• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would Jesus want us to respond to terrorism?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Be prepared to stop them. The god of the New Testament is the same God as the OT.
No, the God of the OT is a tribal war god.

Jesus' focus was on individual righteousness and building one's treasure in Heaven rather than on Earth. His focus was on the afterlife, not on any practical, worldly concerns. He was fine with poverty, suffering and misery in one's worldly life as long as it would benefit one in the long run. After all, how would it benefit you to gain the whole world, if you loose your soul?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, that's the general view. But I always wonder how Jews view this view. What I think hear from them is that God is merciful and loving, a loving Father. This is also what I hear from Muslims I know.

Any of our Jewish and Muslim brethren and sistren (yes, that is the word) care to weigh in?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

Jesus' focus was on individual righteousness and building one's treasure in Heaven rather than on Earth. His focus was on the afterlife, not on any practical, worldly concerns. He was fine with poverty, suffering and misery in one's worldly life as long as it would benefit one in the long run. After all, how would it benefit you to gain the whole world, if you loose your soul?
You really need to study the Old Testament a lot more if you think God was all about war then. He is the same God. And Jesus advocated self-defense, BTW. He wasn't a pacifist.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Provide a quote. Provide a Roman source. There are none. The Romans mentioned nothing about Jesus. Ooh ooh, how ‘bout “Therefore render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s and render unto God what is God’s” when asked about paying taxes to the state”? Care to spin that? Oh wait, that’s from the Bible. Why weren’t the Sanhedrin, Pharisees and other priests prosecuted by the Romans? Why weren’t the synagogues raided and closed down? Who were the religious authorities? Who kept the teachings? An itinerant backwater preacher from a jerkwater town in Galilee and his ragtag band of misfits? Galilee was the Alabama of Judea.

Read some Roman history, then consider jesus was just another subject of a conquered land instead of relying on the bible which was selectively compiled by committee almost 400 years after JCs death, is not a history book and mostly considered metaphor

Sheesh,

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Read some Roman history, then consider jesus was just another subject of a conquered land instead of relying on the bible which was selectively compiled by committee almost 400 years after JCs death, is not a history book and mostly considered metaphor

Sheesh,

You still haven’t provided quotes or citations from your Roman sources about Jesus.

ChristineM

Premium Member
You still haven’t provided quotes or citations from your Roman sources about Jesus.

I am talking Rome, not a single person. Roman law/pax romana did not change because a bible was involved 400 years later.

Most traitors who were crucified are not mentioned in roman history, why do you expect JC to take up pages?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I am talking Rome, not a single person. Roman law/pax romana did not change because a bible was involved 400 years later.

Most traitors who were crucified are not mentioned in roman history, why do you expect JC to take up pages?

So, there's no mention of Jesus in Roman writings about being a traitor. I see, so you don't have anything supporting Jesus being a traitor in Roman writings, just in the Bible which you don't believe is reliable. Thanks.

ChristineM

Premium Member
So, there's no mention of Jesus in Roman writings about being a traitor. I see, so you don't have anything supporting Jesus being a traitor in Roman writings, just in the Bible which you don't believe is reliable. Thanks.

Ask Theodosius why there are no negative documents about JC

And i see you have the bible to tell you he was a magic man, cool. I'm so happy you believe that as opposed to history.

As i said, the pax Romana was sacrosanct. Traitors to Rome were crucified (and only traitors to Rome, other crimes had other means of execution) therefore his death alone shouts loudly that he was a traitor.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Ask Theodosius why there are no negative documents about JC

And i see you have the bible to tell you he was a magic man, cool. I'm so happy you believe that as opposed to history.

As i said, the pax Romana was sacrosanct. Traitors to Rome were crucified (and only traitors to Rome, other crimes had other means of execution) therefore his death alone shouts loudly that he was a traitor.

You haven’t shown any history. You keep repeating the same thing, no substance. Back up your statements.

ChristineM

Premium Member
You haven’t shown any history. You keep repeating the same thing, no substance. Back up your statements.

I am not giving you a history lesson, the data is freely available, if you don't like it its not my problem. Cheers

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
History makes my belief somewhat more valid than the bible. And luckily, history doesn't need your agreement

You still haven’t shown where Roman history says Jesus was a traitor. What are you reading that says he was? Unless you’re going to say Pax Romana again.

ChristineM

Premium Member
You still haven’t shown where Roman history says Jesus was a traitor. What are you reading that says he was? Unless you’re going to say Pax Romana again.

Crucifixion was intended to be a gruesome spectacle: the most painful and humiliating death imaginable.[90][91] It was used to punish slaves, pirates, and enemies of the state. It was originally reserved for slaves (hence still called "supplicium servile" by Seneca), and later extended to citizens of the lower classes (humiliores).[42] The victims of crucifixion were stripped naked[42][92] and put on public display[93][94] while they were slowly tortured to death so that they would serve as a spectacle and an example.[90][91]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion

So was jesus a slave? No, wax he a pirate? No. Only one alternative,in bold and underlined for your perusal

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Crucifixion was intended to be a gruesome spectacle: the most painful and humiliating death imaginable.[90][91] It was used to punish slaves, pirates, and enemies of the state. It was originally reserved for slaves (hence still called "supplicium servile" by Seneca), and later extended to citizens of the lower classes (humiliores).[42] The victims of crucifixion were stripped naked[42][92] and put on public display[93][94] while they were slowly tortured to death so that they would serve as a spectacle and an example.[90][91]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion

So was jesus a slave? No, wax he a pirate? No. Only one alternative,in bold and underlined for your perusal

Last time... where is it recorded EXCEPT THE BIBLE WHICH YOU DON’T BELIEVE that he even existed? Do you even know what point you’re trying to make?

:rolleyes:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Last time... where is it recorded EXCEPT THE BIBLE WHICH YOU DON’T BELIEVE that he even existed? Do you even know what point you’re trying to make?

:rolleyes:

Don't tell me what i believe, fyi, i do believe he existed but not as described in the bible.

Yes, the point i am making is that traitors to Rome were crucified. I am sure you are aware of that, you have spent the last couple of days trying to diss it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't tell me what i believe, fyi, i do believe he existed but not as described in the bible.

Yes, the point i am making is that traitors to Rome were crucified. I am sure you are aware of that, you have spent the last couple of days trying to diss it.

Where this exchange has gone...

You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop:

is

ChristineM

Premium Member
Where this exchange has gone...

You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop:

is

Strawman but thanks

My comments are historically accurate
Your are based on belied in the bible.

I'll take history over myth any time