• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how prominent are concepts forgiveness in jain scriptures?

specifically, I'm trying to compare Jaina to Christianity and compassion is one point of comparison... So, I am wondering how prominent are the concepts of Maitri (universal friendliness) Kshama (universal forgiveness) and Jiva-daya -charity compassion etc., do the scriptures like the agamas, tattvartha sutra, sanmatti prakaran, etc., speak of them very often and are they main concepts in Jain or do they take the sideline to karma theory, non-attachement, reincarnation concepts, only being mentioned sparsely if at all?
In Christianity of course Jesus promotes love as second only to love of God, washes his disciples feet, refers to the God of love, etc., love and compassion/empathy are very big concepts in the New Testament.

I'm really trying to find the most ethical religion so I've come to a toss up between Jain and Christian and am trying to decide.

These are very important concepts in Jain Scripture. Forgiveness is something that Mahavir emphasied alot! In Jainism you are supposed to be a friend to all life, to give all forgiveness, and to give compassion to all. There is even a phrase that is "Micchami Dukkadam" This is a phrase of forgiveness to all beings and a phrase that also askes for forgiveness. In Jainism there is no condemnation really, your supposed to forgive all! All condemnation comes from your own Karma from your own actions. Mahavir was tortured a few times while an ascetic, but because of his compassion and forgiveness he never condemned them once! He was very compassionate and always told his followers to ask for forgiveness and to give forgiveness.

And if your really interested in Jainism, look at the sites I have posted in my thread about converting to Jainism. Im having the Jain university help me on my conversion process.

Edit: It is a hard religion to follow though, because of Asceticism. Its one of the last Shraman (Ascetic) religions out there!

anant

COncept of forgiveness in Jainism can be described by the following Jaina shloka which is a part of everyday prayer (and very dear to me):

khamemi savva jeeve, savve jeeva khmantume
mitti me savvabhueshu, vairam majh na knayi.

I beg forgiveness to all living being and I forgive all. Every being is a friend of mine and nobody is an enemy.