• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to choose email converter?

Greyscale

I need the one for converting my emails into Microsoft Outlook PST format, recommendations please? A free/cheap one if it's possible too.

Bob the Unbeliever

I need the one for converting my emails into Microsoft Outlook PST format, recommendations please? A free/cheap one if it's possible too.

NOTE: Before doing ANYTHING to your precious PST file? Make a copy-- and only work with the copy. Don't ask me why I think this is paramount. Just... don't ask. ;)

Well, I did find one possible solution, but you may not like it.

If you have even an older copy of Outlook running? There is an EXPORT feature-- that was the first thing that Google brought up. I would surmise that even old Micro$oft has a "trial" feature within the latest and greatest Outlook-- sign up for the trial. Export everything. Verify the export was As Expected. Then cancel the trial subscription. May or may not work-- but it ought to be free.

I will also note, that you can typically find the binary for an older version of Outlook for free, with a bit of digging here or there. Microsoft, for all their draconian practice, pretty much gave the older binaries away for free. And the web, being what it is, nothing is ever actually thrown away... I once purchased a used Compaq personal digital assistant machine-- yes a PDA -- and it required Outlook to sync. I contacted Microsoft-- and they sent me a link to an unlocked binary download for Outlook. For free. For a used piece of hardware. As I said, the older Outlook binaries are out there.

Bottom line: If you can get Outlook to open a copy of your PST file? Exporting using it, is the best method, IMO.

Now, that being said, there are many email clients, and many of those, include import software that can read the PST file(s) quite nicely. Some require an extension, but again, those are typically free. I'm assuming a Mac or PC, here, as I doubt you're running Outlook on a Chromebook (or android). Back when I was still using Thunderbird? I'm pretty certain there were extensions that could import PST files.

Okay, that's not what you actually asked, is it? A quick Google* brings up literally dozens of trial-ware, and freeware conversion software-- but I've not tried any myself, so I can only offer the Usual Advice:

If you do choose to try one of the free ones? First-- BEFORE downloading? Create a new folder/directory. Download directly into that newly created location. DO NOT RUN IT YET. Run your virus scanner on that folder. At least twice in a row with "no threats found". Then and ONLY then, carefully install-- but use CUSTOM INSTALL option, so you may disable any bundled junkware. My search criteria was "microsoft outlook pst converter" and I got gobs and gobs of options, including several directly from Micro$oft's own forums.

* I used "microsoft outlook pst converter" and got over 780,000 results.

Sensor

Well there are many of them now, considering how widespread is problem with changing MBOX format (and some other) to the PST one. Such converters can be divided into two main types, the ones for installing on your device and the online converters. Both of them have their cons and pros so your choice will depend on your certain needs for the conversion. For example, the online ones are the easiest in using, usually cheap or even free but not all of them are really safe for protecting your mail data. As the best ones among both types are considered for example OutlookConverter Software, Email Migration Service convertemail.online, OutlookImport Apps and Outlook Transfer.