• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I can't take it any more

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
MysticSang'ha said:
I'm a little familiar with the lineage of Karmapa. One of the books I have recounts his death in Zion, Illinois in 1981 and discussed how he impacted the ICU staff there. I have a lot of respect for Sogyal Rinpoche and his work with hospice care (he's in the Nyingma school, isn't he?) That's awesome that you were able to visit his centre.
Yes, I think he's Nyingma, though I'm far from certain.

I can't remember, but I believe the current Karmapa is 17 years old or so? And as far as I know, Penchen Lama still hasn't been found. :(
That would depend on which one you think is the real Karmapa. The one I met is, I believe, a little older and was found in Tibet by a group including Lama Ole Nydahl and swiftly removed to India. The other was declared to be the Karmapa by a rival group who are closer to the Chines communist government and has remained in China.

You're very welcome. I sincerely do not believe I am exaggerating your exemplary behavior because I have seen you challenged by a few members on the forum and you have many times responded with dignity, patience, and kindness (and throw in a good measure of scholarship).
Thank you again. You appear to have missed the times I lost my cool, though. I try my best, but when your faith is being misrepresented and attacked (usually by some fundy Protestant who thinks it's pagan) it sometimes gets difficult to respond with dignity and humility.

The site does look interesting. Ever since discovering you practiced in the Karma Kagyu school and then learning of your journey into Orthodoxy, I have been very curious of the faith itself. Quite frankly, so far, I can see why anyone would be drawn to Orthodoxy with the little bits and pieces I know. I can't promise I'll be done with reading the entirety of the site soon, but eventually I will, and I most likely will be asking you for more references. :)
I hope it gives you a better appreciation for my Church and faith. I do like to try to raise awareness of our faith amongst westerners as I feel far too many people are not aware that we even exist or, if they are, that the beliefs we hold to are quite distinct from the (from our point of view) rather modern ones of western traditions. Of course, there's also a downside to this in that if we become more visible we are also more likely to suffer the sorts of attacks the RCs receive, but such is life. Ask whenever you're ready and I will try to provide you with further references.

Not exactly questions, just idle chatter. But I'm glad you started your own thread, James.
I must say that I'm surprised more people haven't asked questions. I was expecting some antagonistic questions by now, but perhaps I'm just a little too pessimistic. Anyway, thanks for the discussion. It's always interesting to share (as opposed to argue) with others, whatever their faith. That's, really, why I continue to post here despite having given up on so many other forums.

James

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
JamesThePersian said:
That would depend on which one you think is the real Karmapa. The one I met is, I believe, a little older and was found in Tibet by a group including Lama Ole Nydahl and swiftly removed to India. The other was declared to be the Karmapa by a rival group who are closer to the Chines communist government and has remained in China.

Ah, yes. Thanks for reminding me of the lack of buddy-buddyism going on between China and Tibet and the official declaration of lineages. ;)

Thank you again. You appear to have missed the times I lost my cool, though. I try my best, but when your faith is being misrepresented and attacked (usually by some fundy Protestant who thinks it's pagan) it sometimes gets difficult to respond with dignity and humility.

When you value your faith so highly, such kinds of misrepresentations can be much more than merely personal. I don't doubt nor dismiss your feelings in those situations.

I must say that I'm surprised more people haven't asked questions. I was expecting some antagonistic questions by now, but perhaps I'm just a little too pessimistic.

Perhaps you and I jumped on the bandwagon a little too late, and the wagon has since run out of petrol? :D My thread ain't gettin' a lot of hits, either.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion. It's always interesting to share (as opposed to argue) with others, whatever their faith. That's, really, why I continue to post here despite having given up on so many other forums.

You continue to educate people like me who know little about your faith. Understand that I believe the pleasure is all mine.

Peace,
Mystic