• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human Law: The Law Of Manu

"Law is not, what is to be made, Law is upholding and highlighting your experienced perception on an universal issue"
- Manu

In Sanatan Dharma
Laws can be broadly divided into two broad categories.

Natural Laws called Prakriti Niti
Conscience and Self laws called Atman Niti

Natural Laws/Prakriti Niti, guide a Living and Non Living externally and internally, and is affected by Time and is beyond control.

Conscience and Self Laws/Atman Niti, are laws not affected by Time, it is with in the control of a conscience and life possessor; Living creature.

For a Sanatan Dharmi/Hindu, the Atman Niti can be followed by Karma and Dharma.
The Law Book Of Manu says that every Human must do good Karma and Dharma.

7 Principle Laws

1. A Human must surrender every action to the Supreme Lord not only through worship but also through his deeds like
1.1 Donation to the needy
1.2 Showing the Path of Selfless Karma to the inexperienced ( eg: Newborn, Needy)
1.3 Teaching the care for Nature ( Prakriti)
1.4 Having and developing patience.
1.5 Remaining Well informed and Unbiased before giving a Judgment
1.6 He must not harm any human mentally or physically, must not let it happen to.

2. A Human must not take the Path of Adharma (non righteousness)
2.1 He must not steal
2.2 He must not cheat
2.3 He must not harm animal unnecessarily
2.4 He must not take advantage of any situation
2.5 He must not take help of the wrongdoers

3.A Human must try to stay unaffected by crests and trough of life, and execute action in full willingness without the urge and attachment of result.

4.A Human must accept the opinion of others and Judge and Give the liberty to others to do the same.

5.A Human must accept the cycle of Nature, learn from it.

6.A Human; When sees the rise of Adharma, must take it as an duty to Destroy it, and bring peace, stability, and Dharma.

7.A Human must Regard each soul as a part of The Supreme Lord and must meditate to recognize it.

Ask if any doubts.:)

Last edited:
The Law No. 7 elaborates-
Meditation, is the only process through which you can have a control over your mind; which may be disturbed and may not allow you to think correctly and as a result may lead to false illusionary emotions like - hatred, jealous, envy etc.

That is why, the 7th Law reminds Mankind that, every soul is a part of The Supreme Lord (which we tend to forget when we are disturbed so that we may not commit Adharma)
and if we are disturbed we can re-recognize it with meditation.

It is also in correspondence to the 3rd Law

Law 7 instructs Humans not to commit Adharma
Law 6 instructs Humans to destroy those who commit Adharma, that is, those who have committed Adharma has violated the 7th Law and can be dangerous to the Humankind and the Nature, hence, the commiters of Adharma has lost the status of a purified soul, which is a part of the eternal Lord

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The Laws of Manu are controversial in nature, and not considered as valid scripture any more by most Hindus. Their primary use these days is by the anti-Hindu in misleading non-Hindus about what we believe. So anyone venturing into this thread should keep that in mind.

Obviously, we're not taught to destroy non-believers.

You must clear your conception on an commiter of Adharma and a non believer.

Dharma, means the right way of leading your life
Dharma does not mean religion, which most of the Hindus and Non Hindus misinterpret.
Hence Adharma (as given in Law 2) is not about non believers, it defines Adharma as committing unsocial things.
The Laws 3 and 6 are also mentioned in the eternal words of the Bhagavat Gita.
Now can you justify the book th Law Book Of Manu as controversial.

I think you may apply Law 1.4 and Law 1.5 to yourself
Be patient to know more and be well informed before Judgment.

It is my trust that the readers visiting the Thread can Judge what is right and what is wrong

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Law 6 instructs Humans to destroy those who commit Adharma, that is, those who have committed Adharma has violated the 7th Law and can be dangerous to the Humankind and the Nature, hence, the commiters of Adharma has lost the status of a purified soul, which is a part of the eternal Lord

It doesn't say to destroy the people, it says to destroy the adharma. You don't have to kill someone to make them stop doing bad things.
Since being Dharmic also includes being non-violent, it would indeed be a conflict to suggest that killing is acceptable.

There is no need to quote or memorise a set of laws before you know what to do. Laws are meant for animals. Humans have something called conscience, and is their "ready-reference-book".

ManuSmriti! Really!

I agree with Vinayaka here totally and will not waste my energy here.

KT

There is no need to quote or memorise a set of laws before you know what to do. Laws are meant for animals. Humans have something called conscience, and is their "ready-reference-book".

ManuSmriti! Really!

I agree with Vinayaka here totally and will not waste my energy here.

KT

Nobody has asked you to memorize the Laws.
You have not read the definition of "Law"
Law is an " experienced perception" and to perceive conscience is needed

It doesn't say to destroy the people, it says to destroy the adharma. You don't have to kill someone to make them stop doing bad things.
Since being Dharmic also includes being non-violent, it would indeed be a conflict to suggest that killing is acceptable.

Dharmic does not Always mean non-violent

In Hindu scriptures Dharma is always associated with Ksatriya (the Warrior Class)
The same imagery in the Bhagavat Gita.
Non- violent should be the ultimate, but up to a limit to tackle Adharma

Thank You

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Dharmic does not Always mean non-violent

In Hindu scriptures Dharma is always associated with Ksatriya (the Warrior Class)
The same imagery in the Bhagavat Gita.
Non- violent should be the ultimate, but up to a limit to tackle Adharma

Thank You

Extremely slippery slope, but I'm out of this thread too, unless it get really overboard, like Himmler went.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
thankyou vinayaka ji for directing me to this thread ,

why is everyone running away from learning somthing ?

laws are there for guidance so that we may refer to them in times of uncertanty :namaste

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram saffron ji

any one wishing to answer this question should refer to the bhagavad gita , where upon krsna takes great pains to explain to arjuna that being a kshatriya the duty falls upon him to kill those of adharmic nature , and explains that by doing so he does not kill the soul but that the soul itself is eternal , krsna says ....''never was there a time when you or I did not exist ''.....

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
thankyou vinayaka ji for directing me to this thread ,

why is everyone running away from learning somthing ?

laws are there for guidance so that we may refer to them in times of uncertanty :namaste

I agree ... laws (in Hinduism) are for guidance. The word 'law' is an utterly poor word for translation, and you know who did the translating.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
namaskaram saffron ji

any one wishing to answer this question should refer to the bhagavad gita , where upon krsna takes great pains to explain to arjuna that being a kshatriya the duty falls upon him to kill those of adharmic nature , and explains that by doing so he does not kill the soul but that the soul itself is eternal , krsna says ....''never was there a time when you or I did not exist ''.....

I really hate to sound like a bickerer, but once again, The BG is a Vaishnava scripture, and not all sects consider it authoritative. That is not to say it doesn't contain great wisdom.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste,

You guys have no idea how hard I am trying to not comment about meat eating and Manu Smriti. It's eating at me from the inside out. :foot:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3495328 said:
Namaste,

You guys have no idea how hard I am trying to not comment about meat eating and Manu Smriti. It's eating at me from the inside out. :foot:

Yes, I'm considering opting out of this one too. Maybe it's too late for me, but it isn't for you. My foot's already in my mouth, and I'm starting to chew. :)

http://hinduism.about.com/library/weekly/extra/bl-lawsofmanu9.htm

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Yes, I'm considering opting out of this one too. Maybe it's too late for me, but it isn't for you. My foot's already in my mouth, and I'm starting to chew. :)

The Laws of Manu: Full Text Translation by G. Buhler - Chapter 9

I noticed that the date for Manu Smriti was 1500BCE (mentioned at the very top).

Must be a typo.

I thought Indologists loathe to give old dates to Hindu scriptures - they wouldn't even allow Rig Veda to have a date of 1700 plus, and the last Veda, the Atharva Veda is usually given a time period of 1000-700BCE in terms of conception/revelation.

In other words, what in the world are they doing by giving a Smriti text a date of 1500BCE?? The language the Manu Smriti was written in didn't even exist back then.