• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you distinguish which parts of OT are not applicable to you as a Christian?

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
No, however, how does it communicate with us today?
We pray to holly spirit.

Also our body is the temple of God and holly spirit may reside in us as long as there is no grave sin in us, and as such then our behavior may be guided by holly spirit.
sin is what makes holly spirit leave our body.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
That is not how I understand it, but I'm not Catholic, I might be wrong. Could you refer me to one of documents stating that, please.
Sure:
Can. 749 §1. By virtue of his office, the Supreme Pontiff possesses infallibility in teaching when as the supreme pastor and teacher of all the Christian faithful, who strengthens his brothers and sisters in the faith, he proclaims by definitive act that a doctrine of faith or morals is to be held.

Code of Canon Law - Book III - The teaching function of the Church (Cann. 747-755) (vatican.va)

Five Solas

We pray to holly spirit.
Just check your spelling sometimes. Holy Spirit please.

Do not get me wrong, I believe in the Holy Spirit. It is God with us today. The Spirit guides us today but gives us nothing new that could be added to the Bible.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
So, he is infallible in teaching according to the RCC. I know his Ex Cathedra announcements are.

I'm not Catholic, so we reject that. Actually, I'm orthodox reformed so I'm far removed from that. From my name five Solas you should conclude that.
fine, but you do know that the word of God which you hold as "the only source" can not be abolished right? Jesus said so.
did you ever question your reformed church whether their teachings are the work of holly spirit or not?

If they are then the word of God has been abolished which is a problem.
Otherwise reformation is wrong.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
thanks!

Do not get me wrong, I believe in the Holy Spirit. It is God with us today. The Spirit guides us today but gives us nothing new that could be added to the Bible.
Nobody is adding to the bible, holy spirit is requirement for interpretation of the bible, the bible says so but I forgot which passage, it's somewhere in epistles.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The old testament gives context for Jesus religious upbringing.
It does not give religious instruction for Christians.
The teaching that Jesus gave to us are the foundation of Christianity.

The teaching of Jesus are superior and replaced previous teachings.
Jesus was aware of the differences, as we're his disciples.
These differences are not alternative options to be argued over.
Or chosen between.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The new testament does not contradict the old testament.
Of course the NT contradicts the Tanakh.
1. It replaces the central message of obedience to God with a new idea that you are saved by faith.
2. It misquotes the prophets, either by mistranslating, pretending that verses are prophecies which are not, and even making up whole new prophecies that don't exist at all in the Tanakh.
3. It accepts as Messiah someone who has not fulfilled all the Messianic prophecies.
4. It encourages idolatry by encouraging the worship of a man, when the Tanakh states 4 times that God is not a man.

IndigoChild5559

Contradictions are not unique to NT vs OT, they can be found anywhere in the scriptures and each one can be scripturally solved.

Here is what scriptures say as an answer to your "NT is false teachings"
Jeremiah 31:31-34

Therefore the law of the new covenant is in heart rather than in scriptures.
And just before you say that this new covenant applies only to Israel here is a proof that it does not: Hoshea 2:25b
The problem is that the law is NOT now written on our hearts. We still have to teach our children right from wrong.

Secondly, you will notice that it says there will be no atheists, yet atheists still exist.

IOW, we can be certain that the New Covenant has not yet come.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Of course the NT contradicts the Tanakh.
1. It replaces the central message of obedience to God with a new idea that you are saved by faith.
2. It misquotes the prophets, either by mistranslating, pretending that verses are prophecies which are not, and even making up whole new prophecies that don't exist at all in the Tanakh.
3. It accepts as Messiah someone who has not fulfilled all the Messianic prophecies.
4. It encourages idolatry by encouraging the worship of a man, when the Tanakh states 4 times that God is not a man.
From what I have learned from various Jewish people is that your interpretation of scriptures differs from our interpretation regarding messiah, (excluding canon differences) but otherwise there is no fundamental difference since we both expect messiah.

To go step by step and interpret OT or Tanakh to learn why is that so it would take ages and a lot of knowledge of scriptures.
here on forums we can only shoot each other on what did prophets mean and what is the will of God.

IndigoChild5559

From what I have learned from various Jewish people is that your interpretation of scriptures differs from our interpretation regarding messiah, (excluding canon differences) but otherwise there is no fundamental difference since we both expect messiah.

To go step by step and interpret OT or Tanakh to learn why is that so it would take ages and a lot of knowledge of scriptures.
here on forums we can only shoot each other on what did prophets mean and what is the will of God.
I was very specific in the four ways that the NT is in conflict with the Tanakh. Unless you want to address those four ways, you really aren't replying.

Bree

You say that to modern women who view biblical status of women with disgust toward the church, for example women who desire "right" for their body as a pretense to kill their fetus or women who organized their own non-profit institutions dedicated toward right of women. you tell them that.

their view is warped. The bible upholds womens rights and dignity but it relgates women to a specific role which modern women take offense to.

The women of today want to be in mens roles, but God has other plans for women and the bible clearly states what their role should be.

Truth in love

I'm sure most of you have read the OT literally, page by page until all was read out, at least that's how I familiarized my self with the OT, although several times over.

I always wondered what to do about verses and texts that are contradictory to the teachings of Jesus.

For example Sirach 12:4-5 or Wisdom 13:1 are clearly contradictory to what Jesus was teaching.
We can find many such examples.

My "key" to differentiate so far is what Thomas Aquinas said that OT should be split into 3 parts:

1. Morality (Moral part)
2. Ceremonial (Ritual part)
3. Judicial (Legal part)

Where "moral" part is eternal, that is it's unchangeable, it's weight is same in both the OT and NT.
And Ceremonial and Judicial parts are a thing of the past that is, their weight does not flow into NT.

An example of Moral part is: 10 commandments of God and 2 commandments of love.
An example of Ceremonial part is: the duties of the Levites
An example of Judicial part is: The law of Moses

It's not hard to categorize certain text from OT into these 3 groups, but there are exceptions as with 2 wisdom examples above.

What is your method? how do you categorize when suggestion from Thomas Aquinas does not apply or when it's not obvious into which part some text goes?

Are there any specific bible verses or texts you would like to share here which you consider incomprehensible for the sake of such categorization or applicability to modern day life or teachings of Jesus?

A couple answers here.
1. The rituals and cultural specific items in the law of Moses ended about 33AD. I try to learn from those teachings, but I’m not sacrificing sheep.

2. Many of the core concepts of right and wrong are un changed. So the 10 commandments did not come to an end.
3. Thankfully consistent with the Bible’s teaching God continues to call prophets and apostles who can with authority let us know what does or does not apply.

IndigoChild5559

A couple answers here.
1. The rituals and cultural specific items in the law of Moses ended about 33AD. I try to learn from those teachings, but I’m not sacrificing sheep.
The Torah makes no distinction between ritual and moral laws. There are simply commandments of God.

vulcanlogician

However Jesus was also very critical against Pharisees, and went so far as to cast out money-changers and others John 2:13-16
The point being that loving others doesn't mean tolerating everything or being indifferent toward wrong, that's not love.

It's possible that love does entail a tremendous and extraordinary amount of tolerance, even if it doesn't entail being indifferent towards wrong. It might not involve an infinite amount of toleration, but might include toleration of everything up to and including tolerating the activities of people who are in the process of crucifying you.

I'm not saying the Bible endorses that level of toleration, but it endorses an amount of toleration over and above being hot n' bothered because the gays in your city want to have a pride parade does it not?

After all, if someone who slaps your cheek deserves toleration, it seems like a no-brainer to be tolerant of some parade two blocks down.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe there is no way to add to the Bible but that does not mean there is nothing new. There is just no way to verify it.