• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you live out your Buddhism?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I love Buddhism as a philosophy, but I don't quite understand it as a religion. How does the "average" Buddhist live out his or her faith?

Sees

Dragonslayer
EightfoldPath.png

Lots of commentaries and guides our Buddhist folks can explain and suggest.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Prayer, church attendance, helping the poor.

Really? I live in an ostensibly Christian country, populated by many self-identified Christians. I would bet most don't pray, only attend church for hatches, matches and dispatches, and give money (perhaps) to begging people the same as non-Christians.

von bek

As Sees wisely shared, the Eightfold Noble Path is how you live out your practice of Buddhism. It encompasses morality, wisdom, and concentration.

The Noble Eightfold Path: The Way to the End of Suffering

Also related to the subject of what it looks like to live out the teachings of Buddhism can be found in the brahma-viharas. These are the divine abidings and represent the states of consciousness that are the norm in the realm of the Brahma-kings. The four brahma-viharas are: loving-kindness, compassion, sympathetic joy, and equanimity. Meditating on these states of consciousness and perfecting them will lead to rebirth in the Brahma-realms.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/wheel006.html

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Really? I live in an ostensibly Christian country, populated by many self-identified Christians. I would bet most don't pray, only attend church for hatches, matches and dispatches, and give money (perhaps) to begging people the same as non-Christians.

What do they do then? I'll try anything.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
As Sees wisely shared, the Eightfold Noble Path is how you live out your practice of Buddhism. It encompasses morality, wisdom, and concentration.

The Noble Eightfold Path: The Way to the End of Suffering

Also related to the subject of what it looks like to live out the teachings of Buddhism can be found in the brahma-viharas. These are the divine abidings and represent the states of consciousness that are the norm in the realm of the Brahma-kings. The four brahma-viharas are: loving-kindness, compassion, sympathetic joy, and equanimity. Meditating on these states of consciousness and perfecting them will lead to rebirth in the Brahma-realms.

The Four Sublime States: Contemplations on Love, Compassion, Sympathetic Joy and Equanimity

That's what I thought. If I do that, does it make me a Christian Buddhist?

von bek

That's what I thought. If I do that, does it make me a Christian Buddhist?

I find the term Christian Buddhist to be confusing. While the Buddha and Jesus may have overlapping thoughts on some aspects of morality, they construct divergent world-views. Jesus say to love the Lord thy God with all your heart. The Buddha says it is not possible for the being Jesus describes to even exist. There are gods, yes. But, they too are born, grow old, and die. Then they will take rebirth somewhere else within samsara based on their karma. The Buddha makes it clear that there is no Overlord to the universe who is responsible for all that happens. Dependent origination is how the Buddha describes the cycle of experience without any recourse to a Creator god. There is no-self in an individual just as there is no-self in the universe. When you break all experiences down you don't find god, you find impersonal elements, all unsatisfactory, impermanent, and lacking self.

If you wish to reconcile Christianity and Buddhism, you can only do so by jettisoning vital teachings of one or both traditions.

I pretty much live how most other people live.
I attempt to avoid doing bad deeds relying on the 5 precepts as guide.
I meditate to at least achieve some level of calmness and un-stress after a long day.
I study on the Buddhist teachings.
I go to nearby temple as often as possible (usually on weekends) to pay respect to the Buddhas (statutes) in there, and listen to talks given if any.
Yep, that's about it.

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
The average Buddhist minimally takes refuge in the Buddha, Dha[r/m]ma, and Sangha. Or, to paraphrase some of the Buddha's final words upon his deathbed, taking refuge in oneself, with no other refuge, taking refuge in the Teaching, with no other refuge. This precludes taking refuge in God, Allah, Jehovah, Brahmā, Īśvara, or other gods/devas.

attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā

Be islands unto yourselves, refuges unto yourselves, seeking no external refuge; with the Dhamma as your island, the Dhamma as your refuge, seeking no other refuge.

Mahāparinibbāna Suttaṃ, Dīgha Nikāya 16

Personally, in addition to the refuges, I also take the five precepts daily (eight on Uposatha observance days - roughly once a week with every first-quarter, full, last-quarter, and new moon), maintain a daily meditation practice, meet with the sangha as frequently as possible, attend retreats on a regular basis, visit temples and monasteries, study the sutras/suttas (discourses/scriptures) as well as other Buddhist texts, and try to live according to the eightfold path while working on cultivating the pāramitās/pāramīs ("perfections"), including generosity, ethical conduct, patient forbearance, meditative absorption, diligent effort, wisdom, etc.

However, one might not call me the average Buddhist.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram

first by deveoping ....the below mentioned Right understanding , right thought and right concentration , ....then practicing the remainder ....

to me Buddhism is more than a philosophy it is a practice , to some it is not even an escape route from samsara , to Mahayana Buddhists it is a commitment to attain enlightenment for the benifit of all , therefore one foregoes personal liberation from the cycle of birth and death , but instead attains a blissfull state whereupon there is no personal suffering even whilst embodied , ...

quote Von bek .....brahma-viharas. These are the divine abidings and represent the states of consciousness that are the norm in the realm of the Brahma-kings. The four brahma-viharas are: loving-kindness, compassion, sympathetic joy, and equanimity. Meditating on these states of consciousness and perfecting them will lead to rebirth in the Brahma-realms.

in Bodhichitta one forgets atttaining Brahma's realm or ataining higher rebirth , but one lives to act out ones compassion with generosity and loving kindness , to share sympathetic joy and abide in equanimity in ones every dealings .

one who atains such qualities has no desire for the higher realms as he sees them in the actions of the realised therefore lives in a constant state of bliss .

quote Ablaze ....The average Buddhist minimally takes refuge in the Buddha, Dha[r/m]ma, and Sangha. ....
...however, one might not call me the average Buddhist.

in truth there is no such need to find an average Buddhist as Buddhists we are all aspiring , above that when we reach atainment we become ourselves Buddhas :namaste

http://www.religiousforums.com//uk.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Thirza

I love Buddhism as a philosophy, but I don't quite understand it as a religion. How does the "average" Buddhist live out his or her faith?....

.........Prayer, church attendance, helping the poor.

one could say that the way many Buddhists live is much the same , we pray we attend temple and we should , ...if we are not to attatched and bad tempered , ..share what we have and help the poor and any who are in need of support of any kind .

and if you ask about the compatibility of christianity and Buddhism , ..although there are many Theological differences there are many characteristics that are perfectly compatable it is not just on points of morality that Jesus and the Buddha confer but prehaps more importantly compassion ..as both were embodiments of selfless compassion and sacrifice .

I have heard the tearm Christian Buddhist used many times by those that see the thread of comonality to be love , and one here (on RF)that called him self a Ju Bu ....although this may be confusing to some it is also heart warming to others , ...I for one am delighted that the Buddhas teachings touch others and enrich their lives ...prehaps in truth that is all that realy matters .

von bek

Here is an example of how some Buddhists are living out their religion in Nepal, by maintaining an orphanage for children who have been abandoned or experienced terrible violence.

welcome