• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long?

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
I was wondering how long the actual trip would have been for Moses and the people to get to the promise land and how long it actually took. I hope you understand what I mean, if not, I’ll try to elaborate. Much appreciated.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Going from Egypt to Israel would've probably taken a couple of weeks, maybe a month at most. However, the original plan anyway had the Nation of Israel taking a longer route out of Egypt to lead up to the splitting of the Red Sea. After that, there was a little over a month leading up to the giving of the Torah at Mt. Sinai and then forty days of waiting for Moses to return from heaven. This is where the bigger delays started: The Nation of Israel sinned roughly forty days after the giving of the Torah with the Golden Calf, leading to forty days of repentance and then another forty days of waiting for Moses again to return from heaven. About half a year had passed from the Exodus at this point. After that, work on the Tabernacle started, which was finished roughly half a year later.
Now, if I remember correctly, after the building of the Tabernacle, the Nation of Israel got back to going to the land of Israel and sent the spies. Had the spies not turned Israel against the objective of entering the land of Israel, they probably would've reached it a week later.
Since Israel sinned with the spies, they were punished by remained in the desert for another 38 years, and they arrived in Israel at the fortieth year to the Exodus.