• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long was a day when the universe began

nPeace

Veteran Member
You are misunderstanding what im talking about.
I'm not?

Nimos said... Quote
I think one can boil down the purpose of life to simply being happy and that it applies to everyone. Obviously, how one achieves it might differ, but I think that holds true for everyone even monsters like Hitler. The biggest difference is just that people like him have no issue stepping on others to achieve it. Assuming that God exist and he ain't telling what the purpose is, being happy seems to work just fine. What more can one ask for than to wake up every day, being happy?
Unquote

That does not appear hard to understand to me.
What more could it possibly mean than what it says?

I'm not talking about humans specifically, I'm talking about life as a whole and why God thought it was needed and continuing from that, why life seems to aim for surviving rather than not.
Pardon me? Now, this... I don't understand.
It does not sound as clear as above, and is somewhat incoherent.

Could you explain that, in a more simplified way please.

RestlessSoul

I guess that depends on which god people ask.
The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob - the one described in the entire book of the people of God - the true God, has told.

The thing about that, is true to the words of the prophets, "there is a way that seems upright to a man, but the way of death, is the end of it, after, because it does not belong to man to direct his own step. Proverbs 14:12; Jeremiah 10:23

Many are finding that out, daily.
In fact, it's evident each day we awake from sleep.

Well I do believe that the best way for us to lead worthwhile lives, is though God’s direction. But I don’t believe there is only one path to God, be that via Abraham, or Christ, Krishna or The Great Spirit of the Ogalala Sioux. And yes, even atheists can find their way to spiritual guidance, even if they don’t call it that.

Audie

Veteran Member
You are misunderstanding what im talking about.

I'm not talking about humans specifically, I'm talking about life as a whole and why God thought it was needed and continuing from that, why life seems to aim for surviving rather than not.

Seems to you, that is.

it’s an odd thing to think.

life doesn’t even have an aim.
Nor do comets and waterfalls.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Well I do believe that the best way for us to lead worthwhile lives, is though God’s direction. But I don’t believe there is only one path to God, be that via Abraham, or Christ, Krishna or The Great Spirit of the Ogalala Sioux. And yes, even atheists can find their way to spiritual guidance, even if they don’t call it that.
Isn't God's direction to follow one path - his?
If you don't think it is, then how can you say you believe "the best way for us to lead worthwhile lives, is though God’s direction"?
Where does God outline his direction... in our minds? How can you show that your mind, and the 8 billion people on earth are being directed by God?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Why animal life?
Genesis 1:24-28 have in subjection all the animals
Isaiah 11:6 And a little boy will lead them

Animals are useful in many ways to humans.
  1. We use cattle like cows for milk and meat, which are a high source of vitamins and minerals.
  2. We use chicken and hen for eggs and meat which are major sources of proteins.
  3. Camels, horses ad elephants are used for transportation.
  4. Some important domesticated animals are dogs, cats, sheep, goats, etc.
  5. Fishes are reared and used for food [not sure if this would be necessary, with all the food available, that provides all we need for good health], fish oil, manure, glue, and some important medicinal purposes.
  6. Horses, donkeys, and elephants are used for carrying heavy loads.
  7. Animal litter is also used as a source of manure which helps to supplement required nutrients in the soil.
  8. Sheep are reared for their soft and warm wool. They also provide milk and other medicinal purposes.
  9. Animals help to control the population of other animals hence, helping to maintain an ecological balance.
  10. Many aquatic creatures are very helpful to humans as well as to other than the territorial animal.
Bees provide honey.
Spiders provide silk... etc.

Why human life?
See previous post.

Nimos

I'm not?

Nimos said... Quote
I think one can boil down the purpose of life to simply being happy and that it applies to everyone. Obviously, how one achieves it might differ, but I think that holds true for everyone even monsters like Hitler. The biggest difference is just that people like him have no issue stepping on others to achieve it. Assuming that God exist and he ain't telling what the purpose is, being happy seems to work just fine. What more can one ask for than to wake up every day, being happy?
Unquote

That does not appear hard to understand to me.
What more could it possibly mean than what it says?
You can't just quote a random comment, which wasn't what we were talking about initially, that quote was to something @RestlessSoul wrote, which is about the purpose of an individual's life :D

This is the one that started ours:

Me: And honestly, I think that holds true whether one is religious or not, if we go with God of the bible, it is never explained what the reason for life is in the first place

You: For those who read the Bible upside down, or with their mind totally shut off, and their heart hardened, yes, that usually is the view, but I am not sure what your reason for having that view is. God knows.

The Bible does explain... clear as crystal, the purpose of life.

Pardon me? Now, this... I don't understand.
It does not sound as clear as above, and is somewhat incoherent.

Could you explain that, in a more simplified way please.
Sure, my initial comment was about lifeforms in general and us (all lifeforms) seems to want to survive, despite none of us having any clue why it is better to be alive than to not be. Meaning that we as lifeforms don't really know by which purpose we are here and why we procreate, despite all the dangers, energy etc. that is involved in it. (something along those lines)

My comment as highlighted above is that even if one believes God exist, this is not explained in the bible why God thought that there should be life over non-life or why lifeforms seem so eager in surviving and to procreate when little is gained from it when looking at it from an overall perspective at life as a whole.

Nimos

Why animal life?
Genesis 1:24-28 have in subjection all the animals
Isaiah 11:6 And a little boy will lead them

Animals are useful in many ways to humans.
  1. We use cattle like cows for milk and meat, which are a high source of vitamins and minerals.
  2. We use chicken and hen for eggs and meat which are major sources of proteins.
  3. Camels, horses ad elephants are used for transportation.
  4. Some important domesticated animals are dogs, cats, sheep, goats, etc.
  5. Fishes are reared and used for food [not sure if this would be necessary, with all the food available, that provides all we need for good health], fish oil, manure, glue, and some important medicinal purposes.
  6. Horses, donkeys, and elephants are used for carrying heavy loads.
  7. Animal litter is also used as a source of manure which helps to supplement required nutrients in the soil.
  8. Sheep are reared for their soft and warm wool. They also provide milk and other medicinal purposes.
  9. Animals help to control the population of other animals hence, helping to maintain an ecological balance.
  10. Many aquatic creatures are very helpful to humans as well as to other than the territorial animal.
Bees provide honey.
Spiders provide silk... etc.

Why human life?
See previous post.
See my last post.

Nimos

Seems to you, that is.

it’s an odd thing to think.

life doesn’t even have an aim.
Nor do comets and waterfalls.
Yes, it probably falls in the same category. It is just a bit odd, that lifeform seems so eager to survive or procreate when there doesn't seem to be a greater known purpose for it.

nPeace

Veteran Member
You can't just quote a random comment, which wasn't what we were talking about initially, that quote was to something @RestlessSoul wrote, which is about the purpose of an individual's life :D

This is the one that started ours:

Me: And honestly, I think that holds true whether one is religious or not, if we go with God of the bible, it is never explained what the reason for life is in the first place

You: For those who read the Bible upside down, or with their mind totally shut off, and their heart hardened, yes, that usually is the view, but I am not sure what your reason for having that view is. God knows.

The Bible does explain... clear as crystal, the purpose of life.

Sure, my initial comment was about lifeforms in general and us (all lifeforms) seems to want to survive, despite none of us having any clue why it is better to be alive than to not be. Meaning that we as lifeforms don't really know by which purpose we are here and why we procreate, despite all the dangers, energy etc. that is involved in it. (something along those lines)

My comment as highlighted above is that even if one believes God exist, this is not explained in the bible why God thought that there should be life over non-life or why lifeforms seem so eager in surviving and to procreate when little is gained from it when looking at it from an overall perspective at life as a whole.
You are right, apparently. I did not understand that you were asking why God's will in the fist place, was to share the gift of life.
You did not ask that in a clear way.

God does not spell out why he wanted others to enjoy life, but we can get the answer quite easily.

The Bible describes Jehovah as "the happy God" 1 Timothy 1:11
The Bible says there is more happiness in giving than receiving. Acts of the Apostles 10:35.
The Bible describes God as the source of life. Psalms 36:9
The Bible describes life as a gift of God. Ecclesiastes 3:13
The Bible says God is love. 1 John 4:8

So, based on the Bible, we can conclude that God wanted intelligent beings like himself, to be able to enjoy life... like himself, which he freely gave as a gift, out of love.
Hence he put that within them, by creating them in his image.
That explains why God wants us to imitate him, and why we are happy, when we do.

Love does that.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yes, it probably falls in the same category. It is just a bit odd, that lifeform seems so eager to survive or procreate when there doesn't seem to be a greater known purpose for it.
What do you mean?
If you mean scientist do not think there is a greater purpose, or there must be, and they need to figure it out, I can understand your confusion.

However, there is no reason for such confusion, as the creator explains the reason for male and female, and procreation. he did so, right from the beginning.

From one - God - came two - Adam and Eve.
From Adam and Eve - two - came many.
Purpose. Oh how we love to talk. Oh how we love one another's company - family and friends. Oh how we want to live and not die, and miss that company and the beauty around us.

What's so puzzling about that.
The only problem is that atheists want to have their cake and eat it too. So they don't want God, and his laws, but they want to enjoy life, on their terms.
That's a problem.

God made us to live forever, and enjoy life forever, on his terms.
Procreation serves the purpose of producing children to...as God said, fill the earth. Note. Fill... not overflow.

Audie

Veteran Member
It’s not the least odd.

The reality of it could not be any other way

Call it “ natural selection”.

RestlessSoul

Isn't God's direction to follow one path - his?
If you don't think it is, then how can you say you believe "the best way for us to lead worthwhile lives, is though God’s direction"?
Where does God outline his direction... in our minds? How can you show that your mind, and the 8 billion people on earth are being directed by God?

Don't you pray for guidance, and occasionally feel you have received an answer to a perplexing problem?

Audie

Veteran Member
Don't you pray for guidance, and occasionally feel you have received an answer to a perplexing problem?

i don’t. Instead I worry and stew.
Like, big decision-uni in USA, which one? A B or C?

I thought about it for weeks! Then it came to me with
great clarity and certainty. Like a voice in my head! almost

GO THOU ( :D)TO B,

But I wasn’t satisfied. Kept worrying. Later, again, but
now it’s A. Then C.

I settled on NYU

And lesrned a lot about *divine guidance”.

Last edited:

Nimos

The only problem is that atheists want to have their cake and eat it too. So they don't want God, and his laws, but they want to enjoy life, on their terms.
That's a problem.
It has nothing to do with wanting or not wanting God, it is about whether there is good reason to believe in him or not, and atheists don't think there is good enough evidence.

Well his terms sucks for a lot of people you know, so what about them? :)

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Many arguments here about the bible and creation are about "a day". We all only know the concept of "a day" as we live our lives here on earth.

How long was a day when the universe became the universe?
There was no such thing as a day when the universe was first formed. A day refers to one complete rotation of the earth, and earth didn't exist yet for billions of years.

You may find this interesting:
"In timely news, scientists have determined that some 1.4 billion years ago, an Earth day—that is, a full rotation around its axis—took 18 hours and 41 minutes, rather than the familiar 24 hours, The Guardian reports."
Science | AAAS.

Audie

Veteran Member
What do you mean?
If you mean scientist do not think there is a greater purpose, or there must be, and they need to figure it out, I can understand your confusion.

However, there is no reason for such confusion, as the creator explains the reason for male and female, and procreation. he did so, right from the beginning.

From one - God - came two - Adam and Eve.
From Adam and Eve - two - came many.
Purpose. Oh how we love to talk. Oh how we love one another's company - family and friends. Oh how we want to live and not die, and miss that company and the beauty around us.

What's so puzzling about that.
That's a problem.

Procreation serves the purpose of producing children to...as God said, fill the earth. Note. Fill... not overflow.
There is no confusion.
That’s your story, but we don’t believe it.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
The universe exists. So does earth and all its conditions.

No human no theisms. Everything would still exist.

Once two humans had no babies says our memory.

One day the baby man adult had his brain changed by star mass that burnt cold gases. Teaching him about light.

But not the light of a sun as it hadn't travelled to earth first as a rock.

Father mother died. Baby adults witnessed it.

So we know a human dies and everything still existed without them.

We know humans aren't part of a fixed universe. As they die and leave conscious presence.

Use of information can mess with your head. Literally.

Why we were taught.

Father mother were X one species first two.

The baby self grows back into its own adult.

Messed with your consciousness.

Men babies believed their life had created the two adults.

What do you say to awareness when their own origin consciousness leaves into darkness at human death?

Types of questions theists should have asked themselves about why they don't want the universe to exist.

RestlessSoul

No, it is not. They are taking the comoving frame. It is *within* the universe, not outside of it.

There’s a philosophical point here, in that when we try to envisage anything in it’s entirety, we try to do so from an objective, if imaginary perspective. But there is no view from everywhere, every view is from somewhere; therefore if an objective view of the universe is possible, it must by definition be a God’s eye view.