• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need help finding some answers

mssu

I have been researching Islam and I have some questions that I am having trouble finding answers to.

1. What are Islamic views on the death penalty?

2. What are Islamic views on education?

I'm doing research for a paper and haven't had much luck finding an answer to these two questions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

john313

warrior-poet
mssu said:
I have been researching Islam and I have some questions that I am having trouble finding answers to.

I'm doing research for a paper and haven't had much luck finding an answer to these two questions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
The death penalty is of course a last resort. I think there have to be 4 witnesses to whatever act calls for the death penalty, maybe an intentional murder or something like that. (I am trying to remember, it has been a while since I read it)
Education is very important and all are ancouraged to get an education in true Islam. Unfortunately there are some oppressive leaders that say they are Muslim but restrict education from women. This oppression and oppression of any type are not Islamic.

_salam_

mssu said:

Thanks
While the death penalty is allowed in Islam it is only allowed under certain cases. Let me provide you with a brief article about this topic.
Question:
What does Islam say about the death penalty?

Answer:

According to the Islamic injunctions, death penalty can be administered in two cases only. Firstly, if a person is physically harmed or injured by another, Islam directs the state to provide justice to the individual (or his relatives) by letting him/them harm or injure the guilty to the same extent, as he himself was guilty of harming his victim, in the first place. This concept of punishing the guilty is known as "Qisaas", which means "to follow suit" or to deal with the criminal in a manner similar to the act originally committed. In other words, the criminal is to be killed or injured in the same way as he himself killed or injured his victim. Obviously, the principle of Qisaas when applied in the case of murder would translate to killing the murderer, in the same manner, as he himself killed his victim.

Secondly, the death penalty may be administered if the criminal is guilty of "Hiraabah" or "Fasaad fil Ardh". "Hiraabah" and/or "Fasaad fil Ardh" include crimes committed against the community, rather than an individual or crimes that are of the nature of religious persecution or crimes committed with the objective of spreading a wave of terror through the community or crimes committed against the state. In the case of "Hiraabah" and/or "Fasaad fil Ardh" the Qur'an has proposed four different punishments - of varying intensities, thus, giving a certain amount of leverage to the authority administering the punishment to be extremely severe or comparatively soft on the criminal, depending upon the nature of the crime committed and other related variables. Two of these proposed punishments shall most certainly amount to torturous death.

These are the only two crimes for which the Qur'an has allowed to administer the death penalty, and to stress the fact that the death penalty cannot be administered in any other crime except these two, the Qur'an says:

"Whoever kills a person - except as a punishment for murder or Fasaad fil Ardh - is as if he has killed the whole of mankind." (Al-Maaidah 5: 32)

However, it might be interesting to note that in the case of murder, Islam gives the relatives of the murdered the right to forgive the criminal. This really implies that if the relatives of the murdered want to forgive the murderer, the state shall then not administer the death penalty. The Qur'an has, in fact, prompted the relatives of the deceased to forgive the criminal.
Now for your second question about education. Learning and seeking knowledge is something that is greatly encouraged within Islam. Let me provide you with some verses from the Qur'an and Hadith (sayings of Muhammad, peace be upon him).

Through out the Qur'an we are asked to contemplate things and look at the many creations of Allah.

"Verily in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the alternation of night and day - there are indeed signs for men of understanding; Men who remember Allah, standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and contemplate the creation of the heavens and the earth (with the thought) Our Lord! Not for nothing have You created (all) this. Glory to You! Give us salvation from the suffering of the Fire." (3:190-191)

"Say: Travel through the earth and see how Allah originated creation; so will Allah produce the second creation (of the Afterlife): for Allah has power over all things." (29:20)

" Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before We clove them asunder, and We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (21:30)
This verse, by asking "Do they not see", is implying that we should go and look and find out whether or not this is true.

"Have We not made the earth as a bed and the mountains its pegs?" (78:6-7)
Again, we are being asked a question for us to go and discover, which in turn promts us to learn.

"Have you not seen how God drives along the clouds, then joins them together, then makes them into a stack, and then you see the rain come out of it?....." (24:43)
Again asking a question for us to answer.

And the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said:

"Upon a person who Allah desires good, He bestows the knowledge of faith." - from the Hadith collections of Bukhari and Muslim

"A person who follows a path for acquiring knowledge, Allah will make easy the passage to Paradise for him." - from the collection of Muslim

"A Muslim is never satiated in his quest for good (knowledge) till it ends in Paradise." - from the collection of Tirmidhi

"The virtue of the scholar to a worshipper is similar to the virtue of the moon when it is full to the rest of the stars. And verily the scholars are the inheritors of the Prophets. Verily the Prophets did not leave behind dirhams and deenars, but rather they left behind knowledge. Thus whoever takes it, takes it as a bountiful share." - from the collections by Abu Dawood, Tirmidhi, and Ibn Majah

As we can see from the Qur'an and the Hadith learning and seeking knowledge is a highly regarded aspect within Islam. I see learning, especially with regards to my religion, as a part of my own personal jihad. Meaning that by learning I can help fight the battle against ignorance and help to teach others about my religion.