• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How popular is Trump with the Republican Party ?

ronki23

Maybe a little naive but if some Republicans Senators don't agree with Trump, and all Democrat Senators don't agree with Trump, then how are his decisions getting approved ?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe a little naive but if some Republicans Senators don't agree with Trump, and all Democrat Senators don't agree with Trump, then how are his decisions getting approved ?

A lot of Republicans are stuck between a rock and a hard place, since Trump has a fanatical base. So, even if they don't agree with Trump or don't like him, they can't come out as too much against him, lest they lose a large chunk of support from within their own party.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Most of his decisions aren't getting approved.

Most of what he's done to date is stuff that the Senate doesn't get to weigh in on: executive orders, general oversight of the executive branch, that sort of thing.

He's also been criticized for not getting the Senate's approval on things they're supposed to approve. There have been a few cases now where the head of an agency has stepped down, and the Senate is supposed to confirm their replacements. What Trump has been doing is appointing a replacement, calling them "acting hwad" of the agency, and never bothering to get them confirmed by the Senate.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Very few Republican Senators do not tow the Trump line.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Some Republican Senators claim to be “disappointed”, but they consistently vote along party lines regardless.

ronki23

I'm confused: I thought the President and VP are the ones who approve what the Senate says, not the other way around ?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

The new survey finds Trump with 83% support among Republicans and a six-point lead among voters not affiliated with either major party. Biden has 83% of the Democrat vote.

White House Watch

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think it has more to do with who is going to do a worse job.

With Trump I think I won't have to worry about higher taxes and increased regulatory restrictions that manifest each and every time a Democrat is in office that leaves me with less individual freedom and income making me poorer and poorer as a blue collar worker.

Biden will almost with certainty have the opposite effect of my views on Republican policymaking, and will in turn create a more expensive and more restricted way of life for people.

Its the classic voting for the lesser of the two evils and I'm still debating weither I want to contribute to that anymore.

Its why I'm entertaining joining a new party that is neither Democrat or Republican whom in my opinion, will in tandem destroy this country and way of life for the common people if they both don't get their act together soon.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Its mostly because the Republicans have the pro-life plank and do things like de-fund Planned Parenthood that Trump was able to get elected and maintains his base. I think this is widely known. Democrats want a European style approach with publicly funded abortion. Many people are not Ok with that on a very fanatical level.

Shaul

Premium Member
Its mostly because the Republicans have the pro-life plank and do things like de-fund Planned Parenthood that Trump was able to get elected and maintains his base. I think this is widely known. Democrats want a European style approach with publicly funded abortion. Many people are not Ok with that on a very fanatical level.
I don’t think this is true. While Republicans do have a Pro-life platform and the Democrats are more pro-choice, it isn’t true that most people vote based on that. Those that see the world through a myopic prism of abortion stance are not the majority. The majority of voters are motivated by pocketbook issues.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I don’t think this is true. While Republicans do have a Pro-life platform and the Democrats are more pro-choice, it isn’t true that most people vote based on that. Those that see the world through a myopic prism of abortion stance are not the majority. The majority of voters are motivated by pocketbook issues.
It is a coalition, yes. It is a coalition which relies upon this lynch pin.

Shaul

Premium Member
Trump is a populist. His base transcends Party affiliation. Lest it be forgotten Trump was once a Democrat. He was also a darling among Democrats so long as he was a gadfly among Republicans. They lauded him until he had the temerity to think that he, Donald Trump, could actually deign to seriously run for President. When he first announced he was routinely mocked and dismissed as not a serious person. Then, as it became apparent, he might actually disrupt the status quo of Beltway insiders, they turned on him with a fierce hatred, both Democrat and Republican insiders. Because he is an outsider and not beholden to the “club” he was seen as a true threat. He still is. The Illuminati hate that his power is based on the people directly and they know they can’t control him.

Friend of Mara

This is anecdotal I realize but that was the most prominent single issue voter got button. An example was a center right feminist teacher I knew hated trump but solely on abortion voted for him.

ronki23

If the Senate is what makes the laws then why is Trump to be blamed ? I thought Presidents make the laws and Congress decides yay or nay but it seems the other way around ?

Tambourine

If the Senate is what makes the laws then why is Trump to be blamed ? I thought Presidents make the laws and Congress decides yay or nay but it seems the other way around ?
By my understanding, a lot of Trump's decisions have been executive orders or directives that do not need to pass legislative scrutiny.

ronki23

Why are the deficits high under Trump: what has public spending been on ? Generally right wing governments prefer privatised businesses

tytlyf

Not Religious
The republican party is attempting to leave Trumpism quietly. Republicans who haven't strayed far-right are most likely supporting Biden now. They're still republicans, just not supporting Trump.
You can see this trend in how the 65+ year old crowd is now supporting Biden. Historically, the senior vote has been republican. Even in 2016, Trump had the senior vote. That's the republican base.
Biden has shifted the support by +30% compared to 2016.

Biden has picked up those disgruntled republicans and Trump has lost their vote.