• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to know who you are?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
A very good question :) Thank you @Vinayaka

I would say the person that others see as the physical body (personality maybe) Because as I said, mostly I understand where my spiritual practice is going. But it is how to live a "normal" life together with other people that I struggle with. it seems to be a question from people around me, where am I going in life, what is the reason I change my mind about hobbies or what I want to work with, or why i say or do things the way I do.

But i don't think it is an easy answer to this actually :)
My first thought, which I think has already been said, is that you are a different person to each person you know, and that it’s something to negotiate with each person.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I’ve only read a few of the posts, but I want to ask someone questions before I forget, to better understand what you’re asking. Do you have some thoughts and feelings sometimes about who some other people are, on a personal level of being a human being, or can you think of possible examples of who some other people might say they are? If so, can you give me a few examples?
The OP was about me and my lack of knowing fully who I am as a human being. I feel lost in this world because I feel nobody understands me or what I say. People mixing my words with something I do not intend to say. and it happens again in another thread I started about Falun Gong, where I try to say my wisdom and understanding of the higher truth of Falun Gong can not be seen as any form of teaching of Falun Gong since only Li Hongzhi can teach it. I can only speak of my understanding. And people should not take my word as the highest truth. But I get misunderstood all the time. so i feel lost

Jim

Nets of Wonder
The OP was about me and my lack of knowing fully who I am as a human being. I feel lost in this world because I feel nobody understands me or what I say. People mixing my words with something I do not intend to say. and it happens again in another thread I started about Falun Gong, where I try to say my wisdom and understanding of the higher truth of Falun Gong can not be seen as any form of teaching of Falun Gong since only Li Hongzhi can teach it. I can only speak of my understanding. And people should not take my word as the highest truth. But I get misunderstood all the time. so i feel lost
Thank you. That really gives me something to chew on, and I’ll be chewing on it. For now I’ll say that currently part of my answer to everything is practicing and promoting spiritual growth and community service aimed at improving the lives of all people everywhere and improving the world for future generations; and waiting to post until I can do it with genuinely friendly feelings towards everyone.

Another thought that just came to me is that maybe there’s a part of who you are in every person and in every part of nature.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Thank you. That really gives me something to chew on, and I’ll be chewing on it. For now I’ll say that currently part of my answer to everything is practicing and promoting spiritual growth and community service aimed at improving the lives of all people everywhere and improving the world for future generations; and waiting to post until I can do it with genuinely friendly feelings towards everyone.

Another thought that just came to me is that maybe there’s a part of who you are in every person and in every part of nature.
I like your answer @Jim :)

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Another thought. Is part of this a longing for some companions to travel with on your journey?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Well, when it comes to faith or the cultivation path I kind of know what is needed, But in daily life interacting with others, it is more of a problem for me, honestly, I don't know what I want or need in mundane lifestyle. kind of have very few wishes for my self, most of my life has been about helping others and not focus on me. But my fiancèe thinks I need to focus more on friendship with others or finding a hobby that has nothing to do with spiritual living. And I kind of go blank when someone asks me about this, because it has not been a part of who I identified with for so long.
But she is right :) I am allowed to think of me and what I want too.

Lately, I have taken some interest in woodcarving so i might try to learn about it :)
Maybe you’re thinking that community service might include serving your own interests? Then the question arises, who is that person whose interests you would be serving, if you serve your own interests?

However that may be, maybe if you think about how you learn to know and love other people better, that might give you some ideas about how to know and love yourself better.