• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1 Corinthians 15:33

They all say "bad associations" are people. I am not backing down for the accepting of that.

I found some more evidence that it means what a person believes and teaches.

A person believes in words.

Isn't that so? I found an old version of "associations" that I feel like sharing.

It is translated homilies which means "a religious discourse that is intended primarily for

spiritual edification rather than doctrinal instruction".

Bad homilies corrupt good ethics.

The word homily is derived from the Greek word ὁμιλία homilia (from ὁμιλεῖν homilein), which means to have communion or hold verbal intercourse with a person. In this sense homilia is used in 1 Corinthians 15:33. In Luke 24:14, we find the word homiloun, and in Acts 24:26, homilei, both used in the sense of "speaking with". Origen was the first to distinguish between logos (sermo) and homilia (tractatus). Since Origen's time homily has meant, and still means, a commentary, without formal introduction, division, or conclusion, on some part of Sacred Scripture, the aim being to explain the literal, and evolve the spiritual, meaning of the Sacred Text. The latter, as a rule, is the more important; but if, as in the case of Origen, more attention be paid to the former, the homily will be called expository rather than moral or hortatory. It is the oldest form of Christian preaching.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homily

People can not believe in anything that they do not repeat in their heads or to others. In fact, repeating what you believe to others strengthens your own resolve to believe in it.

Jesus associated with unrighteous people, but he was not corrupted.

Now they teach that to associate with unrighteous people is to corrupt the believer

even though it is written that NOTHING can separate a person from the love of God.

What a person believes in is what leads a person.

So believing in something wrong is called bad or worthless and is able to mislead the believer. (1 Cor. 15:33)

Ephesians 4:29

==================================================================

So, what about scriptures which surely DO warn about associating with some other people?

Ephesians 4:17

Philippians 4:8

Proverbs 27:17

Proverbs 14:7

2 Corinthians 5:11-13

2 Corinthians 6:14

Do any of these suggest that associating with anyone can cause a person to be misled?

I do not think so. If YOU think so, I think you should help me see it your right way.

Don't you?

Why then 2 Corinthians 5:11-13? Is it not because by befriending an immoral person it is the
same as condoning his activity? Separating yourself from evildoers is not for your protection.
It is for their regard. If you are walking with Jesus like you say you are, then to associate with
someone who is not interested in walking with him is bringing him to the one who is
not interested. If you leave those who are described at 2 Corinthians 15:11 alone, someone of them might seek him, knowing that he does not come by unrighteousness.

So, isn't not associating with some people for their sake and not for your sake?

You are making it about YOUR (negative) sake. It isn't. It is for their (positive) sake, in Jesus Christ's name.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you are a perfect example of moral integrity from a human standpoint, but you lean on homilies (understandings) that are wrong (bad) you will be misled by your spoiled inner character. 1 Corinthians 15:33

Your inner character will be spoiled from Heaven's viewpoint because you believe in a lie.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So sorry. (good thing nobody is listening haha) 1 Corinthians 5:11-13 but I like 2 Corinthians 5:11-13 better so I am leaving it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
SIGH

A true disciple of Jesus preaches his presence. Is that right?

He preaches to draw people to Jesus in righteousness. Is that right?

But let us imagine that the preacher preaches some nonsense*. What will that do to his discipline of preaching?

Don't be shy. Please tell me. Hello? Is anyone there?

*bad homily.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Anyway, I'll tell you. I feel perfectly free that I might never walk into another church. Why?
Because bad associations spoil useful habits.

In every church there are people who do not care much for godly character. Why would I want to associate with those spoiled brats? ;)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It has come to pass that a bad homily is anything that does not coincide with YOUR opinion.

Silly me, I thought it was Jehovah's opinion that mattered.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Anyway, I'll tell you. I feel perfectly free that I might never walk into another church. Why?
Because bad associations spoil useful habits.

In every church there are people who do not care much for godly character. Why would I want to associate with those spoiled brats? ;)
How can I say that righteous people do not care much for godly character? It is because they accept whatever they accept, true or false.
AND at the same time, some of them preach disaster for others who are not righteous (according to them).

It is because they took no note of 1 Corinthians 15:33. Is it people's fault some other people teach the Bible wrong? Shrugs. It is an interesting nightmare.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I often say to people around me.....and the discussion goes astray....

'Who told you that?!........and why did you believe it?!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and as I stand from the dust I am.....the angelic will ask

What do you believe?

my reply will make all the difference

I don't want to hear them ask in the same way I posted above

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If an angel asked me what I believe I think I might say, "about what?" Does that make me Jewish?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that anyone who might lean on the Bible for her understanding and who also judges anyone to be not worthy of the grace of God because of his or her unrighteousness has allowed the forged Bible to be her judge, in the same way, not worthy of God's grace.

And I am warning her and for some reason she will stick with bad associations are people. She is a people. Or.........like in the days of Noah those
uh spirit creatures have taken over her mind, not her vagina. What?

THEY say Genesis 6:2 is about a real penis meeting a real vagina. I did not make that up. Am I wrong to explain in bodily parts what they teach in churches? Why?

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why, according to YOU, doesn't 1 Corinthians 15:33 mean that if you preach anything which is wrong it will spoil what you preach which is right?

James 3:10-12 James 3:1

To me it is obvious that people have lost their ability to reason. Is it what might have happened to the good (righteously inclined, not pretty) women of Genesis 6:2?

I'm asking. Is it as though all Christians are actually ignoring the least one?

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Come hell or high water you will keep on teaching that associations mean people and so people are able to cause spoilage.
Compare Revelation 11:18 διαφθείροντας and 1 Corinthians 15:33 φθείρουσιν

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So, am I wrong? Or are you going to ignore me as a "bad association"?

IF YOU insist on 1 Corinthians 15:33 meaning people, you will miss its real meaning. Won't cha?

James 3:1
3 Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, knowing that we will receive heavier* judgment.+

atpollard

Sorry, busy day.
Interesting first post.
Even if I don't agree with it (I am still thinking it over and have not reached a final decision) you did your homework and made your case, so I gave a like for that alone!

Going back to the greater context, the point is not about people vs thoughts, it is about avoiding anything that will drag you off course. In life, I find this is often like the issue of "meat dedicated to idols" in that it is a very personal thing. There are things I avoid because they harm me in a way that they do not harm other people, and there are temptations that I do not struggle with that others do.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sorry, busy day.
Interesting first post.
Even if I don't agree with it (I am still thinking it over and have not reached a final decision) you did your homework and made your case, so I gave a like for that alone!

Going back to the greater context, the point is not about people vs thoughts, it is about avoiding anything that will drag you off course. In life, I find this is often like the issue of "meat dedicated to idols" in that it is a very personal thing. There are things I avoid because they harm me in a way that they do not harm other people, and there are temptations that I do not struggle with that others do.
I accept what you are saying is true. But I disagree that to be dragged away from something is in any way the same as spoilage or ruin.

Why would the writer write "corrupt" instead of what you say he really means which is to be dragged away?

Literally: Not cause to wander corrupt character good companionship bad

It is not so easy to discern what he means by companionship as we can see the form of the word is written just once. http://biblehub.com/greek/omiliai_3657.htm

If you can go to that link, there are entries that some scholars have chosen to compare the word companions with. Look at it.
Not one entry means people. It is actually a word for speech, eye or swear.

A bad eye spoils good character
Swearing spoils good character.
Bad speech spoils good character

What is the Bible definition of good character, morals, habits?

Isn't it love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faith, mildness self-control with preaching God's Word?

Mark 13:10 Mark 16:15 Matthew 24:14

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faith, mildness self-control These things can't be spoiled or ruined. CORRECT?
People can leave them, and they do. But 1 Corinthians 15 is about something that is WITH you while you practice following Jesus Christ.

For them to make 1 Corinthians 15:33 about other people is to teach you to disregard that spoilage happens within you.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What YOU and THEY want it to say (for some reason unknown) is:

Not cause to wander makes to wander character good companionship bad*

Proverbs 17:24

Looking up wander. https://www.openbible.info/topics/wander

Jeremiah 14:10 This is what the LORD says about this people: "They greatly love to wander; they do not restrain their feet. So the LORD does not accept them; he will now remember their wickedness and punish them for their sins."

Jeremiah 2:24 Do not run until your feet are bare and your throat is dry. But you said, 'It's no use! I love foreign gods, and I must go after them.'

Jeremiah 13:21 What will you say when the LORD sets over you those you cultivated as your special allies? Will not pain grip you like that of a woman in labor?

I am aware that "your special allies" are they that have taught you scripture something Jehovah** never said.

Joel 2:12 Isaiah 1:18 Ezekiel 33:11

Strong's Transliteration Greek English Morphology
3361 [e] μὴ not Adv
4105 [e] planasthe πλανᾶσθε· Be misled: V-PMM/P-2P
5351 [e] phtheirousin φθείρουσιν corrupt V-PIA-3P
2239 [e] ēthē ἤθη character N-ANP
5543 [e] chrēsta χρηστὰ good, Adj-ANP
3657 [e] homiliai ὁμιλίαι companionships N-NFP
2556 [e] kakai κακαί. bad.

**Not God's real name @djhwoodwerks

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Bad association spoils useful habits. See how they teach that spoilage comes from without, not within?
God is able to protect me from myself. It is what following Jesus means.
How does Jehovah protect you from spoilage coming from without as 1 Corinthians 15:33 is being taught?

Does anyone else see?