• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How good were these Presidents?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen Woodrow Wilson ranked as "Near Great," although he has had detractors as well.

Truman has also been ranked as "Near Great." However, he has also been criticized for things like firing MacArthur.

Eisenhower has been ranked "Average." My dad liked Ike.

Johnson might be considered "Average" on domestic policy, but perhaps "Below Average" or "Failure" on foreign policy. Johnson did some good things with his Great Society and signing the Civil Rights Act, but he was primarily blamed for the Vietnam War and the growing dissension and disorder in the country.

Skwim

Veteran Member

presidental reading grade.png

Shad

Veteran Member
Yes. One of the problems we can fall into is evaluating someone from today's standards rather than based on the era they lived in.

Yup. Toss in 20/20 hindsight in which we have centuries to decades to evaluate any outcome and/or secondary issues resulting from an act.

None were good leaders as POTUS in my view taking into account hindsight 20/20. Mediocre leaders? Sure

ronki23

I'd like to know more about Truman, Johnson and Eisenhower.

My favourite Presidents were: Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and John F. Kennedy

What were yours?

Shaul

Premium Member
Among these four I think Eisenhower should get rank as best. For one thing he didn’t start any wars like the other three did.

I have a particular liking for Chester Alan Arthur. Although he is not well known, he actually did some interesting things.