• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I don't consent to your prayers."

gnomon

Knothead on TikTok

Found a video on tiktok where someone, in a comment, responded to some evangelical Christians that they don't consent to their prayers. The evangelical Christians then made a video specifically praying for that individual despite their wishes. The video linked above is another Christian minister condemning that action as selfish, displaying false piety and even taking the Lord's name in vain.

Personally I don't have a horse in this race, I don't care if people pray for me and view it at best as functionally equivalent of well wishing, at worse as harmful as praying to Bruce Almighty.

But what do you think? Would you as a non-christian ask Christians to not pray for you, especially the passive aggressive 'I'll pray you change your mind?' As Christians would you respect the wishes of someone who asked you to not pray for them? Also, if you have another theistic belief, do you pray for people?

It depends on why they are praying and I can see where some people would take offense. If someone wishes to pray for someone who is a homosexual because they find that person is not in alignment with their religion...that can be offensive to the person who is being prayed for. Could think of a few others as well where it could be offensive.

On the other hand, I've had many people say they will pray for me not even knowing my religious affiliation or lack thereof simply because that they were concerned. Doesn't bother me one bit. I'm used to it, actually. Also, I've had more than one person say they will cast a spell for my well being. What's the difference?

Brian2

Veteran Member
This has interesting implications for the issue of free will.

When I use "God's plans" I am not saying it in the sense of determinism, I am saying it in the sense of God's foreknowledge. God foreknew our prayers and His response.

But you said that your prayers are sometimes effective. What do you mean by "effective" if not "God was originally going to do one thing (or nothing), but because of my input, God is going to do what I suggest instead"?

What God knows that He will do is what He will do and it may or may not be because of my prayers.

So you don't actually think that prayer is effective?

How do you work that out?

... then spending time not praying costs lives.

It is said:

In praying, don’t use vain repetitions, as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their much speaking. Therefore don’t be like them, for your Father knows what things you need, before you ask him.
Matt. 6:7-8

That is why I don't have any reason to spent my whole time in repeating something.

Brian2

Veteran Member
It is said:

In praying, don’t use vain repetitions, as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their much speaking. Therefore don’t be like them, for your Father knows what things you need, before you ask him.

That is why I don't have any reason to spent my whole time in repeating something.

The prophets of Baal on Mt Carmel with Elijah did a lot of repetition of the one thing but Elijah did not.(1Kings 18:16-45)
Nevertheless Jesus tells the story of the woman who kept coming back to the judge to ask for justice in her case.(Luke 18:1-8) Jesus does want us to be persistent in our prayers about a certain thing but not using vain repetitions (repeating the same thing or mantra or prayer over and over) as if that is going to have any effect on God.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It is said:

So you just dont ever pray for God to intercede?

So you just dont ever pray for God to intercede?

I think God has already interceded, that is why we have the Bible.

But, I think I could pray God to intercede, if I see a good reason for that. But, the problem often is, I don't necessary understand now what is actually the best thing to happen. That is why I don't easily ask God to intercede as I would think is the best way at the moment. In my experience some thing may feel bad first, but what it causes eventually may be good. So, if I would pray, I would pray that I learn the lesson in the easy way. :)