• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many will go to Heaven?

Which option best describes your belief?

• Slightly more than half will go to Heaven

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Squirt

This is to be a debate between Christians only.

There have been several threads recently on the subject of how far God's mercy will extend. We have people on opposite ends of the spectrum, which always makes things interesting. Please let's not get into the issue of whether its up to us to judge. We all know, deep in our hearts, that God's going to be doing the judging. But what I am interested in seeing is, based upon your own understanding of the scriptures, what proportion of mankind living from the time of Adam until the day of our judgment will actually end up in Heaven.

alextemplet

I think more people will go to heaven than hell, because throughout history most people have died in childhood; in some parts of the world this is still true. I believe that all who die in childhood (especially infancy) go to heaven by default, since they are too young to know right from wrong and thus cannot be blamed for any major sins. I'm not sure exactly how many more will be in heaven than hell, but I do believe the majority will go to heaven because of this.

Squirt

alextemplet said:
I think more people will go to heaven than hell, because throughout history most people have died in childhood; in some parts of the world this is still true. I believe that all who die in childhood (especially infancy) go to heaven by default, since they are too young to know right from wrong and thus cannot be blamed for any major sins. I'm not sure exactly how many more will be in heaven than hell, but I do believe the majority will go to heaven because of this.
That's interesting. Would this include babies who died without baptism? I ask because I thought that Roman Catholicism taught that an unbaptized child would not go to Heaven. Am I wrong in this?

Also, since you voted that well over half will go to Heaven, I am assuming that you have taken into consideration that well over half are not Christians. Does that change your answer?

alextemplet

Some Catholics used to believe that unbaptized children go to hell; some probably still do, but I do not. The Church has never officially stated one way or the other, so I decide for myself that a loving and merciful God would never condemn a child for something that's not his/her fault. In fact I just happened to read this yesterday:

Parents shall not be put to death for their children, nor shall children be put to death for their parents; only for their own crimes may persons be put to death. ~ Deuteronomy 24:16

It's not the child's fault if it dies without baptism; therefore, according to what this verse tells us, they shall not be condemned for it.

As for non-Christians, I believe that they can be saved just like anyone else. I believe everyone will be saved or condemned based on the kind of life they lead; if they live a good life, God will grant His grace; if not, God will grant His judgment. That's the way I see it.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I think God only knows the answer to this. I certainly can't guess.

I believe that all who are in Christ will go to heaven.

Squirt

dawny0826 said:
I think God only knows the answer to this. I certainly can't guess.
Well, so do I. That's why I started out by saying that. :D

I believe that all who are in Christ will go to heaven.
And what about good people who are not "in Christ" -- let's just say Ghandi, for instance. Are babies and little children "in Christ." If so, and if they are born to parents who do not believe in Christ, at what point are these children no longer "in Christ"?

(You know I'm persistent, Dawny. I don't ask questions unless I want to hear some good discussion! ;) )

alextemplet

I do believe that if you're a good person, it doesn't matter what you believe; God will reward you as you deserve. The reason I believe this is:

For the Son of Man is to come with His angels in the glory of His Father, and then He will repay every man for what He has done. ~ Matther 16:27

Here Jesus plainly states that we will be saved or condemned based on what we have done, not what we believe. So yes, non-Christians can be saved.

Adstar

A large number of people will have eternity with God.

Revelation 7
9 After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands, 10 and crying out with a loud voice, saying, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!” 11 All the angels stood around the throne and the elders and the four living creatures, and fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, 12 saying:

“ Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom,
Thanksgiving and honor and power and might,
Be to our God forever and ever.
Amen.”

13 Then one of the elders answered, saying to me, “Who are these arrayed in white robes, and where did they come from?”
14 And I said to him, “Sir, you know.”
So he said to me, “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 15 Therefore they are before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple. And He who sits on the throne will dwell among them.

But as to the percentage of all the people who have ever existed? it might be a small percentage.

Matthew 7
13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Adstar

Squirt said:
Adstar,

I'm curious as to how you reconcile the following statements which appear to me to be contradictory:

"A large number of people will have eternity with God.

...there are few who find it."

See the word few as a percentage of the total number. Lets just pull a figure out of the air just for an example. Lets say the few are 3 % of the total. Now lets say that in he history of humanity a total of 1,000,000,000,000,000, or 1 trillion people have existed. 3 % of this number is 30,000,000,000,000, or 30 Billion.

So the percentage can be small but it can also be a great number indeed.

may

144,000 will go to heaven to rule with Jesus christ as kings and priests.And I saw, and, look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads revelation 14;1
And I heard the number of those who were sealed, a hundred and forty-four thousand, revelation 7;4
(Revelation 14:3) And they are singing as if a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders; and no one was able to master that song but the hundred and forty-four thousand, who have been bought from the earth

SoyLeche

meh...
Adstar said:
See the word few as a percentage of the total number. Lets just pull a figure out of the air just for an example. Lets say the few are 3 % of the total. Now lets say that in he history of humanity a total of 1,000,000,000,000,000, or 1 trillion people have existed. 3 % of this number is 30,000,000,000,000, or 30 Billion.

So the percentage can be small but it can also be a great number indeed.

So, in other words, your "large number" and "few" are totally subjective.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I hardly need to post here; most of you know how I voted! Anyone want to guess?
In my opinion, it's the only answer that makes any sense, in light of the gospel message.

literal visionary

I think about 3/4 of the world will go into heaven

i think gods wants to let peopl to go heaven, so he'll let them get away with stuff
but some people would never be able to stand the infinite peace,

ive met people who are just pure evil, who do everything just so they can continue their evil, i dont think they would want vto be in heaven really

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
And what about good people who are not "in Christ" -- let's just say Ghandi, for instance. Are babies and little children "in Christ." If so, and if they are born to parents who do not believe in Christ, at what point are these children no longer "in Christ"?

I don't know the answer to this. But God does and whatever HE decides is how it should be.

Super Universe

Defender of God
may said:
144,000 will go to heaven to rule with Jesus christ as kings and priests.And I saw, and, look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads revelation 14;1
And I heard the number of those who were sealed, a hundred and forty-four thousand, revelation 7;4
(Revelation 14:3) And they are singing as if a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders; and no one was able to master that song but the hundred and forty-four thousand, who have been bought from the earth

The above quotes could mean:
There were 144,000 brought from the earth to heaven at the time that Revelations was written. That does not mean there are only 144,000 total spots.

If you see yourself as an individual and a soul then know that all souls return to God. Individuals will return with the soul if they choose to do no harm and live a moral life.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
may said:
[/quote

By the way, you neglected to add the conclusion of Rev 7:4,which is extremely essential to understand this scripture and that indicates to me you are using your scriptures to fit your theology and false doctrines that only a select group of your orgainization are the chosen ones,how convenient not to mention send people a totally mixed message
Rev 7:4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: [and there were] sealed an hundred [and] forty [and] four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

Did you forget to mention they were JEWS from Israel,and in Rev 14:4 they were undefiled with women and " VIRGINS" the First Fruits, and no deciet was found in their mouth and were without fault.
I don't think that your leaders are all Jews, if in fact any are.

If you studied your History you or anyone would see that the prophecies of the end of the world where many of the propaganda your orgainization used to assist in the conversion of people.
If you need that history I will be more then happy to comply.
1914,1915,1918,1957,these were some of the prophecies that your elders perdicted was the end of the world.But time past and so did the prophecies
When your orgainization grew larger then 144,000 ,they changed their whole philosophies and numbers .....etc

Rev 14:1 Then I looked, and behold, *a Lamb standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, *having His Father's name written on their foreheads. 2 And I heard a voice from heaven, like the voice of many waters, and like the voice of loud thunder. And I heard the sound of harpists playing their harps. 3 They sang as it were a new song before the throne, before the four living creatures, and the elders; and no one could learn that song except the hundred and forty-four thousand who were redeemed from the earth. 4 These are the ones who were not defiled with women, for they are virgins. These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes. These were *redeemed from among men, being firstfruits to God and to the Lamb. 5 And in their mouth was found no *deceit, for they are without fault *before the throne of God.

If you are going to use scripture ,be sure to use it in context,pulling scripture in and throwing it out as you see fit only destroys the the true message and tends to describe those who are creating a new doctrine,and that my friend is "TABOO" with God
As your interpretation of the 144,000 and that of your orgainization is exremely bias and unscriptural and so far off from the truth and it is apparent you believe what you are told as oppossed to studying the true scriptures for yourself.
But if you read the entirity of this passage
Rev 7:4 And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed:

5 of the tribe of Judah twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Reuben twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Gad twelve thousand were sealed;
6 of the tribe of Asher twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Naphtali twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Manasseh twelve thousand were sealed;
7 of the tribe of Simeon twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Levi twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Issachar twelve thousand were sealed;
8 of the tribe of Zebulun twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Benjamin twelve thousand were sealed.

How literal and clear can this description be of the 144,000 that they are JEWISH,
Rev 14 : 4 ABOVE says that they were the firstfruits,that again implies Israel, as Israel is the firstfruits according to the scriptures again this be will confirmed by any scholar of the bible.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Squirt said:
This is to be a debate between Christians only.

That in itself is a very broad invitation, my question is " who are the true Christians"
If anything I hear most among the people I witness to is that ,
1) they are all good enough to go to heaven on their own merit/righteousness
2)Many seem to think they are Christians for several reasons such as, association,tradition,family affilitations,church attendance etc.

So this might be a very interesting thread...!!!