• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Jews cope with other religions

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
So, what brings you to Germany? You do not sound too happy to be there? Is there religious tolerance there ? Are you able to continue your chemistry studies there ? The Max Planks are in Germany, have you looked at them?
So just in case I'm seeing a pattern here since you also questioned my motives for living in Israel (quite ridiculous because I'm a Sabra). Why are you questioning the motives of Jewish members about where they live in relation to their opinions or beliefs? If I'm off base here, please correct me.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
So just in case I'm seeing a pattern here since you also questioned my motives for living in Israel (quite ridiculous because I'm a Sabra). Why are you questioning the motives of Jewish members about where they live in relation to their opinions or beliefs? If I'm off base here, please correct me.

Hi Caladan, since I am new here, and seem to have irritated your sensibilities, I must be the one off-base. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

I do find people living in other parts of the world from me interesting, that is the reason for my questions. I have no other motive. I will be glad to discuss the relation between where I live, and my opinions and beliefs, if that is of interest to anyone. It is cool that you are a Sabra.

BTW, what is the significance of the horn coming out of your head in your avatar ?

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Hi Caladan, since I am new here, and seem to have irritated your sensibilities, I must be the one off-base. My apologies for any misunderstanding.
I apologize as well for jumping to conclusions.
I do find people living in other parts of the world from me interesting, that is the reason for my questions. I have no other motive. I will be glad to discuss the relation between where I live, and my opinions and beliefs, if that is of interest to anyone. It is cool that you are a Sabra.
Cool. That's not a bad idea, I think that if you create a thread about the subject it might generate interest.

BTW, what is the significance of the horn coming out of your head in your avatar ?
It's the god Pan. The god of the wild, who had horns (and other characteristics). He was widely worshipped in one my favorite natural landscapes in Israel, which I may discuss in my upcoming dissertation.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
It's the god Pan. The god of the wild, who had horns (and other characteristics). He was widely worshipped in one my favorite natural landscapes in Israel, which I may discuss in my upcoming dissertation.

I did not realize that Pan was worshipped in Israel at any time. The anthropology of Israel must be one of the most interesting in the world.

chosen people

Jews accept that god has a divine covenant with the Jewish people and the nation of Israel but what is the standpoint for other religions?

Do Jews believe other religions are man made or false?

Considering the bond Jews have with god how do other religions fit into Jewish theology?

Judaism teaches that it is easier for the Gentile than for the Jew to get into the World to Come as they have only to follow the seven Noahide commandments. Judaism therefore is a true universal religion. You do not have to be born a Jew or accept Judaism for redemption. In the book of Yonah (Jonah) we see Jonah being sent by God to a foreign place for the redemption of a Gentile city which is in fact granted redemption . There is one God and He is the God of all and we are His children. We can therefore see why it is neither necessary or desirable to encourage conversion to Judaism though Judaism allows and fully accepts converts. Judaism speaks to the equality of all men - to the concept of the Righteous Gentile.

However, this is only true concerning Gentiles not Jews. Under Judaism, if a Jew abandons Judaism and adopts Gentile beliefs, than that Jew is cut off forever both from God and the Jewish people. Jewish parents seeing their children exposed to missionary activity are sincerely and seriously concerned for their children's welfare.

The Jewish prophets have explicitly stated, in the Messianic Era, Gentiles will stop being blinded to the truth and realize they have inherited falsehood:

"Hashem (God) my Strength, my Stronghold and my Refuge on the day of distress! To You (God) nations will come from the ends of the earth and say: "It was all falsehood that our ancestors inherited, futility that has no purpose. Can a man make gods for himself - they are not gods! (Jeremiah 16:19-20)
יט יְהוָה עֻזִּי וּמָעֻזִּי, וּמְנוּסִי--בְּיוֹם צָרָה; אֵלֶיךָ, גּוֹיִם יָבֹאוּ מֵאַפְסֵי-אָרֶץ, וְיֹאמְרוּ אַךְ-שֶׁקֶר נָחֲלוּ אֲבוֹתֵינוּ, הֶבֶל וְאֵין-בָּם מוֹעִיל.
כ הֲיַעֲשֶׂה-לּוֹ אָדָם, אֱלֹהִים; וְהֵמָּה, לֹא אֱלֹהִים.

{In the Messianic Era} "Nations will walk by your [the Jewish People's] light and kings by the brilliance of your shine" Isaiah 60:3
וְהָלְכוּ גוֹיִם, לְאוֹרֵךְ; וּמְלָכִים, לְנֹגַהּ זַרְחֵךְ.

"I will set you [the Jewish People] for a covenant to the people, for a light to the nations, to open blind eyes [in the Messianic Age] Isaiah 42:6-7
וְאֶתֶּנְךָ לִבְרִית עָם--לְאוֹר גּוֹיִם.
לִפְקֹחַ, עֵינַיִם עִוְרוֹת

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Judaism teaches that it is easier for the Gentile than for the Jew to get into the World to Come as they have only to follow the seven Noahide commandments. Judaism therefore is a true universal religion. You do not have to be born a Jew or accept Judaism for redemption. In the book of Yonah (Jonah) we see Jonah being sent by God to a foreign place for the redemption of a Gentile city which is in fact granted redemption . There is one God and He is the God of all and we are His children. We can therefore see why it is neither necessary or desirable to encourage conversion to Judaism though Judaism allows and fully accepts converts. Judaism speaks to the equality of all men - to the concept of the Righteous Gentile.

However, this is only true concerning Gentiles not Jews. Under Judaism, if a Jew abandons Judaism and adopts Gentile beliefs, than that Jew is cut off forever both from God and the Jewish people. Jewish parents seeing their children exposed to missionary activity are sincerely and seriously concerned for their children's welfare.

The Jewish prophets have explicitly stated, in the Messianic Era, Gentiles will stop being blinded to the truth and realize they have inherited falsehood:

"Hashem (God) my Strength, my Stronghold and my Refuge on the day of distress! To You (God) nations will come from the ends of the earth and say: "It was all falsehood that our ancestors inherited, futility that has no purpose. Can a man make gods for himself - they are not gods! (Jeremiah 16:19-20)
יט יְהוָה עֻזִּי וּמָעֻזִּי, וּמְנוּסִי--בְּיוֹם צָרָה; אֵלֶיךָ, גּוֹיִם יָבֹאוּ מֵאַפְסֵי-אָרֶץ, וְיֹאמְרוּ אַךְ-שֶׁקֶר נָחֲלוּ אֲבוֹתֵינוּ, הֶבֶל וְאֵין-בָּם מוֹעִיל.
כ הֲיַעֲשֶׂה-לּוֹ אָדָם, אֱלֹהִים; וְהֵמָּה, לֹא אֱלֹהִים.

{In the Messianic Era} "Nations will walk by your [the Jewish People's] light and kings by the brilliance of your shine" Isaiah 60:3
וְהָלְכוּ גוֹיִם, לְאוֹרֵךְ; וּמְלָכִים, לְנֹגַהּ זַרְחֵךְ.

"I will set you [the Jewish People] for a covenant to the people, for a light to the nations, to open blind eyes [in the Messianic Age] Isaiah 42:6-7
וְאֶתֶּנְךָ לִבְרִית עָם--לְאוֹר גּוֹיִם.
לִפְקֹחַ, עֵינַיִם עִוְרוֹת
This war far more relevant and responsive when first posted back in February at another site. :yes:

chosen people

This war far more relevant and responsive when first posted back in February at another site. :yes:

Since similar questions repeat themselves on differnt forums, my answer to these questions are naturally similar. However, the relevance of the answer does not change. If you have a comment relating to the content of the post, I would be happy to reply.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I'm not sure you've noticed but your religious title and your location are both typed in CAPITAL. In online etiquette capital letters equal SHOUTING.
The common (and more aesthetic) way to type it would be:
Religion: Jewish

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Since similar questions repeat themselves on differnt forums, my answer to these questions are naturally similar.
The cut-n-paste technique likewise results in posts that are "naturally similar."

However, the relevance of the answer does not change. If you have a comment relating to the content of the post, I would be happy to reply.
Sure: given that the OP asks ...
Jews accept that god has a divine covenant with the Jewish people and the nation of Israel but what is the standpoint for other religions? Do Jews believe other religions are man made or false?
... what is the relevance of your answer? To say "it is easier for the Gentile than for the Jew to get into the World to Come," or that "if a Jew abandons Judaism and adopts Gentile beliefs, than that Jew is cut off forever both from God and the Jewish people," does not seem to address the question.