• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I disagree with the Ibn Ezra and therefore I feel bad.

rosends

I have been looking for a place to put this - it is more of a free form problem, rather than one with a tidy answer, so I'll lay it out and you can move to the next thread.

In this past week's parsha, Ki Tavo, we read at the beginning of the seventh aliya (text and translations from sefaria.org)

וַיִּקְרָ֥א מֹשֶׁ֛ה אֶל־כָּל־יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֲלֵהֶ֑ם אַתֶּ֣ם רְאִיתֶ֗ם אֵ֣ת כָּל־אֲשֶׁר֩ עָשָׂ֨ה יְהוָ֤ה לְעֵֽינֵיכֶם֙ בְּאֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרַ֔יִם לְפַרְעֹ֥ה וּלְכָל־עֲבָדָ֖יו וּלְכָל־אַרְצֽוֹ׃

Moses summoned all Israel and said to them: You have seen all that the LORD did before your very eyes in the land of Egypt, to Pharaoh and to all his courtiers and to his whole country:

---------------
Question -- to whom is he speaking? I mean that pretty specifically. I know the general answer is "the Children of Israel" but at this point, who was that?

Everyone who was over 20 years old at the time of the exodus (except Joshua and Kalev I think, plus Moshe, himself) was dead. But the population had not decreased so there must have been births during the 40 years in the desert. This large chunk of the population, born after the Exodus would NOT have seen what this pasuk refers to, or the verse after it ("הַמַּסּוֹת֙ הַגְּדֹלֹ֔ת אֲשֶׁ֥ר רָא֖וּ עֵינֶ֑יךָ הָאֹתֹ֧ת וְהַמֹּפְתִ֛ים הַגְּדֹלִ֖ים הָהֵֽם׃

the wondrous feats that you saw with your own eyes, those prodigious signs and marvels.")

Why claim that the people to whom he spoke saw what they didn't?

I have found 2 commentators who address this. The first is the Ibn Ezra who, according to sefaria, writes,
"You have seen, as well as the subsequent verse “I led you…” [: 4] and the subsequent mention of how ‘Og came out to wage war [: 6] are to be understood in the sense of, “There are among you those who have witnessed the signs which God performed in Egypt;"

So the Ibn Ezra's answer is "the text says 1 thing, but it means something else entirely." I find this wholly unsatisfying as it never addresses the remaining question "then why write it that way?" The answer to that might be a discussion of poetic language or figures of speech, or something else which ignores the issue.

The only other commentator I found on sefaria who brings it up is the more modern "Birkat Asher" who writes שאלתי עצמי, והא בסוף מסעי המדבר עומדים, וכל יוצאי מצרים כבר אינם. (I translate it is "I asked myself, and yet, they were standing after all their travels and all those who left Egypt were not there!") and his second comment which he views as an answer is that this shows that those under 20 at the Exodus weren't dead. In other words "SOME of you" is the meaning. He falls in line with the Ibn Ezra.

I remain unconvinced. The text makes a series of claims. In other places, the text has heaven and earth act as witnesses and the commentators don't ignore this, but discuss its significance. When it says that Jews not yet born witnessed the revelation at Sinai, no one explains this to mean "some." But here, the only explanation is "he means 'some'" and even that seems like a convenience, an afterthought brought about only by one classical commentary.

So now I feel like I'm missing something -- is it wrong of me to discount the simple (and overly simplistic) Ibn Ezra? The guy was wicked smart and I must be missing something. Right?

Help.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I suspect that the following is too easy, but I read it as something like ...

I've summarized much, and you should now be able to discern and appreciate all that the Lord did, openly, in full view of you, Pharaoh, and Egypt.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
This isn't addressing your Ibn Ezra problem, but I've always figured that whenever Moshe refers to events not actually seen by the people whom he is talking to, ties in to verses such as: "It was not with our fathers that the LORD made this covenant, but with us, the living, every one of us who is here today." (Devarim 5:3)
"Take thought this day that it was not your children, who neither experienced nor witnessed the lesson of the LORD your God— His majesty, His mighty hand, His outstretched arm...but that it was you who saw with your own eyes all the marvelous deeds that the LORD performed." (Devarim 11:2,7)
And what we say in the Haggadah:
"Not only our ancestors did the Holy One, blessed be He, redeem, but rather also us [together] with them did He redeem etc"

rosends

This isn't addressing your Ibn Ezra problem, but I've always figured that whenever Moshe refers to events not actually seen by the people whom he is talking to, ties in to verses such as: "It was not with our fathers that the LORD made this covenant, but with us, the living, every one of us who is here today." (Devarim 5:3)
"Take thought this day that it was not your children, who neither experienced nor witnessed the lesson of the LORD your God— His majesty, His mighty hand, His outstretched arm...but that it was you who saw with your own eyes all the marvelous deeds that the LORD performed." (Devarim 11:2,7)
And what we say in the Haggadah:
"Not only our ancestors did the Holy One, blessed be He, redeem, but rather also us [together] with them did He redeem etc"
This is exactly what I would be expecting, but I would be expecting the commentators to invoke this idea. The fact that none does, and tie Ibn Ezra just re-presents the statement without making these connections is what puzzles me.

rosends

I suspect that the following is too easy, but I read it as something like ...

I've summarized much, and you should now be able to discern and appreciate all that the Lord did, openly, in full view of you, Pharaoh, and Egypt.
But he didn't do it in full view of "you" -- only a few of the current "you."

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
At least Ibn Ezra is consistent: he says the same about Devarim 5:3:
"כי אתנו אנחנו. והטעם כי גם אתנו כמו לא יקרא שמך עוד יעקב. או טעמו לא כרת עם אבותינו שהיו במצרים רק אתנו כרת הברית כי רבים יש במחנ' ששמעו הברית מפי השם על כן אמר אנחנו אלה שהם פה והם חיים והעד על יושר זה הפירוש שאמר עמכם וביניכם:" -
"but with us, and the reason for also with us...or its reason didn't make this covenant with our fathers who were in Egypt, but with us he made this covenant for there are many in the camp that heard the covenant from the mouth of Hashem, and for this he said "everyone of us who is here today" and witness the truth of this explanation..."

I must say, @rosends, you've stumped me with this. There are plenty of commentators on Rashi, but is anyone aware of any commentators on Ibn Ezra?

rosends

At least Ibn Ezra is consistent: he says the same about Devarim 5:3:
"כי אתנו אנחנו. והטעם כי גם אתנו כמו לא יקרא שמך עוד יעקב. או טעמו לא כרת עם אבותינו שהיו במצרים רק אתנו כרת הברית כי רבים יש במחנ' ששמעו הברית מפי השם על כן אמר אנחנו אלה שהם פה והם חיים והעד על יושר זה הפירוש שאמר עמכם וביניכם:" -
"but with us, and the reason for also with us...or its reason didn't make this covenant with our fathers who were in Egypt, but with us he made this covenant for there are many in the camp that heard the covenant from the mouth of Hashem, and for this he said "everyone of us who is here today" and witness the truth of this explanation..."

I must say, @rosends, you've stumped me with this. There are plenty of commentators on Rashi, but is anyone aware of any commentators on Ibn Ezra?
It looks like in that pasuk (5:3) he is saying that the verse means "not ONLY" -- ki GAM itanu since there were already those who had heard the covenant at Sinai but now the new generation was being added. What is weird here, though, is that he describes those who had already heard this (a short time after the Exodus, so were talking about those under 20 years old) as "כי רבים יש" because there are MANY whereas in 29:1, talking about the same total population, he writes "כי יש מהם שראו" there are of them who saw, with no indication that it is "many."

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
It looks like in that pasuk (5:3) he is saying that the verse means "not ONLY" -- ki GAM itanu since there were already those who had heard the covenant at Sinai but now the new generation was being added. What is weird here, though, is that he describes those who had already heard this (a short time after the Exodus, so were talking about those under 20 years old) as "כי רבים יש" because there are MANY whereas in 29:1, talking about the same total population, he writes "כי יש מהם שראו" there are of them who saw, with no indication that it is "many."
Meanwhile, apparently there are no less than "many" Ibn Ezra commentators, so I'll try to find some tomorrow.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
But he didn't do it in full view of "you" -- only a few of the current "you."
I am not too sure where to go with this. I distinguish between

... in full view of [each of] YOU​

and

... IN FULL VIEW of you.​

i.e., He provided you a public display of His dominion over Egypt and its gods.

i also suspect that the distinction between to see and to hear is important, with the former having the connotation of to perceive/discern and, the latter, to obey.

And, of course, I could easily be wrong.

Ehav4Ever

I have been looking for a place to put this - it is more of a free form problem, rather than one with a tidy answer, so I'll lay it out and you can move to the next thread.

In this past week's parsha, Ki Tavo, we read at the beginning of the seventh aliya (text and translations from sefaria.org)

וַיִּקְרָ֥א מֹשֶׁ֛ה אֶל־כָּל־יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֲלֵהֶ֑ם אַתֶּ֣ם רְאִיתֶ֗ם אֵ֣ת כָּל־אֲשֶׁר֩ עָשָׂ֨ה יְהוָ֤ה לְעֵֽינֵיכֶם֙ בְּאֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרַ֔יִם לְפַרְעֹ֥ה וּלְכָל־עֲבָדָ֖יו וּלְכָל־אַרְצֽוֹ׃

Moses summoned all Israel and said to them: You have seen all that the LORD did before your very eyes in the land of Egypt, to Pharaoh and to all his courtiers and to his whole country:

---------------
Question -- to whom is he speaking? I mean that pretty specifically. I know the general answer is "the Children of Israel" but at this point, who was that?

Everyone who was over 20 years old at the time of the exodus (except Joshua and Kalev I think, plus Moshe, himself) was dead. But the population had not decreased so there must have been births during the 40 years in the desert. This large chunk of the population, born after the Exodus would NOT have seen what this pasuk refers to, or the verse after it ("הַמַּסּוֹת֙ הַגְּדֹלֹ֔ת אֲשֶׁ֥ר רָא֖וּ עֵינֶ֑יךָ הָאֹתֹ֧ת וְהַמֹּפְתִ֛ים הַגְּדֹלִ֖ים הָהֵֽם׃

the wondrous feats that you saw with your own eyes, those prodigious signs and marvels.")

Reading through Ibn Ezra he seems to be pointing out that you can't start and stop at pasuk 1. In fact, the way it is written in Hebrew Mosheh Rabbeinu was making a complete statement from Pasuk 1 to 8 about the Brith (mentioned in Perek 28 pasuk 69) that was being made with that generation that was about to enter into the land of Israel.

Ibn Ezra states:

ויקרא משה אל כל ישראל
לכרות הברית, על כן אחריה אתם נצבים היום

וטעם אתם ראיתם. ואחר כך: ואולך אתכם ואחר כן ויצא עוג, כי יש מהם שראו האותות שעשה השם במצרים והם והבאים אחריהם ראו מופת המן, שלא אכלו לחם זולתו, ואלה הבנים ראו כי השם עזרם והכו שני המלכים

Thus, the entire statement from verse 1 to 9 is applicable to the entire nation. I.e. those who were old enough to remember what happened in Mitzrayim (pasukim 1 - 3), the children they gave birth to those who experienced the midbar (pasukim 4 - 5), and the those who experienced the war with Sihhon and Og (pasukim 6 - 7). The reason for recounting this is mentioned in pasuk 8. The entire nation saw that various things that Hashem did for them. Further, any generation who only saw a part of what is described would have known from the previous generations where it all started.

Ibn Ezra makes it clear that Brith is the point and it is relevant to each of the generations who were standing there - even if they had different experiences with Hashem. Similar to how in the Hagada we recite words as if things that happened thousands of years ago happened to us.
(בבהילו יצאנו ממצרים)

We are told to not forget what Amaleq did to us yet that was thousands of years ago also. So, one way of looking at it is that the experience is a collective experience even it happened to my parents and grandparents. Further, even the generations who were not there in Mitzrayim experienced the works of Hashem towards Am Yisrael in the midbar.

Yet, if you cut things off at Pasuk 1 then you don't even get the point of the statement which is made in pasuk 8.

This is why the commentary of Or HaHayyim states:

ויקרא משה אל כל ישראל וגו'. הגם שעד עתה היה מדבר אל כל ישראל, הוסיף לקבץ הנשים והטף והגרים כאמור בסמוך אתם נצבים היום כלכם וגו' טפכם וגו

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
@rosends:
Here's a list I found:
פירושים על פירושו
על פירושו לתורה נכתבו עשרות רבות של פירושים בגלל סגנונו הקשה להבנה, כתיבתו המלאה ברמזים ומעמדו החשוב. בין פירושים אלו ניתן למנות:

• "צפנת פענח" (אוהל יוסף) מאת רבי יוסף טוב עלם הספרדי
  • פירוש "מקור חיים"
  • "מאמר יום טוב", לבעל התוספות יום טוב
  • "מחוקקי יהודה" מהרב יהודה ליב קרינסקי, וילנא תרס"ז - תרפ"ח
  • "באר יצחק"/״הדר עזר״ לר' יצחק שרים מארם צובא, ליוורנו תרכ"ד
  • פירוש מאת אשר וייזר במהדורתו לפירוש ראב"ע לתורה, הוצאת מוסד הרב קוק
  • "אבי עזר" מאת הרב שלמה הכהן מליסא[28] - בפירוש זה מופיעה טענה שדברים אחדים בפירוש ראב"ע כלל לא נכתבו על ידיו: "לכן האמנתי לדברי רבים וכן שלמים אשר גזרו אומר על כמה דברים הכתובים בספר (ש)אינם מפיו רק באו זרים וחללוהו ותלמידים טועים כתבו בשמו למען חלל את שם קדשו ... כי כל מגמת הלצים להראות סרה מאיש טוב למען יאמנו דבריהם אצל המון כי דברי הרב מלאים ביראה ובחכמה ומוסר השכל"[29].
  • "דעת עזרא" מאת נחמיה שינפלד בהוצאת מוסד הרב קוק. הפירוש מקיף וכתוב בצורה קריאה ובעברית עכשווית. בשולי הדף הובאו שיטות הראשונים המסכימים או נחלקים על הראב"ע. כמו כן הובאו מקומות בהן עומדים דבריו בסתירה למדרשי חז״ל וההלכה הפסוקה. לעת עתה (2014) יצאו ארבעה חומשים. ספר שמות עדיין בעריכה.
  • חמישה קדמוני מפרשי רבי אברהם אבן עזרא. הפירושים הכלולים: "פירוש רבי משה בן יהודה" (איטליה, אמצע המאה ה-14), "אוות נפש" (פרובנס, תחילת המאה ה-14), "פירוש רבי אלעזר בן ממתיה" (ביזנטיון, סוף המאה ה-13), "פירוש רבי יוסף כספי" (פרובנס, תחילת המאה ה-14), "פירוש רבי ישעיה בן מאיר" (פרובנס, תחילת המאה ה-14).

and the commentaries that are available on Hebrewbooks:
HebrewBooks.org Sefer Detail: באר יצחק -- שרם, יצחק, 1798-1872
HebrewBooks.org Sefer Detail: אבי עזר -- שלמה בן אליעזר ליפמן, הכהן
HebrewBooks.org Sefer Detail: דברים-ע"פ מחוקקי יהודה --
HebrewBooks.org Sefer Detail: צפנת פענח -- טוב עלם, יוסף בן אליעזר

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Be'er Yitzchak says that some saw the first miracles - Yehoshua, Kalev, Shevet Levi - while the rest, the younger generation, saw the later miracles - the defeats of the various neighboring nations.
The others don't appear to be talking about it.

rosends

Reading through Ibn Ezra he seems to be pointing out that you can't start and stop at pasuk 1. In fact, the way it is written in Hebrew Mosheh Rabbeinu was making a complete statement from Pasuk 1 to 8 about the Brith (mentioned in Perek 28 pasuk 69) that was being made with that generation that was about to enter into the land of Israel.

Ibn Ezra states:

ויקרא משה אל כל ישראל
לכרות הברית, על כן אחריה אתם נצבים היום

וטעם אתם ראיתם. ואחר כך: ואולך אתכם ואחר כן ויצא עוג, כי יש מהם שראו האותות שעשה השם במצרים והם והבאים אחריהם ראו מופת המן, שלא אכלו לחם זולתו, ואלה הבנים ראו כי השם עזרם והכו שני המלכים

Thus, the entire statement from verse 1 to 9 is applicable to the entire nation. I.e. those who were old enough to remember what happened in Mitzrayim (pasukim 1 - 3), the children they gave birth to those who experienced the midbar (pasukim 4 - 5), and the those who experienced the war with Sihhon and Og (pasukim 6 - 7). The reason for recounting this is mentioned in pasuk 8. The entire nation saw that various things that Hashem did for them. Further, any generation who only saw a part of what is described would have known from the previous generations where it all started.

Ibn Ezra makes it clear that Brith is the point and it is relevant to each of the generations who were standing there - even if they had different experiences with Hashem. Similar to how in the Hagada we recite words as if things that happened thousands of years ago happened to us.
(בבהילו יצאנו ממצרים)

We are told to not forget what Amaleq did to us yet that was thousands of years ago also. So, one way of looking at it is that the experience is a collective experience even it happened to my parents and grandparents. Further, even the generations who were not there in Mitzrayim experienced the works of Hashem towards Am Yisrael in the midbar.

Yet, if you cut things off at Pasuk 1 then you don't even get the point of the statement which is made in pasuk 8.

This is why the commentary of Or HaHayyim states:

ויקרא משה אל כל ישראל וגו'. הגם שעד עתה היה מדבר אל כל ישראל, הוסיף לקבץ הנשים והטף והגרים כאמור בסמוך אתם נצבים היום כלכם וגו' טפכם וגו

I understand his point about "some of you" in a progressive fashion but the problem I have is that the text doesn't really lay that out. If "some of you" get the bracha first, then the klalah, then some are listed as being in one place and some in another. To address the "all" and not mean "all" (which is what forces the Ibn Ezra, and no other commentary to make this interpretation) is strange. At the haggadah, it is said that we are ALL required to see ourselves as if we left Egypt at the Exodus, so "bivhilu yatzanu" DOES apply to the all. Same as the revelation at Sinai, and same as the explicit "
וְלֹ֥א אִתְּכֶ֖ם לְבַדְּכֶ֑ם אָנֹכִ֗י כֹּרֵת֙ אֶת־הַבְּרִ֣ית הַזֹּ֔את וְאֶת־הָאָלָ֖ה הַזֹּֽאת׃

כִּי֩ אֶת־אֲשֶׁ֨ר יֶשְׁנ֜וֹ פֹּ֗ה עִמָּ֙נוּ֙ עֹמֵ֣ד הַיּ֔וֹם לִפְנֵ֖י יְהוָ֣ה אֱלֹהֵ֑ינוּ וְאֵ֨ת אֲשֶׁ֥ר אֵינֶ֛נּוּ פֹּ֖ה עִמָּ֥נוּ הַיּֽוֹם׃"

rosends

Be'er Yitzchak says that some saw the first miracles - Yehoshua, Kalev, Shevet Levi - while the rest, the younger generation, saw the later miracles - the defeats of the various neighboring nations.
The others don't appear to be talking about it.
Great...now I feel even more marginalized ;)

Ehav4Ever

I understand his point about "some of you" in a progressive fashion but the problem I have is that the text doesn't really lay that out. If "some of you" get the bracha first, then the klalah, then some are listed as being in one place and some in another. To address the "all" and not mean "all" (which is what forces the Ibn Ezra, and no other commentary to make this interpretation) is strange. At the haggadah, it is said that we are ALL required to see ourselves as if we left Egypt at the Exodus, so "bivhilu yatzanu" DOES apply to the all. Same as the revelation at Sinai, and same as the explicit "
וְלֹ֥א אִתְּכֶ֖ם לְבַדְּכֶ֑ם אָנֹכִ֗י כֹּרֵת֙ אֶת־הַבְּרִ֣ית הַזֹּ֔את וְאֶת־הָאָלָ֖ה הַזֹּֽאת׃

כִּי֩ אֶת־אֲשֶׁ֨ר יֶשְׁנ֜וֹ פֹּ֗ה עִמָּ֙נוּ֙ עֹמֵ֣ד הַיּ֔וֹם לִפְנֵ֖י יְהוָ֣ה אֱלֹהֵ֑ינוּ וְאֵ֨ת אֲשֶׁ֥ר אֵינֶ֛נּוּ פֹּ֖ה עִמָּ֥נוּ הַיּֽוֹם׃"

If you cut it off at Pasuk 1 then yes the problem you menitoned exists. If pasukim 1-8 are all connected it isn't a problem. Also, if one cuts off the context which is stated in Perek 28 pasuk 69. There could also be a problem.

The big problem I see though is that you are not looking at the Ta'amim. If you ignore the Ta'amim you will be confused on the sentence structures. The "all" is not connected to the issue of Mitzrayim and who saw it. See below.

upload_2020-9-7_15-8-3.png

Thus, Mosheh called to "all" of Yisrael, and said to them a statement about their collective experience. The text does not say "all of you saw what happened in Mitzrayim."

Ehav4Ever

Great...now I feel even more marginalized ;)

Here it is a little closer with the (מלכים) Ta'amim marked in red and the other Ta'am marked in blue. If you look at it this way you will where the meaning is coming from. W/o the Ta'aimim being expressed one can change the entire meaning of the text.

upload_2020-9-7_15-14-4.png

rosends

If you cut it off at Pasuk 1 then yes the problem you menitoned exists. If pasukim 1-8 are all connected it isn't a problem. Also, if one cuts off the context which is stated in Perek 28 pasuk 69. There could also be a problem.

The big problem I see though is that you are not looking at the Ta'amim. If you ignore the Ta'amim you will be confused on the sentence structures. The "all" is not connected to the issue of Mitzrayim and who saw it. See below.

View attachment 42645

Thus, Mosheh called to "all" of Yisrael, and said to them a statement about their collective experience. The text does not say "all of you saw what happened in Mitzrayim."
The text doesn't say "all" in any of these. One has to assume Moshe changes his address, facing one group, then another (even metaphorically) and that makes this a stand out case in which he addresses parts without explaining that he is addressing parts. Later in N'tzavim, he says "atem y'datem" you know that we were in Egypt. He doesn't say "You saw that we were in Egypt" -- his choice of verb makes it clear the group he means. The Ibn Ezra is trying to explain that different sections are aimed at different groups but not WHY the claim to witnessing would be fragmented. Moshe could have said "you saw the miracles in the desert" and be done with it, knowing it included all the people. Instead, he set up what has to be explained as a series of partial (or progressive) witnessings. Why? The "problem" isn't in what he means (though only the Ibn Ezra explains it as such) but in why he means that.

Ehav4Ever

The text doesn't say "all" in any of these. One has to assume Moshe changes his address, facing one group, then another (even metaphorically) and that makes this a stand out case in which he addresses parts without explaining that he is addressing parts. Later in N'tzavim, he says "atem y'datem" you know that we were in Egypt. He doesn't say "You saw that we were in Egypt" -- his choice of verb makes it clear the group he means. The Ibn Ezra is trying to explain that different sections are aimed at different groups but not WHY the claim to witnessing would be fragmented. Moshe could have said "you saw the miracles in the desert" and be done with it, knowing it included all the people. Instead, he set up what has to be explained as a series of partial (or progressive) witnessings. Why? The "problem" isn't in what he means (though only the Ibn Ezra explains it as such) but in why he means that.

Actually, traditionally, Mosheh could not have said anything that Hashem didn't give him to say. We don't have to assume that he had to face different groups to address everyone with what was relevant to them personally. They would have been mixed together. I.e. those born in the midbar would have been with their parents who were born beforehand. There is nothing in the text that says they divided themselves up into seperate groups away from their families to hear him speak.

He doesn't say "You saw that we were in Egypt" in the section your quesiotns is about. "We" is not indicated in the part of the text your question address. His verbs are you all the way through but it doesn't have to mean that he means every single individual. No different than mitzvoth that are marked as you but are specific to males but are marked as "you plural." If one accepts that Mosheh had to be talking about everyone's shared experiencee in the 1st pasuk then one would have to accept that when he states, (טפכם נשיכם--וגרך) he saying that everyone who heard him speaking at that time had children, wives, and geirim. (Including the children, women, and geirim)

The use of "we" in ancient Hebrew doesn't always mean "all of us were" something. There are number of Middle Eastern Jewish communities who use "we" about things that happened generations ago and that they themselves did not experience. For example, there are Teimanim who say, "We accepted the Rambam because he helped us against the false messiah's who were going around Yemen."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Sorry, but for reasons I don't particularly understand, I went to bed last night thinking (and humming) ...

You have seen it one moment,
And then it is gone!
But you'll find it next week
Lying out on the lawn

And we all say
"Oh! Well, I never!
Was there ever a cat so clever as
Magical Mr Mistoffelees?" (*)​

And now, back to our Torah discussion ...
-------------------
(*) From Cats, the Musical

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Here's my best guess:

Maybe the idea is that they saw it written in the newly completed Torah? The Torah contains details of the miracles and plagues that would not be known by anyone other than G-d, Moshe, and Pharaoh.

With the Torah completed, and 40 years of instruction, each person was able to see these details written with their own eyes and feel it in their own hearts even though they did not experience it first hand. If so, then having The Torah + Moshe's teaching is better than experiencing it first hand. And that justifies 29:8.