• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to think about God

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
As I started to reread this classic book, I was again struck by this passage. Sublime stuff.

This is near the beginning of St. Augustine' Confessions.

CHAPTER II​

And how shall I call upon my God--my God and my Lord? For when I call

on him I ask him to come into me. And what place is there in me into which my God

can come? How could God, the God who made both heaven and earth, come into me?

Is there anything in me, O Lord my God that can contain thee? Do even the heaven

and the earth, which thou hast made, and in which thou didst make me, contain

thee? Is it possible that, since without thee nothing would be which does exist, thou

didst make it so that whatever exists has some capacity to receive thee? Why, then,

do I ask thee to come into me, since I also am and could not be if thou wert not in

me? For I am not, after all, in hell--and yet thou art there too, for “if I go down into hell,

thou art there.” Therefore I would not exist--I would simply not be at all--

unless I exist in thee, from whom and by whom and in whom all things are. Even so,

Lord; even so. Where do I call thee to, when I am already in thee? Or from whence

wouldst thou come into me? Where, beyond heaven and earth, could I go that there

my God might come to me--he who hath said, “I fill heaven and earth”?

Full, free text of this 'great book' is here:

Last edited: