• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Need Suggestions

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I am planning on restarting my overview study of various religions. I checked a book out of the library, and I really didn't like it. I thought I would come here and ask about encyclopedia-like books that are about religions. I would like one that clear, concise, and accurate about the various religions. I can't buy new books, since I am on a limited budget, so it will have to be checked out of the library.
I would also like a book teaching about Hinduism. I checked a book out of the library, "Hinduism" by Vasudha Narayanan, it seems OK, so far. But is there one anyone would recommend?

Thanks for any suggestions that would help me.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Christine, for a general overview, I actually would recommend the Wikipedia page. It's pretty accurate and about as summarised as possible. Even then it is a lot to read. Hinduism is incredibly vast. But here is also a thread I created a while ago with book recommendations:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/hinduism-dir/84688-hinduism-book-recommendations.html

PS: Try not to read books authored by non-Hindus. They are often heavily biased against it or just ignorant.

Last edited:

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
I'd recommend The Illustrated World's Religions by Huston Smith. It covers the major religions, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism...and so forth.

Any good-sized public library will likely have a copy of this book.

What I especially like about it is that it doesn't just describe the religion but shows you important symbols, images and sacred places as well as believers performing rituals in some cases. In short, you get a view as well as an idea of what the religion is like.

As for difficulty in buying books, I suggest my favorite online used book resource, Abebooks. I checked just now, and you can get a nearly new copy of this book for about $5, shipping included. You can't touch most new paperbacks for that price anymore!

Abebooks' service is excellent. I've bought books from them for over ten years. Generally, their used book prices are far better than Amazon's, and I typically find more copies of a title available from them.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Thanks to both of you. :)
And thanks for telling me about Abebooks, too. I usually get my used books from Amazon, but Abebooks looks like a better deal.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

I am planning on restarting my overview study of various religions. I checked a book out of the library, and I really didn't like it. I thought I would come here and ask about encyclopedia-like books that are about religions. I would like one that clear, concise, and accurate about the various religions. I can't buy new books, since I am on a limited budget, so it will have to be checked out of the library.
I would also like a book teaching about Hinduism. I checked a book out of the library, "Hinduism" by Vasudha Narayanan, it seems OK, so far. But is there one anyone would recommend?

Are you opposed to Ebooks?

I know some people hate them, but there are loads and loads of free ones concerning religion that you might be interested in.
Especially the older books that are now public domain.

For example:

Last edited by a moderator:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

If you want to make a real search/research on religion; why not start books revealed of different religions.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

A book that will be very useful in making a comparative study of religions; its name is <Philosophy of the Teachings of Islam>; it is available on-line; I give its link:

Philosophy of the Teachings of Islam

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'd recommend The Illustrated World's Religions by Huston Smith. It covers the major religions, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism...and so forth.

Any good-sized public library will likely have a copy of this book.

Good recommendation. Smith has been a standard intro to the World's religions for at least 30 years now.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I liked 'A History of God' by Karen Armstrong, which covers Judaism, Christianity and Basic Islam (mainly Sufism). It, as the title says, looks into the history of the respective religions. All though it may not be quite what you're looking for, you may find it an interesting read.