• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you cope with receving awards ?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
As the title says; how do you feel when you have to go upto someone on stage who is going to present you with an award ? Are you perfectly fine about it, or would you rather crawl under a nearby chair ?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
michel said:
As the title says; how do you feel when you have to go upto someone on stage who is going to present you with an award ? Are you perfectly fine about it, or would you rather crawl under a nearby chair ?

Not only am I fine about it, but I'd walk around the stage blowing kisses at everyone and stretching my arms out like Diana Ross. :flirt:

Peace,
Mystic

Mavrikmind

Depends on if I think I deserve the award. If I think I don't deserve it, I feel like hiding. I hate that feeling really.

FatMan

michel said:

I used to think that prizes were damaging and divisive… until I got one… and now they seem sort of meaningful and real.

OK. That wasn't me - it was Bill Nighy, but that's how I feel!!

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
If it is something I worked hard for e.g. a graduation, I feel a great sense of accomplishment because I would have reflected on all the sacrifice and hard work I put into it. Other than that, I hate to be the center of attention. When I have to go up on stage, I sometimes get confused and think, "Which hand to collect it with and which hand to shake again?" I worry that I might trip and fall. If it's a graduation, it's not so bad, because many others are also the center of attention. However, if I have to collect an award alone, I get terrified that they will ask me to give a speech. The only time I was ever singled out for an award was probably when I was chosen as a Bazaar Queen at a Bazaar that was being held at a nearby Temple. There was no beauty contest or anything. Someone just came up to me in the crowd and told me that I was chosen to be the Bazaar Queen. **whimpers** They called me up on stage and gave me a gift (which turned out to be a sari), then asked me a couple simple questions. The presenter just asked me my name and where I lived. Thank God that was all he asked. (I think that was all). I was sort of light headed and entering a trance like state. I think cold sweat was also involved. :D BTW, I was in my early teens when that happened.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
FatMan said:
I used to think that prizes were damaging and divisive… until I got one… and now they seem sort of meaningful and real.

OK. That wasn't me - it was Bill Nighy, but that's how I feel!!

From the Golden Globe Awards I think. I thought it was so funny. :p

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Unfortunately, my wife got to the post before I did yesterday....

I have been invited to a hotel where they are presenting awards (which mostly just come through the post) for the Computer course I was following. I packed it in when I was 2/3 way through all the subjects, but am still owed two certificates.

Of course, my wife wants to see me go up on stage to receive the award:cover: Usually, I want to skulk away in a corner; If I ever buy raffle tickets, I sit there silently saying "Please don't let me win anything!!"

I guess now she has hold of the letter, I will have to go...........

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
michel said:
Unfortunately, my wife got to the post before I did yesterday....

I have been invited to a hotel where they are presenting awards (which mostly just come through the post) for the Computer course I was following. I packed it in when I was 2/3 way through all the subjects, but am still owed two certificates.

Of course, my wife wants to see me go up on stage to receive the award:cover: Usually, I want to skulk away in a corner; If I ever buy raffle tickets, I sit there silently saying "Please don't let me win anything!!"

Hah hah! Anyway, it wouldn't be so bad if there are others to collect awards as well. I know what you mean about the raffle ticket thingy. In such cases, if my dad is with me, I will give him my ticket and tell him to collect the prize. There was a celebration at my Temple for Divali a couple years ago. Everyone was given a number and there was a drawing whereby a number will be called and the person holding that number had to go up and answer a question on Hinduism for a chance to win a prize. My number was 99. They just gave out the numbers randomly, not in any particular order. When 99 was called, the Pundit of the Temple joked on the microphone "So late you came?" Implying that I was the 99th person to come. BTW, my dad was NOT close by so I couldn't give my number to him. Well I did answer the question correctly, but when the words came out of my mouth, I sounded like Alvin from the Chipmunks. Or do I normally sound like that :confused:

Booko

Deviled Hen
michel said:

I'll take the chair for $200, Mr. Trebek. :cover:

In other instances, I'm perfectly fine with being on a stage. If I'm performing or lecturing, that's fine. I just don't like awards so publically handed out. I dunno why. I've always been that way.

Although in the past 10 years, I've gotten several "awards" in very inappropriate circumstancs. :rolleyes:

The most extreme one was when a group that supposedly oversaw our committee had gone so awry that our committee had to send over 100 pages of documentation to a higher body so maybe *they* could straighten things out and then they gave me an award not a month after we'd sent in the report that pretty clearly showed a pattern of constant lying and breaking the law as well? uh...right... :areyoucra

That whole award was given in a setting where no awards should be given (not an appropriate agenda item), was clearly given for political reasons ("see...we're not against these people -- we're very nice and they're very uncooperative!") and finally, they couldn't even spell my blasted last name right. :sarcastic

In circumstances like that, getting an "award" was frankly rather insulting, and it was all I could do just to mumble an unfelt thank you and sit down and bite my tongue, but seriously anything else would have just caused damage, so silence was better.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Now some of you are mentioning different circumstances, I find that It is not "just" the stage - it is the receiving of the award.

My wife and I took part in an amateur dramatics play at the local church (trying to raise funds for charity)..and yet I felt fine about that.

Do you think that it might be because some of us find it hard to accept compliments ? - especially public ones......

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I've only really won one award outside of school, for my designs. I just smiled and kissed everyone's cheek twice, held the plaque up and said "Hvala ti" (Thank you; informal) into the microphone.

In school it was different, when we got certificates at the end of each course. When they called each student's name, their friends would cheer and everyone would politely clap. Well I got half a dozen guys doing that deep and annoying, "Woot! Woot! Woot!" - and three or four of my friends shouting, "Yay!" or something. So I gave a really nice strut and kissed that poor presenter boy on the lips - hahaha.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
michel said:
Now some of you are mentioning different circumstances, I find that It is not "just" the stage - it is the receiving of the award.

My wife and I took part in an amateur dramatics play at the local church (trying to raise funds for charity)..and yet I felt fine about that.

Do you think that it might be because some of us find it hard to accept compliments ? - especially public ones......

I think so. I know that I've complimented you before and it seemed like you just wanted to run away. How did you react to receiving your 1, 2, 3.........how many RF awards do you have, again? :)

We can practice, if you'd like, so you won't have to go through this kind of anguish:

Michel, come and accept this award on my behalf for your outstanding contributions dedicationto RF and for your unending kindness and compassion. You are an inspiration for all of us!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: YAAAAYYYYYY Michel!!!!

*offers metaphorical medal of honor*

I sincerely mean this, and I'd do it in a heartbeat so that you can officially be recognized for your efforts and what you mean to us. If you still feel undeserving, I'd suggest watching It's a Wonderful Life again to remind you that sometimes all of us are like George that need a Clarence. We all at times need to be reminded of what we mean to our families and our communities.

I'm glad you were born and that you found this place. YAAYYY Michel!

Peace,
Mystic

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
You see, I feel that is totally undeserved, and am so glad that this is over the internet; if we were face to face, I would dig a quich hole in the ground and get into it.........

Maybe this has something to do with the way we have been brought up, and lived our lives ?

I was PMing another member earlier today about the fact that I came to realize that we are so quick to point out bad behaviour or negative traits in our children; it was a real effort to remember to praise them at every opportunity........I guess life is busy and we are too quick to grumble, but don't make the time to praise.

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
Makes me want to hide!!!! I can't stand being center of attention. Trust me, I botched my own wedding because of it. I realized that all eyes were on me about 30 seconds into it so I began laughing hysterically. I couldn't even get my vows out. I finally gave up and told Jayson that he knew what I was trying to say. Half of the guests were laughing at me and the other half were horrified and disgusted with me. :cover:

Booko

Deviled Hen
michel said:

You can't just talk to your wife about this and let her know that while you understand it would mean something to her, it would make you feel terrible? You might find it's really not all that important to her that she would want you to be so uncomfortable.

Booko

Deviled Hen
michel said:

Yes, I often have a difficult time accepting compliments, especially in person. For the sake of the person giving the compliment, I've learned to be more graceful in accepting them, though. I don't want to make them feel uncomfortable or anything.

RevOxley_501

michel said:

someone give me an award and i will tell you!

:sorry1:

Booko

Deviled Hen
michel said:
You see, I feel that is totally undeserved, and am so glad that this is over the internet; if we were face to face, I would dig a quich hole in the ground and get into it.........

Ah, but when so many of us tell you the same thing...we might actually be right you know. ;)

Maybe this has something to do with the way we have been brought up, and lived our lives ?

Very likely, although some of it seems a natural predisposition. But I was raised in a culture that doesn't care much for public scenes of any sort, and my mum worked very hard to teach us not to get big-headed, as there's always someone smarter, faster or more talented out there.

I was PMing another member earlier today about the fact that I came to realize that we are so quick to point out bad behaviour or negative traits in our children; it was a real effort to remember to praise them at every opportunity........I guess life is busy and we are too quick to grumble, but don't make the time to praise.

In the U.S., I daresay much of the parenting style is to give more praise, especially in this generation. That's fine, as long as it isn't *just* praise that's given out. No need to make the kiddies feel they're little gods or anything. :eek: Then they think they don't need to learn anything and everything they do is ok.