• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How legit does this sound?

Yadon

Passed on to me from a college to present:

<witch> Old Traditional European witchcraft that was brought over when the White settlers came, mixed with a bit of Russian. And Lakota Sioux is a sub-tribe of the Sioux Native American Indian tribe.

<me> I'm confused you mean western occult tradition?

<me> Europe didnt have any kind of united "traditional witchcraft"

<me> the closest thing to that im aware of is the western occult tradition and the demonoltrists that used the grimoires like the Lesser Key

<me> but that is 16th-19th century mostly.

<me> Well, 17th-19th century I mean.

<witch> The Witchcraft that I speak of was mainly passed down through the Germanic-tribes until they became Germany, and then, and only then, was it given the title of Witchcraft.

<me> What was it called before then?

<witch> In the Grimiore that I have that's been passed down through my family it's in German. So gimmie a second to translate the ******.

<witch> there's German, Lakota, Gaelic, all kinds of languages in here, and my brain goes, Hahahaha no

<witch> Magie Arbeits <----- That's the German in the Grimoure, and the translation is "Magicks working"

I've heard of various small regional practices that supposedly still survive today by way of secret family practice, but I question the authenticity of such grimoires and how far back they actually go.

The mix of languages and other stuff kind of makes me wonder, I think there is probably a lot of incorrect information in it.

I can't really give him an answer, I figure someone here might know more.

Erebus

I've heard of various small regional practices that supposedly still survive today by way of secret family practice, but I question the authenticity of such grimoires and how far back they actually go.

I think that's probably wise. While it's not impossible for a grimoire to have been handed down through a family over the centuries it's certainly unlikely. What is much easier to do is to create your own grimoire and make it look old and mystical. I'm not saying your friend did this, but perhaps somebody in his family might have done.
What you do get though are stories and superstitions handed down through families. This tends to be done via word of mouth and so probably ends up pretty warped within a couple of generations.

To summarize, any time you're confronted by a family tradition of witchcraft or an ancient grimoire I think a dose of healthy skepticism is wise.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's my understanding that folk magic or "low magic" that isn't associated with the European occult revival and "high magic" was overwhelmingly an oral and familial tradition, though scattered bits of lore can be found in period literature and fables. I would consult the relevant folklorists and anthropological scholars, but it's been quite some time since I've spent any time with that literature.

Yadon

I think that's probably wise. While it's not impossible for a grimoire to have been handed down through a family over the centuries it's certainly unlikely. What is much easier to do is to create your own grimoire and make it look old and mystical. I'm not saying your friend did this, but perhaps somebody in his family might have done.
What you do get though are stories and superstitions handed down through families. This tends to be done via word of mouth and so probably ends up pretty warped within a couple of generations.

To summarize, any time you're confronted by a family tradition of witchcraft or an ancient grimoire I think a dose of healthy skepticism is wise.

I don't know the person who has the grimoire. Rather, my college was the one speaking to them. I'm sorry I only copy and pasted what they gave me.