hear "uh you know, we'd like some of that mead too". :D