• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humor In The Bible?

cardero

Citizen Mod
Is there any humor in the Bible? Are there certain scriptures that can make us laugh or is the book to be taken seriously?

Aqualung

Tasty
There's stuff in there that makes me laugh a lot. Like one time I was reading Ezekial in some translation (I don't remember, but it might have been NRSV) but God kept reffering to him as "son of dust" like every other verse, which made me laugh. Proverbs makes me laugh too, becuase it's like 5 proverbs, just repeated in slightly different language.

A

angellous_evangellous

cardero said:
Is there any humor in the Bible? Are there certain scriptures that can make us laugh or is the book to be taken seriously?
Yes, there is humor in the Bible.

Unfortunately for us, we simply have to understand what was funny "back then" to "get" the punchlines. It really is speculation on many verses.

Humor in the Bible
M. C. HazardThe Biblical World, Vol. 53, No. 5. (Sep., 1919), pp. 514-519.
Hazard reviews Judges 9.7-21 as a bit of irony with a tree that doesn't produce fruit. Other possibilities include 1 Kings 18.22-40; Job 13.7-12; Proverbs has plenty of humor - too much to list.

It is likely that Jesus used humor. Matt. 21.23 is listed as an example.

I'm not sure how much Hazard has convinced me. It seems to me like an entire research paper could be devoted to interpreting a passage as humorous, but I definately think that it's possible. FWIW, I've seen some fellows try and prove that certain passages were funny and it did not go over very well. It is exceptionally difficult to prove.