• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need some advice, once more, please...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Some of you might recall my asking for advice (a couple of months ago I should imagine), concerning a vagrant, who was sleeping rough in the woods near home.

Some of you encouraged me in the idea of taking this guy some coffee in a flask one day (Which I did) - strangely enough, I have never seen him since. I don't think it was the coffee:biglaugh: I hope that perhaps I gave him the impetus to go and get himself some work, and to go to the local YMCA; he had been thinking of it, and i encouraged him to do so.

I now have another dilema; every morning, whilst walking the dog, I come across a young guy (Might be anything up to 40 years, but I would guess 30), who is obviously an O.C.D sufferer.

Every day, he parks his car, which has to be in exactly the right area of the road, the tires an exact 6 inches away from the curb-stone. He gets out of the car, will never look a passer by in the eye, locks all the doors of the car, walks around the car in a clockwise direction, checking all the doors, and boot. H e will often then unlock one door, take off a sweater, put it in the car, close and lock the door. He then has to repeat the 'ritual' of going around the car again, checking absolutely everything. One can almost 'taste' the unease, and the reluctance to leave the car.

About three four months ago, Ias I passed him, I said 'Hello' gently - the first couple of days he seemed to ignore me, but once (I think) he could see I was no threat, he replied to my 'Good morning' - but he will never initiate the conversation.

Todqy, I went a step further - I noticed he had changed his car to a slightly newer model; as I passed him, I said the customary "Hello", and added " I see you have a new car - it's very nice, are you happy with it?"

He managed to say "Yes, I got it a couple of weeks ago".

My point is this; I know he suffers from OCD (that is evident). I can help him; I have suffered from OCD (still do, in a less severe manner), and although I am pretty useless at following what I know will work (De-sensitization, and various 'distraction' techniques - which only serve to 'break' the pattern - but that is part of it). I feel the need to try and help him. I have talked to my wife about him, and, as I thought , she said "He's not your responsability - leave him alone."

What do you guys think ? My gut feeling is to say casually " I see you have a bit of a problem worrying about your car being secure, are you frightened of someone breaking into it ?" - as an opener - and take it from there, depending on his response.

I am worrying about this, because I think this is an opportunity for me to help someone.
What would you do, in my place ?:)