• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you cope with mental illness?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Mental illness is terrible. I would rather be sane and dying of cancer than be mentally ill, because mental illness is more frightening to other people and more offensive.

Today is the feast of Saint Dymphna, patron Saint of the mentally ill.

I feel sometimes like I'm not crazy, filled with manic energy and happiness, other times crushed with grief, feeling delusional, suicidal, no energy, isolated, and nothing helps at those times, save for something that gives me hope in God or some Spiritual entity.

It is torture with guilt and shame and grief sometimes, with no energy, and a feeling like I'll never be able to function in society.

Sometimes everything seems just fine, but later all falls apart.

When the mental illness hits, it seriously feels like being possessed by demons, in need of an exorcism, because I have schizophrenic phases/episodes where I have felt I was the Antichrist.

It was weird, during one of those phases I prayed if I was the Antichrist I would see 666 when the doors of my cell popped. The doors popped and I saw a magazine opened to a page with a bunch of Jerseys numbered 66, next to each other. Right after, another inmate, who didn't know I prayed about a 666 sign, he brought over a picture of the Pope, and some one drew 6 on his head.

Stuff like that makes me feel affirmed that I am an incarnation and personification of evil , wickedness, or some beast of the Apocalypse, but I don't feel like I can overcome it at times. It simply sometimes feels like a plan and destiny out of my control..

Other times I just dismiss it as delusion, and try to be as good, kind, humble, altruistic a person as I can be.

Prayer and meditation sometimes helps, with a structured environment with professionals. Medicine hasn't really helped much.

Do you have mental illness? How does it manifest, and how do you cope?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Don't overthink it. It's medical, and just seek professional help, without talking religion or philosophy, because the latter is not their expertise and no one should take advantage of your situation with that stuff.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Self-Compassion is key. You got to have some mercy on yourself. You do that, and things get easier. By mercy, I don't mean accept your flaws or non-judgment or non-shame, I just mean care about yourself a bit.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Self-Compassion is key. You got to have some mercy on yourself. You do that, and things get easier. By mercy, I don't mean accept your flaws or non-judgment or non-shame, I just mean care about yourself a bit.
Thank you. You are kind, compassionate, and wise. :)

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you. You are kind, compassionate, and wise. :)

I am probably lived one of the most evil lives on earth. But God doesn't want people discussing their sins in public, so I won't say why I say that.

Another important thing is to always have hope for the future. And be relentless, keep fighting for your future, never give up. One day things will settle and the storm will whether down.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I am probably lived one of the most evil lives on earth. But God doesn't want people discussing their sins in public, so I won't say why I say that.

Another important thing is to always have hope for the future. And be relentless, keep fighting for your future, never give up. One day things will settle and the storm will whether down.
Well, thank you for being humble and recognizing yourself as a sinner, but I always felt you were compassionate and care about others.

Evil lives within everyone, but compassion and being humble is never evil. And I feel you have both of those noble qualities. :)

It is a very fierce battle that rages within some people, the battle between good and evil. My heart breaks for people that are not able to win victory.

Many are enslaved to sin and vice, who do what they hate, no matter how hard they try. I know the feeling.

Keep the faith brother. I will offer up my suffering for you. :)

rocala

Thank you for bringing this subject to people's attention. As a young man, I used to do some voluntary work for a charity. This often brought me into contact with mentally ill people. It was one hell of an education.

I guess that those who I met could be divided into two groups, although I am aware that there is some overlap.

Firstly there are those whose illness is highly visible due to the sufferer's behavior. Such people often suffer terrible isolation. Secondly, there are people who seem to lead normal lives, but inside they are going through absolute hell. People suffering from depression and anxiety are typical of this.

That was forty years ago, but the memory of the misery that I witnessed is still with me.

74x12

Mental illness is terrible. I would rather be sane and dying of cancer than be mentally ill, because mental illness is more frightening to other people and more offensive.

Today is the feast of Saint Dymphna, patron Saint of the mentally ill.

I feel sometimes like I'm not crazy, filled with manic energy and happiness, other times crushed with grief, feeling delusional, suicidal, no energy, isolated, and nothing helps at those times, save for something that gives me hope in God or some Spiritual entity.

It is torture with guilt and shame and grief sometimes, with no energy, and a feeling like I'll never be able to function in society.

Sometimes everything seems just fine, but later all falls apart.

When the mental illness hits, it seriously feels like being possessed by demons, in need of an exorcism, because I have schizophrenic phases/episodes where I have felt I was the Antichrist.

It was weird, during one of those phases I prayed if I was the Antichrist I would see 666 when the doors of my cell popped. The doors popped and I saw a magazine opened to a page with a bunch of Jerseys numbered 66, next to each other. Right after, another inmate, who didn't know I prayed about a 666 sign, he brought over a picture of the Pope, and some one drew 6 on his head.

Stuff like that makes me feel affirmed that I am an incarnation and personification of evil , wickedness, or some beast of the Apocalypse, but I don't feel like I can overcome it at times. It simply sometimes feels like a plan and destiny out of my control..

Other times I just dismiss it as delusion, and try to be as good, kind, humble, altruistic a person as I can be.

Prayer and meditation sometimes helps, with a structured environment with professionals. Medicine hasn't really helped much.

Do you have mental illness? How does it manifest, and how do you cope?
I have anxiety issues. What helps me is just to face it. Reconcile myself to whatever I'm worried about and accept it. Afraid to die? Just accept death. Afraid of whatever. Just imagine yourself in that situation and accept it. Basic stoicism.

Why even pray "Am I the antichrist?" This is the type of prayer that invites an answer from satan rather than God. I've learned not to pray some things. Because faith is to believe that God loves you and chooses you for good and not for evil.

Maybe you have antichrist tendencies because we all do.

Still, it seems like demons tormenting. I know they can do things like that. They have control over certain people; so for them to convince someone to put a 6 on the pope's head so you could see it is easy. They just need to suggest it in some people's minds and those people listen. So remember that. People are used by satan all the time to tempt or test you. They mean no harm; but satan's using them anyway. Similar to the Matrix movies where they can take over anyone to attack you. It's like that but not as dramatic.

Jesus said "Father forgive them for they know not what they do"

Satan can do things in moments of temptation that he normally doesn't have the power to do. Like satan can make the stones appear as bread to tempt Jesus Christ. He can send down fire from heaven to destroy Job's flocks and herds. So he has a lot of power in the moment of temptation. Even power over situations where you pray and your prayer goes unanswered by God and is instead for the moment; answered by satan; to scare you or trick you in some fiendish way. But God hasn't truly abandoned his beloved. He's only withholding his hand of protection for the moment because the temptation works a more weighty matter of glory in the end. At least for those who follow what is good. Because that's what it all comes down to. Every temptation is a choice. To do good or evil.

This is part of the moment of temptation. Greater the temptation the greater the potential victory. Satan tempts those who have potential because he must keep them in check.

To conquer though we must recognize when we are in the middle of the moment of temptation. Otherwise we'll assume God has abandoned and so all hope is lost.

Don't dwell on past failures because even failure has it's use. They're of course failing because they were tested and that at least is something. God knew already before that we would fail. This itself is another temptation because it says give up because you're a failure. But hope says keep going, keep trying the only failure is to quit.

Faith is weird because it says believe even when you fail or even when things get worse. No, especially when you have failed or things get worse! Because you never needed faith more. And that's the only thing that makes sense. Rather than turning on God and blaming God. God says don't be anxious about anything, fear not.

You cannot fail so badly that it causes even God to fail and you cannot fail God off his throne. He's still in control. He still has a plan. This is why faith still makes sense when everything has failed. Because he promises Behold I make all things new.

Whoever wasn't ever tested ... it's very easy for them to sit in ease and judge and even scorn those who have.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I have anxiety issues. What helps me is just to face it. Reconcile myself to whatever I'm worried about and accept it. Afraid to die? Just accept death. Afraid of whatever. Just imagine yourself in that situation and accept it. Basic stoicism.

Why even pray "Am I the antichrist?" This is the type of prayer that invites an answer from satan rather than God. I've learned not to pray some things. Because faith is to believe that God loves you and chooses you for good and not for evil.

Maybe you have antichrist tendencies because we all do.

Still, it seems like demons tormenting. I know they can do things like that. They have control over certain people; so for them to convince someone to put a 6 on the pope's head so you could see it is easy. They just need to suggest it in some people's minds and those people listen. So remember that. People are used by satan all the time to tempt or test you. They mean no harm; but satan's using them anyway. Similar to the Matrix movies where they can take over anyone to attack you. It's like that but not as dramatic.

Jesus said "Father forgive them for they know not what they do"

Satan can do things in moments of temptation that he normally doesn't have the power to do. Like satan can make the stones appear as bread to tempt Jesus Christ. He can send down fire from heaven to destroy Job's flocks and herds. So he has a lot of power in the moment of temptation. Even power over situations where you pray and your prayer goes unanswered by God and is instead for the moment; answered by satan; to scare you or trick you in some fiendish way. But God hasn't truly abandoned his beloved. He's only withholding his hand of protection for the moment because the temptation works a more weighty matter of glory in the end. At least for those who follow what is good. Because that's what it all comes down to. Every temptation is a choice. To do good or evil.

This is part of the moment of temptation. Greater the temptation the greater the potential victory. Satan tempts those who have potential because he must keep them in check.

To conquer though we must recognize when we are in the middle of the moment of temptation. Otherwise we'll assume God has abandoned and so all hope is lost.

Don't dwell on past failures because even failure has it's use. They're of course failing because they were tested and that at least is something. God knew already before that we would fail. This itself is another temptation because it says give up because you're a failure. But hope says keep going, keep trying the only failure is to quit.

Faith is weird because it says believe even when you fail or even when things get worse. No, especially when you have failed or things get worse! Because you never needed faith more. And that's the only thing that makes sense. Rather than turning on God and blaming God. God says don't be anxious about anything, fear not.

You cannot fail so badly that it causes even God to fail and you cannot fail God off his throne. He's still in control. He still has a plan. This is why faith still makes sense when everything has failed. Because he promises Behold I make all things new.

Whoever wasn't ever tested ... it's very easy for them to sit in ease and judge and even scorn those who have.
Thank you. You offer good advice and things to think about. Some evil entity (s) seem to have been manipulating me since I was very young. But God, Angels, and good entities have been at work too. My ability to discern needs a lot of work though. I feel like a trafficker of good and evil spirits at different times. I'm very uncomfortable in my own skin with that. I don't know how to win victory, but I guess victory is entirely the work of God!

If your so called symptoms have not incite you do to evil, then you are just a normal person.

I will consider someone who never gets angry or stays calm in the middle of danger, as a mental sick person.

I think you must take advantage of your different status in your personality, and do good with them when you feel them.

The God is with you, He knows what you have, and as long as you use your different modes to help someone when you feel energetic, pray for others when you are calm, and so forth, then your so called issues might become gifts in your life.

If you think you are a special case, I can bet several of participants here might have similar symptoms, but they just won't post about them here... or there...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I finally found a med that helps (Cymbalta). I overall feel much better, enough to feel how various other things are effecting me and I've come to realize I have a lot of past hurts and pains to work through.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If your so called symptoms have not incite you do to evil, then you are just a normal person.

I will consider someone who never gets angry or stays calm in the middle of danger, as a mental sick person.

I think you must take advantage of your different status in your personality, and do good with them when you feel them.

The God is with you, He knows what you have, and as long as you use your different modes to help someone when you feel energetic, pray for others when you are calm, and so forth, then your so called issues might become gifts in your life.

If you think you are a special case, I can bet several of participants here might have similar symptoms, but they just won't post about them here... or there...
Thank you. Good wise words. :)