• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How far can one go in not taking the Bible literally?

jcforever

In another thread the issue of reading the Bible literally came up.

In response to my assumption that everyone would agree that according to the Bible god had killed people, Saint Frankenstein said "It's cute how you assume I think God actually killed anyone. You assume wrong."

Okay, but this prompted me to provide several examples, remarking "Sorry. I simply assumed that you believe what the Bible says. Things like

Numbers 11:1
And when the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard it; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp.

1 Samuel 25:38
And it came to pass about ten days after, that the LORD smote Nabal, that he died.

2 Chronicles 13:20
Neither did Jeroboam recover strength again in the days of Abijah: and the LORD struck him, and he died.

Joshua 10:10
And the LORD discomfited them before Israel, and slew them with a great slaughter at Gibeon, and chased them along the way that goeth up to Bethhoron, and smote them to Azekah, and unto Makkedah.

Joshua 10:11

And it came to pass, as they fled from before Israel, and were in the going down to Bethhoron, that the LORD cast down great stones from heaven upon them unto Azekah, and they died: they were more which died with hailstones than they whom the children of Israel slew with the sword.​

In response, Saint Frankenstein said "You assume I take the OT as literal history or that there's no other ways to interpret verses. Maybe you should stop assuming things." I said I would, but out of curiosity asked: "if you would indulge me for a moment and tell me what

"Eventually Yahweh struck him and he died,"*

actually means.

* Source: Bible - Catholic Online

After this we had several more exchanges, but none addressed my request. However, Saint Frankenstein did finally say "I'll reply to [my request] it if you make it [in another thread]." Thus the origin of this thread. And ya gotta give the guy credit for his probity.

So here we are. Hopefully in the next post or so he will tell us what the verse actually means.

But aside from this I invite everyone chime in on the issue of difficult scriptures; Are there passages simply so troublesome that they demand not be taken literally, but beg to be reinterpreted no matter what?

If you listen to the voice of God and obey all his commandments, then you don't have to be concerned about what is written in the Bible unless God uses the prophecies to prove your testimonies are true.

Seven headed beast

Awaited One
While te text can be translated literally, it would be incomprehensible. It actually now written in hermetic script and when you can weave in and out of the random metaphor, allegory and literal understanding then you also must understand that it is also reversed. The council of Nicea lost track of the thing after they purged it of any notion of transmigration and reincarnartion that were in the ancient Babylonianand Sumeriantexts that it was framed from.

The reversal is not evident nor is it Germaine until the "creature of dark" makes his entrance in the book of Revelation. In Revelation chapter 1 the individual on the throne is supposed to be the creature of dark, who was Rudra from the battle of the Mahabharata.

The text is not the message of good hope the council of nicea hoped to create from an eschatological prophecy. The entire text is a recurring end times prophecy. It comes to pass at the end of every age and you cannot add some butterflies and unicorns and make it any message of good hope. It is a dark and morbid foretelling that hhas already come to pass thrice and is in the midst of the fourth go round.
The council of Trent removed several tests including the book of Enoch, the book of Solomon and others because they told the truth and the church had no use for that. The were selling the false forgiveness plan and Enoch not only told us about the notion of transmigration. He talked about the true notion of hell, and told us precisely where the battle of the Armageddon would take place and who was behind it.

Enoch is the key to the book of Revelation.

The New testament is all valid but jesus is not. The council used Jesus s their Patsy. The truth is that the word "forgiveness" does not appear one time in the book of Revelation. The truth is still in there in Revelation 20:10-12 . It says we are judged by our "work". In verse 10, the first book is not named. This wasn't one the was purged by the council. The second book is the book of life, and the first book that each one of the "dead" has their own, is the akashic record. Which is your karmic account book.

The council came up neither the forgiveness lie and knowingly screwed every one of the lambies. Thinking theybwould be forgiven, they went out and proceeded to dig themselves iin to a pit of karmic debt, that many could not climb out of.

The truth is the the meaning of life is to get the hell out of here. This is a training ground and when you have the understanding that is needed to graduate out of here and your karma is right with the world, you will ascend the next time you move through the "bright light".

This being said, if you go to a place where everyone has worked to find the "eenlightenment" to get there, then you let a single idiot in because of "forgiveness" the whole place is shot to hell.

Karma is not transferable. No one can lend, borrow, give or sell karma. You must reconcile your onwn actions but all things can be reconciled.

The notion of "reconciliation" is not understood and it isn't no means anybwhere close to forgiveness.

So, again I have gone off on a tangent but considering that this is a CIA site and they known and are afraid of what I am telling you, and have done their best to cause my tablett to not function here, I feel lucky to have gotten this much out.

The CIA knew who I was before I knew who I was.

12jtartar

Premium Member
In another thread the issue of reading the Bible literally came up.

In response to my assumption that everyone would agree that according to the Bible god had killed people, Saint Frankenstein said "It's cute how you assume I think God actually killed anyone. You assume wrong."

Okay, but this prompted me to provide several examples, remarking "Sorry. I simply assumed that you believe what the Bible says. Things like

Numbers 11:1
And when the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard it; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp.

1 Samuel 25:38
And it came to pass about ten days after, that the LORD smote Nabal, that he died.

2 Chronicles 13:20
Neither did Jeroboam recover strength again in the days of Abijah: and the LORD struck him, and he died.

Joshua 10:10
And the LORD discomfited them before Israel, and slew them with a great slaughter at Gibeon, and chased them along the way that goeth up to Bethhoron, and smote them to Azekah, and unto Makkedah.

Joshua 10:11

And it came to pass, as they fled from before Israel, and were in the going down to Bethhoron, that the LORD cast down great stones from heaven upon them unto Azekah, and they died: they were more which died with hailstones than they whom the children of Israel slew with the sword.​

In response, Saint Frankenstein said "You assume I take the OT as literal history or that there's no other ways to interpret verses. Maybe you should stop assuming things." I said I would, but out of curiosity asked: "if you would indulge me for a moment and tell me what

"Eventually Yahweh struck him and he died,"*

actually means.

* Source: Bible - Catholic Online

After this we had several more exchanges, but none addressed my request. However, Saint Frankenstein did finally say "I'll reply to [my request] it if you make it [in another thread]." Thus the origin of this thread. And ya gotta give the guy credit for his probity.

So here we are. Hopefully in the next post or so he will tell us what the verse actually means.

But aside from this I invite everyone chime in on the issue of difficult scriptures; Are there passages simply so troublesome that they demand not be taken literally, but beg to be reinterpreted no matter what?

Skwim,
The Bible speaks in many different ways, such as hyperbole, metaphors, Parables, analogies, types no antitypes, and literal.
Very few things are said in the Bible that are mentioned only once, so if you want to find truth, look up all the Scriptures that pertain to any subject, and you will find Bible truth.
The Bible itself says to search for truth as you would search for hid treasures, and the Bible tells you, that if you do, you will find what you look for, Proverbs 2:2-12.
Many times you can tell what part of speech the Hebrew Bible is using by what is said in the Christian Greek Scriptures about that subject.
It has been determined that it is impossible for a human being to, even copy, let along translate the whole Bible, without mistakes creeping in. This poses no real problem!!! All you have to do it compare different Bible translations, because, even if all translations have errors, the errors will not be the same errors, so they can easily be found and corrected.
The Bible was inerrant in the Original Autographs. Today, because there are many scholars searching for accuracy, there is very little reason for ant reader to doubt what is said in the Holy Scriptures. Remember The Almighty God, Jehovah, has promised that He would protect His sayings from all generations, Psalms 12:6,7. If the Scriptures were not accurate how could God judge the world by The Holy Bible???

pearl

The Bible speaks in many different ways, such as hyperbole, metaphors, Parables, analogies, types no antitypes, and literal.

And underlying all of this is its purpose and theme discovered at the root of the particular author's intent that makes use of hyperbole, metaphors etc. in order to convey that 'literal' (not to be confused with literalist) truth. To the biblical author, and the people, nothing was apart from God. If they were victorious it was God who destroyed the enemy, if they suffered loss at the hands of the enemy, it was God's punishment for their infidelities. I don't think it possible to understand the Bible without an understanding of the mentality and culture of the time.