• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how many disciple did Bouddha have?

alishan

hi
how many people followed our lord bouddha (monk and other) ?

how many closed disciple (only monks)?

thanks

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
As far as I know, there is not an accurately documented number of disciples that followed the Buddha. The Buddha had a whole sangha (community) of bhikkus (which literally means "beggar" or something like "one who lives on alms"). I have read that there were up to 1000 bhikkus in the sangha, but I do not know if this is actually true or not.

Of course, some of the sutras mention thousands of people in attendance at some of his sermons. I doubt that number is likely meant to be taken literal.

You can find some of this information on the wikipedia page: Gautama Buddha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hi
how many people followed our lord bouddha (monk and other) ?

how many closed disciple (only monks)?

thanks

From the buddhist scriptures, we know that King of Kosala, Rajagraha and Magadha along with Buddhas own clan -the Sakyas had adopted Buddhism. These kings also propagated buddhism in their kingdoms after adopting them. So if you looking at a number as to how many people.....I would say atleast 15-20% of Indias population in those days would have converted by the time he died.

Although it is true that the real impetus for Buddhism came in India due to Ashoka who made it as a state religion.

alishan

viyanaka : iam interested in all religion and compare them

indian : i was talking about the follower of Buddha during his life.

are you a native indian buddhist?

viyanaka : iam interested in all religion and compare them

indian : i was talking about the follower of Buddha during his life.

are you a native indian buddhist?

Yes i am saying during the time Buddha preached his Dhamma, many kings of Kingdoms had already converted like Rajagraha, Sakya and Magadha and yes I am from India.

alishan

are you native buddhist?or convert?

and close to him people who saw buddha, how many people in total? thanks

are you native buddhist?or convert?

and close to him people who saw buddha, how many people in total? thanks

I am a convert from Hinduism......yes.....

You cannot possibly give how many numbers considering Buddhas life and teachings were orally remembered for nearly 500 years but a rough estimate should be between 10-15% of Indias population converted to Buddhism when Buddha was alive.

However major impetus to Buddhism came only 300 years after Buddha died under the rule of Ashoka who made Buddhism the state religion and it was during the time of Ashoka that percentage of Buddhists in India increased rapidly.

ok thanks

do you beleave in god as a bouddhist? thanks

Buddha in his time had denied a Supreme God, a Creator God, a Sustainer God so pretty much he had denied existence of all types of God.
Buddha had explicitly mentioned that belief in a God is not rational and does not help in spiritual attainment rather Ego, greed, hatred increases by belief in God.

And I too dont believe in existence of Supreme God.

I do believe in presence of Devas or celestial ppl but these are not powerful and have no control over the destiny of a earthly being.

Last edited: