• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How sick can students be?

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
I was just watching the morning news and was really disturbed to the point of losing any appetite I may have had by this story.

School Tainted Dressing

Last Update: 1/25/2005 12:58:48 PM
Posted By: Peter Procopio

VESTAL, N.Y. (AP) - There's been an arrest in the sheep's brain caper at an upstate high school. A student at Vestal High School near Binghamton has been charged with putting parts of a sheep's brain in the cafeteria salad dressing.

Authorities say 17-year-old Michael Walker faces two misdemeanor counts in connection with the January 12th incident. Walker is charged with petit larceny and tampering with a consumer product. He's to appear in a town court next Tuesday. Police say Walker is accused of stealing a sheep's brain from a chemistry lab in the morning and placing it in a bowl of salad dressing that was to be served at lunch time.

Investigators say they don't believe anyone actually consumed the tainted dressing before another student discovered the material in a salad dressing bin. No illnesses were reported by school officials.

(Bob Joseph, WNBF, Binghamton)

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
How sick can students be to do something like this? I think that on top of criminal charges the student should definitely enroll in some counseling or maybe a course that teaches the dangers of food tampering.

What are your thoughts?

FBI

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FyreBrigidIce said:
I was just watching the morning news and was really disturbed to the point of losing any appetite I may have had by this story.

How sick can students be to do something like this? I think that on top of criminal charges the student should definitely enroll in some counseling or maybe a course that teaches the dangers of food tampering.

What are your thoughts?

FBI
Maybe an idiotic prank by a guy who could'nt or would'nt work out the consequences of his action? I agree with you about counselling, but I would have thought that 'community service' in a hospital for a couple of weeks as a form of punishment would make him think!

No*s

Captain Obvious
I have to agree to a point with Mich...we don't know what went through their heads. I can easily see this as a poorly thought-out prank. I hope they get counseling, not prison.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Did he place a large enough chunk of brain into the bowl to be obvious? If so it was probably just a visual prank --probably looked pretty bizarre sitting there in the bowel of dressing.

How is this practical joke any worse than dozens of others kids pull every day? Apparently there was little potential for harm, unlike, say, an exploding cigar or Ex-Lax in the chocolate frosting. The kitchen simply had to replace the salad dressing with a fresh bowl.

Are there details I'm missing that make this prank egregiously bad?

SK2005

Saint in training
That is the most disgusting thing I have heard all day! I think that I'm NOT going to eat lunch in the cafeteria today! :0

Fluffy

A fool
Are there details I'm missing that make this prank egregiously bad?
You are underestimating the ability that humans have to override common sense and logic when dealing with what they see as overwhelmingly disgusting. Just look at homophobia for a classic example.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Fluffy said:
You are underestimating the ability that humans have to override common sense and logic when dealing with what they see as overwhelmingly disgusting. Just look at homophobia for a classic example.

Well said...when people get scared or disgusted they pass stupid laws, and try and convict people, on the most insane things.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
So...

maybe I shouldn't tell about twisting the tops of mustard and catsup bottles almost all the way off and pluggin the holes. You didn't wonder where THAT yellow went.

Or the fruit flies I planted in the cafeteria and in my Physics class. That was "epic".

Or the ammonia tri-iodide crystals we made in Bilogy II (they explode when dry). That made a lasting impression!

Or the dry tempra we sprinkled on one of the dormy's towels. He was green, but not from envy! :D

Practical jokes are seldom practical. But they are also seldom malicious. In this "zero tolerance" atmosphere, I fear we do more to SQUASH creativity than to foment it. Are there lines which should NOT be crossed? Sure... like the rugby team playing with the human head a few years ago. That was more than macabre for most of us. Was the sheep brain over the line? Having not been there, I have no idea.

But I am for the locals meting out justice as they see fit. They have the "inside scoop". BTW, did I ever tell you about how we spread manure over the ENTIRE football field one sunday? :D

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
I guess I got sick because my mind automatically conjured the thought of how the dressing would taste being tainted with the brain and formaldehyde.

FBI

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Was it a preserved brain or a fresh one? Perhaps some people should hold their disgust till they've tried a few brain recipes. It's not a common dish in the US, but it's a perfectly ordinary food in many cultures.

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
Seyorni said:
Was it a preserved brain or a fresh one? Perhaps some people should hold their disgust till they've tried a few brain recipes. It's not a common dish in the US, but it's a perfectly ordinary food in many cultures.
The report did not say. All that was mentioned was that the brain was from a Science lab. I am not sure if there are any farms close enough to the school for someone to be able to provide a fresh one.

I can understand your point about other cultures. However, not every student in the school may feel comfortable not having a choice on whether to eat it without knowing it was in their lunch food.

FBI

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree that, fresh or preserved, it ruined the bowl of dressing, Fyre. Hopefully the adultration was immediatly apparent and the salad dressing quickly replaced.

As far as fresh brain goes. Any butcher shop should be able to supply organ meats -- liver, kidney, brain, sweetbreads &c.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Then there was the time we picked Rasberries. Now back then we did not have AC in our cars. So my sister drove us home while the rasberries slowly fermented in the trunk! :D

Seeing the "mess", I stuck my hand into it and pulled it out. COOL! It looked like I had bood and guts all over me! So I ran into the house screaming that I had just cut my hand off, and my mother actually fainted.

Thump!

Right there on the terrazo floor. Now SHE was bleeding for real from a cut on her arm when she went down.

No, she didn't need stiches or anything, but BOY did I ever feel bad. This wasn't supposed to go down like that! I felt even worse when mom was revived and realized that I had spoofed her. I tried to avoid her for a few days after that.

Yes, we do laugh about it now, but I always make certain that there is nothing between me and the door when we do. :D

Sometimes it's IMPOSSIBLE to see all of the possible repercussions of an act. Part of growing up is learning all about causality and inappropriate behavior.