• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would living in Barrow, Alaska affect the time sensitive qualties of your religion

amorphous_constellation

So, many of you have religions that depend on day and night actually occurring .. Or at least they evolved with that thinking in place, or it is likely relevant to your theological wisdom or assumptions.. But in Barrow, the sun doesn't rise for 65 days in part of the year, and doesn't set for 65 in another part. How would that affect your rituals, religious rules etc... and if you would have to rely on a man made time keeping object to indicate when a day occurred that was important, would this artificial object become holy in the technical sense

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So, many of you have religions that depend on day and night actually occurring .. Or at least they evolved with that thinking in place, or it is likely relevant to your theological wisdom or assumptions.. But in Barrow, the sun doesn't rise for 65 days in part of the year, and doesn't set for 65 in another part. How would that affect your rituals, religious rules etc.
As a Buddhist, I do not follow any rituals as such, And actually there is no left, right, up and down in the universe (that is only a human invention) So as in Buddhism the teaching does not say anything about meditating or pray in a special direction or do rituals in a special direction.

amorphous_constellation

As a Buddhist, I do not follow any rituals as such, And actually there is no left, right, up and down in the universe (that is only a human invention) So as in Buddhism the teaching does not say anything about meditating or pray in a special direction or do rituals in a special direction.

Ok, but in Buddhism your saying that there was no importance for the concept of day and night interaction? Or things you do in the evening or morning in relation to what the sun or moon does? I don't know much about it, but I'll take your word for it I guess

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Ok, but in Buddhism your saying that there was no importance for the concept of day and night interaction? Or things you do in the evening or morning in relation to what the sun or moon does? I don't know much about it, but I'll take your word for it I guess
In my experience yes it does not matter if I meditate in the morning, noon or afternoon or at night.

74x12

So, many of you have religions that depend on day and night actually occurring .. Or at least they evolved with that thinking in place, or it is likely relevant to your theological wisdom or assumptions.. But in Barrow, the sun doesn't rise for 65 days in part of the year, and doesn't set for 65 in another part. How would that affect your rituals, religious rules etc... and if you would have to rely on a man made time keeping object to indicate when a day occurred that was important, would this artificial object become holy in the technical sense
Wouldn't affect me as a Christian. We are supposed to serve God in the Spirit rather than rituals like they did in the old Testament.

There are some scriptures that have to do with day/night but they can easily be understood differently. For example "let not the sun go down upon your wrath" could just mean don't end the day(or in this case the day period of time you've set) while still angry. Etc.

amorphous_constellation

Wouldn't affect me as a Christian. We are supposed to serve God in the Spirit rather than rituals like they did in the old Testament.
I thought they spent centuries trying to figure out what calendar to use, where easter is located etc.. times for morning or evening prayers. Maybe my question is more pertinent to Catholics. In any case, I would think that it would at least make Genesis pretty hard to understand

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
It wouldn't impact my religion practice negatively since my religion is Nordic. :D Don't have to live in the far north for it to work but it would be awkward living in the tropics and trying to be a Heathen. Haha.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I asked a Muslim friend about this once, and he said they use the timing in the largest urban center due south. So Vancouver Canada or Seattle I suppose. When I asked a swami in my sampradaya, he just looked at me and said, "No Hindu in their right mind would live up there." But seriously, I'm sure most people could adapt.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

The Northern peoples of Germany, Scandinavia, Norway etc, were well used to harsh, long, dark winters. This takes no toll on my religious rites. Even if the timing mattered, it is more about the differences in sunrise/set from the previous ritual, not necessarily at a "set time".

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

As I remember, Buddhism does have some lunar cycle holidays.Most of which a full moon days.

Thanksgiving and Easter are technically lunar calendar, but we just observe the day not the astrological inpact. So nothing for Christians.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As I remember, Buddhism does have some lunar cycle holidays.Most of which a full moon days.

Thanksgiving and Easter are technically lunar calendar, but we just observe the day not the astrological inpact. So nothing for Christians.
I think the Buddhist holidays you referring to are the Vesak, the celebration of Buddha's awakening (said to have been on a full moon night). Yes, many do go to the monastery at Vesak, But it is not something we MUST do to be a good Buddhist :) And probably it is invented after Buddha passed away.