• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have an issue with people and Exodus 14:14

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Sorry I've been away a while. Life is just different now.
Exodus 14:13-16 Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. [14] The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” [15] Then the Lord said to Moses, “Why are you crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to move on. [16] Raise your staff and stretch out your hand over the sea to divide the water so that the Israelites can go through the sea on dry ground.

This is non-partisan as members in my church do it too. When sharing this verse they end the passage at vs. 14. And comment about God fighting the battle and we need only be still and watch. But vs. 15 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Why are you crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to move on.

shows God did not agree with Moses in this instance. God did not tell the people to be still, He told them to move on. And in vs. 16 God did not tell Moses to be still, but to raise his staff and stretch out his hand over the sea. This is not being still. From this passage, one can teach a lesson that God's character is that He wants us to follow his instructions and He will work miracles in tandem, and not to just be still. Yes there are times in the OT when God did it all, like with Sennacerib's army. I'm just bothered with people using Exodus 14:14 as a poster child when that's not how it happened. Why do people not read the following verses. Are they just following the crowd?

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited: