• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you know you're saved?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
So you have no concept of sin?

Not as offense to God. God can’t be offended. Some of the worst of the worst who’ve done evil and had so much hatred for God were liberated. It was like “you hated Me so much that I took up so much room in your head, here let Me liberate you because you always thought of Me”. He’s pretty chill.

Sin is largely just wrong action that we’ll incur a karmic debt for. People believe that killing a cow or a Brahmin is a sin, which will incur a heavy karmic debt, for example. But there is no hell God will send us to. In Hinduism God doesn’t and hasn’t given commandments or laws, or judge. .

Neuropteron

How can you possibly know whether or not your are saved? (specifically, saved from going to Hell)

Surely you don’t find out until it’s too late?

It would be nice of God to give us some indication before we die, a means of knowing whether or not we are saved, so we know either to change our ways or carry on as we were

Hi.
We are told what to do to be saved
"For if you publicly delare that word in your own mouth, that Jesus is Lord, and exercise faith in your heart that God raised him up from the dead, you will be saved. "(Ro 10:9)

Cheers.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
How can you possibly know whether or not your are saved? (specifically, saved from going to Hell)

It would be nice of God to give us some indication before we die, a means of knowing whether or not we are saved, so we know either to change our ways or carry on as we were
Consider the wording from one who ought to have the most confidence of all, the main early evangelist, Paul. Yet as he wrote:

"...If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless.

7But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in a Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. ..."

!

"... But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Philippians 3 NIV

So, if even Paul would think he had not yet arrived at his goal, and it was still yet to be strived for, then I feel also so should you and I!

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Nobody knows to be saved.

If they were dead sure to be saved, they would not frenetically pray, and ask other people to frenetically pray, to delay their meeting with beloved Jesus as much as possible when, for instance, diagnosed with cancer.

Ciao

- viole

Goddess Kit

Religious belief provides an option, not a guarantee. It is called faith for a reason, for there need be no reason for logic to interrupt that which merely needs gullibility.

I have understood saved means that sins are forgiven and person is saved from the judgment that would come because of sin. But that is not all, to get eternal life, person must be righteous.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

Do I know am I righteous? I am not right person to answer to that. But, I am sure God is good and whatever He does will be good. That is why I have no reason to worry. And I think God’s will is clearly in the Bible.

…'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments."
Matt. 22:39-40

But, if you do that only because you try to get eternal life, I don’t think you are righteous and, in that case, it may be in vain.

I have understood righteousness means wisdom of the just, right understanding which means person understands what is good and right and wants to do so freely, because he understands it is good, not because he tries to buy a reward.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

Wouldn't it make the most sense that Christ would be the one Who answers this better than any person here just reciting the random doctrines they know?

Christ says in the accounts who He will accept and who He will reject (such as saying "I never knew you" to some believers).

So, to find out from the only one Who knows, and is also the judge (no less!), you'd read His words in the 4 gospels accounts. And I can report that indeed in His words in the 4 accounts these questions are very clearly answered. So, one can find out and know what He said are the standards. You discover that some doctrines some have are clearly not aligned to His words. But He said those who are His will listen to His words....