• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does Hinduism's dharma compare with Judaism's muss are?

Shaul

Premium Member
In Judaism the is a movement called Mussar. It uses self character improvement ethical living as the vehicles for spiritual growth. I am not familiar with Hinduism but would like input from those that are. More specifically how would Hinduism's Dharma paths compare with Judaism's Mussar?

For those not familiar with Mussar here is a link, http://www.mussarinstitute.org/about-institute.htm

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Shaul, I couldn't really find a condensed summary from that link. It was pretty vague stuff. Maybe you could provide something more specific.

Hinduism is vast in contrast, so there will be a lot of takes on this. For me, the yamas and niyamas summarise Hinduism's ethical practices, and many people try to follow them to the best of their ability. Specific sampradayas (schools) will spend more time on character development than others. In mine, for example, we actually have a booklet title 'Character Building' so we take it seriously. https://www.himalayanacademy.com/view/character-building-workbook

Certainly we see ethical living and a basis for spiritual growth. That's summarised as 'following dharma'.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I understood it as a movement, yes, but since I'm unfamiliar with exactly Jewish ethics are composed of, I'm not sure if its that comparable. We don't have similar organised movements in Hinduism, as far as I know. Ethics are taught and modeled by parents primarily. What I gave you was a list of our ethics. If I understand this correctly, the Musar movement is all about how to get those ethics into minds. So it's sort of educational methodology. Some of that seems to focus on internalisation via reflection and meditation.

The Tirukkural and Bhagavad Gita both have ethics, and in schools in some places in India, those scriptures are often memorized.