• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to Vote

What's your strategy?

• Vote the party line

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • The cynical none vote

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • The tactical vote

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • The strategical vote

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Voting one's own interest

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Voting one's consciousness

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Voting on personality

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Voting the issues

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Heyo

Veteran Member
No, I don't want to tell you for whom to vote.
I also don't want to go into the details of voting.

This is about the possible strategies to decide for whom you vote (or not).

Most may already have a strategy in mind and most may not even be aware they have one or that there are different strategies - which makes it hard for them to understand the motivation of others. Here is a (non comprehensive) list:

Vote the party line
If you like to make a decision and stick to it. Makes voting easy once you decided to go for a direction.

The cynical none vote
It's a sham anyway; what can my one vote do, anyhow?; I don't care about politics; etc. Even easier than above.

The tactical vote
Voting a short term goal, e.g. voting Biden to prevent Trump, even if Biden isn't the candidate you'd like to have.

The strategical vote
Voting a long term goal even if it may hurt a short term goal. E.g. not voting Biden to force the dems to the left.

Voting one's own interest
Voting for the candidate that promises personal benefits, is from your region, is connected to your industry, ...

Voting one's conscience
Voting for the moral party / against an immoral candidate.

Voting on personality
Voting for a candidate based on their trustworthiness.

Voting the issues
Voting for the candidate / party most aligned with your (weighted) position over all the issues on the platform. This is the most work. There are online tools to help with this complex decision: 2020 Political Quiz and others. Warning! This may lead to results you're not expecting!

Sometimes multiple strategies can work together.

What's your strategy? One not listed? (Always interested to learn.)

Last edited:

Daemon Sophic

Definitively voting on the issues. I am an independent and as such I simply look at what values and issues that the candidates are representing.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Voting one's consciousness
Voting for the moral party / against an immoral candidate.
Voting the issues

My #1 focus is on ethics/morality. As I've noted in other threads, there are no saints in politics. Instead we have the usual clash of egos and self-interest.

But some try to walk an upward path and work on reflecting positive values. Others don't. Even with personal motives in play, some see their own status dependent on doing as much good as they can.

Then for me issues come into play. I'm mostly a technocrat and want problems solved. I'm open to hearing different ways of solving problems and will pick a candidate who I think has the most realistic and sensible ideas.

Take, for example, health coverage. To me the ethical imperative of love means that everyone should have decent, affordable health care. How we get there is a valid subject for debate.