• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think I am being called back (Confused)

Love is King

Are there rules in this forum about denegrating a Religious group. Even if it was one of our own I find the calling of Joseph Smith a nut job very offensive...

nutshell

Are there rules in this forum about denegrating a Religious group. Even if it was one of our own I find the calling of Joseph Smith a nut job very offensive...

It's my honest opinion.

Was he a prophet? Yes.

Did God use him for the Restoration? Yes.

Was he a nutjob? Yes.

If you'd like, start a thread on this and we can talk about it in detail.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
It's my honest opinion.

Was he a prophet? Yes.

Did God use him for the Restoration? Yes.

Was he a nutjob? Yes.

If you'd like, start a thread on this and we can talk about it in detail.

I'm sure that's your beliefs in a nutshell...

*giggle* *giggle*

*giggle* *giggle*

Melancholy

異端者
I'm waiting for the sisters from the local ward to visit me this afternoon and I am looking forward to this meeting.
I'll let you know how it went.

:)

Melancholy

異端者
Hi.
Well the visit went really well.
I was told that I should take my time before commiting myself again and I am even getting some help to stop my smoking habit. I have been put on a 12 step proggramme where I have to brush my teeth and drink lots of juice and eat plenty of mints.
Hee hee my teeth have never been so clean, but I'm a bit concerned that the enamal might come off if I brush too much.
We said a prayer and as usual I was too scared to lead so I asked the sisters to do it.
I also recieved a blessing, which made me feel better.
Although I am still a little unsure that my issues may not coincide with the church teachings I will persevere.
I was told that it is not too much of a problem and that it is between myself and Heavenly Father and the church does not frown on me for those beliefs.
But they were concerned about the smoking issues, but they have not been harsh, but very loving and understanding about it.

I do need more time on this, but I hope you don't mind if I visit here and partake of the issue discussed and if my views offend please let me know as I don't wish to upset anyone.

God Bless and thank you all for your wellwishes, and prayers they mean so much to me. Please believe that.

God bless you all.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi, Melancholy.

I'm glad the visit went well. Of course we want you to stick around and visit with us. I can assure you that nothing you might say is going to upset any of us. We're all here for you any time you want to talk about anything.

Kathryn

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
Hi.
Well the visit went really well.
I was told that I should take my time before commiting myself again and I am even getting some help to stop my smoking habit. I have been put on a 12 step proggramme where I have to brush my teeth and drink lots of juice and eat plenty of mints.
Hee hee my teeth have never been so clean, but I'm a bit concerned that the enamal might come off if I brush too much.
We said a prayer and as usual I was too scared to lead so I asked the sisters to do it.
I also recieved a blessing, which made me feel better.
Although I am still a little unsure that my issues may not coincide with the church teachings I will persevere.
I was told that it is not too much of a problem and that it is between myself and Heavenly Father and the church does not frown on me for those beliefs.
But they were concerned about the smoking issues, but they have not been harsh, but very loving and understanding about it.

I do need more time on this, but I hope you don't mind if I visit here and partake of the issue discussed and if my views offend please let me know as I don't wish to upset anyone.

God Bless and thank you all for your wellwishes, and prayers they mean so much to me. Please believe that.

God bless you all.
Sounds like a good first meeting :) That is the first start. The twelve step program? Is it through the Church? I know a smoker who is in one. He is struggling, but he is getting strength from God. You will to. As for your issues between you and the Church, if you allow it, God will give you the power to reconcile yourself. I know as I have had similar issues where my personal issues and the Church have not completely coincided. Hang in there. With prayer on your part and allowing the Atonement of Jesus Christ to work in your life, you will come to a point where you will be okay with you. God is already there, now it is your turn and what a wonderful turn it is:yes:

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I'm so glad you're keeping us posted. I've been thinking about you. As you work through this, please don't judge the Church by the weak and goofy people in it. Meaning--we're all weak and goofy in different ways. Yet most are loving and wonderful . . . along with being weak and goofy. Know what I mean? Anyway, I know you are on the right path.

Melancholy

異端者
Sounds like a good first meeting :) That is the first start. The twelve step program? Is it through the Church? I know a smoker who is in one. He is struggling, but he is getting strength from God. You will to. As for your issues between you and the Church, if you allow it, God will give you the power to reconcile yourself. I know as I have had similar issues where my personal issues and the Church have not completely coincided. Hang in there. With prayer on your part and allowing the Atonement of Jesus Christ to work in your life, you will come to a point where you will be okay with you. God is already there, now it is your turn and what a wonderful turn it is:yes:
Yes .
The 12 step proggramme is through the church.
I requested it when I spoke to the Bishop on the phone whilst requesting a home visit.
Thanks for your kind words.
Everyone.

Katya

I did the 12 step program once. I really hate mints now. :spit: But it certainly helped me at the time.

Katya

I have doubts about Joseph Smith myself, but to me that's a good thing. I won't get too comfortable. I like a challenge. But everything else about the gospel I believe whole heartedly. I know I will come to have a testimony of what Joseph accomplished. The Lord, in his own time, will reveal to me what I need to know. I just have to be patient. So I'm not too worried about it.

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
I have doubts about Joseph Smith myself, but to me that's a good thing. I won't get too comfortable. I like a challenge. But everything else about the gospel I believe whole heartedly. I know I will come to have a testimony of what Joseph accomplished. The Lord, in his own time, will reveal to me what I need to know. I just have to be patient. So I'm not too worried about it.
Katya, What specific questions do you have about JS?:cool:

Katya

I thought he was delusional. I don't think he made it up, I just don't think he saw what he did. Does that make sense?

This coming from the person who thought Lehi was a psychic. :D

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I thought he was delusional. I don't think he made it up, I just don't think he saw what he did. Does that make sense?

This coming from the person who thought Lehi was a psychic. :D

I, too, have had my moments wondering about Joseph Smith, particularly referring to polygamy. Lately as I have read (partly afraid of what I might find) some of the info online about him, including non-LDS sources, my testimony of him has actually been strengthened. I can see him as an imperfect mortal, stuck between a rock and a hard place, honestly trying to obey God as best he could. Imagine him knowing that his obiedience to God will likely cost him the feelings of his family, the respect of his friends and associates, and ultimately his life. Consider how this must have felt for him!