• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Does Karma Know What Is Moral And What Isn't?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's all just mechanical, like any other physical law.

You have to keep in mind that our perceived world is an illusion; it's an abstract, symbolic representation of outside reality created entirely between our ears.
A pilot can land a plane in the dark entirely by instrument. He doesn't really believe the dials and numbers on the dash are accurate representations of outside reality, but they enable him to navigate successfully.
So it is with ourselves.

We're not really discrete entities, walking down the street, interacting with other entities and objects. We're more like perturbations in the quantum field; energy fluctuations; waveforms cancelling or reinforcing other waveforms.

These bodies, this world -- all illusion; all abstract; all instruments on the dash.

Hold an anvil above your foot -- release. Kick your dog. Tell a lie. Gas a Jew -- all bad karma inasmuch as the results are negative for you. The negative results of gassing a Jew or lying are functionally and mechanically identical to those of dropping the anvil. The only difference is that, for some reason, the physics of gravity + weight = crushed foot is perceived more directly than the deleterious waveform perturbations created at Auschwitz, by we in 3rd-state consciousness.
Mechanically, they're identical .

Surya Deva

Absolutely terrific explanation there Seyorni. I feel humbled by your effortless, concise and accurate explanation of Karma.

Allow me to add: Many of us balk at mass suffering, say for example during the South East Asian Tsunnami. We call this evil and suffering. After all whose Karma was it that caused such suffering? Well us not forget just a few decades ago Indonesia(the worst hit) was behind the brutal genocide of the East Timoreans. Let us not forget the mass devestation we have brought upon the planet. They are all going to have karmic repercussions.

Karma really is not a retributive law, it is simply cause and effect, and some effects are desirable and some are not, but its functioning is entirely mechnical. It really is a purifying system like in the body, it needs to purge toxins and it releases agents to purge those toxins. If tomorrow there is huge global cataclysm, manmade or natural, then rest assured it is karma at work getting rid of toxins.

Absolutely terrific explanation there Seyorni. I feel humbled by your effortless, concise and accurate explanation of Karma.

Allow me to add: Many of us balk at mass suffering, say for example during the South East Asian Tsunnami. We call this evil and suffering. After all whose Karma was it that caused such suffering? Well us not forget just a few decades ago Indonesia(the worst hit) was behind the brutal genocide of the East Timoreans. Let us not forget the mass devestation we have brought upon the planet. They are all going to have karmic repercussions.

Karma really is not a retributive law, it is simply cause and effect, and some effects are desirable and some are not, but its functioning is entirely mechnical. It really is a purifying system like in the body, it needs to purge toxins and it releases agents to purge those toxins. If tomorrow there is huge global cataclysm, manmade or natural, then rest assured it is karma at work getting rid of toxins.
But that doesen't seem entirely fair, what about those who were innocent, and yet died? What about them? Are they just casualties that needed to die so karma can take place?

When you put it like this, it doesent seems as if karma is a perfect system.

UnTheist

Of course, you don't expect reasonable people to believe this, do you?

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Of course, you don't expect reasonable people to believe this, do you?

It's reasonable to believe that the effects of natural disasters are hightened by karma. The disasters themselves remain the same, but their effects are noticed even greater.

For example, the earthquakes that occur on the San Andreas fault in California wouldn't have such drastic consequences if people would just stop building cities right on it.

UnTheist

For example, the earthquakes that occur on the San Andreas fault in California wouldn't have such drastic consequences if people would just stop building cities right on it.
But that's not because it was "wrong" to build cities on such unstable land.

But that's not because it was "wrong" to build cities on such unstable land.
The point is that karma came into play here. By building a city in such a vunerable area, it was only a matter of time till something would happen.

That is karma, cause and effect.
I think you have a rather simple view of karma, it is not a simple matter of doing good and bad. It applies to things which do not involve any intentions. Good or bad.

UnTheist

Really? Then why is a person able to not suffer from killing someone's wife or steal an iPod from somebody? Where does "cause and effect" come into play there?

Edit: ok, that's not the kind of "karma" I was talking about. If a group of people grow a city on a piece of land that is known to be dangerous, then I would call that stupidity, not karma.

Last edited:
Really? Then why is a person able to not suffer from killing someone's wife or steal an iPod from somebody? Where does "cause and effect" come into play there?
Someone does suffer. Maybe by killing someones wife, an investigation will take place leading him/her to get locked up.

Maybe after stealing the iPod he drops it and breaks it, maybe someone finds out it was him/her.

For some causes, there may be various effects.

Surya Deva

But that doesen't seem entirely fair, what about those who were innocent, and yet died? What about them? Are they just casualties that needed to die so karma can take place?

When you put it like this, it doesent seems as if karma is a perfect system.

How do you know they are innocent?

What is fair to us has no bearing on cause and effect. It just happens. Many people moan, "life is not fair" but they define fair according to their own interests. Tell me is it fair that we have destroyed many ecosystems, endagered many species , spread pollution and radiation, killed animals on an industrial scale and have literally raped the earth of resources. Karma operates according to what is fair by the cosmic standards, not by ours. We have in our shortime on earth been a cancer on this planet and the vast majority have participated in this.

Karma will never harm anybody if they have have done something to deserve it. Why is that in a natural disaster, some people survive and some don't, some even escape unscathed? It's all karma. Even the time period we incarnate in is karmic. It is suppose to be a perfct law, it is impossible for anybody to get what they have not deserved.

Krishna says himself nobody slays anybody, it him who slays everybody. If you tried to slay someone by shooting an arrow at then, and it was not their karma to be slain, then you would not succeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you know they are innocent?

What is fair to us has no bearing on cause and effect. It just happens. Many people moan, "life is not fair" but they define fair according to their own interests. Tell me is it fair that we have destroyed many ecosystems, endagered many species , spread pollution and radiation, killed animals on an industrial scale and have literally raped the earth of resources. Karma operates according to what is fair by the cosmic standards, not by ours. We have in our shortime on earth been a cancer on this planet and the vast majority have participated in this.

Karma will never harm anybody if they have have done something to deserve it. Why is that in a natural disaster, some people survive and some don't, some even escape unscated? It's all karma. Even the time period we incarnate in is karmic. It is suppose to be a perfct law, it is impossible for anybody to get what they have not deserved.
You cannot tell me that EVERYONE who died in the tsunami did something to deserve it.

UnTheist

Someone does suffer. Maybe by killing someones wife, an investigation will take place leading him/her to get locked up.
That's a big "maybe".
Maybe after stealing the iPod he drops it and breaks it, maybe someone finds out it was him/her.
Another "maybe". I'm talking about if the person gets away with it. And I'm assuming for something as small as stealing an iPod, people get away with it most of the time.

Last edited:

Surya Deva

You cannot tell me that EVERYONE who died in the tsunami did something to deserve it.

That is hard for the ego to accept, but transcendentally, I am afraid this is what the theory of karma asserts. You cannot reap something you have not sown.

Read the Gita. Krishna tells Arjuna that everybody who is to be slain in the battle has already been slain, Arjuna is just an instrument through which cosmic law is working.

Another "maybe". I'm talking about if the person gets away with it. And I'm assuming for something as small as stealing an iPod, people get away with it most of the time.

You never get away with a crime. Karma always finds a way to make sure your debt is paid back, this life or the next.

UnTheist

nvm. I always think that people are actually going to [attempt to] prove that karma exists, but I keep on forgetting where I am.

Last edited:

Surya Deva

Untheist, nobody can prove to you that Karma exists. You have to experience it. Try a long term experiment be really horrible to everybody for a month, and see if you experience any karmic repercussions ;)