• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Catholics defend this?

confusedius

The Shadow
"CONCORD, N.H. -- The Republican leader of the New Hampshire House on Friday called Roman Catholic Bishop John McCormack a "pedophile pimp" who should have been led from the Statehouse in handcuffs after speaking at a rally criticizing a state budget proposal."

Huffington Post Saturday, April 2, 2011

I am not bringing this up to be unfriendly. I just need to understand how Catholics live with the continuous degenerate behavior of a distressing number of their leaders...

james

Last edited:

ninerbuff

godless wonder
As a former catholic, it's usually because most of them are uneducated in their own faith. I would say that the majority of them were just raised in it and just followed traditional rituals that went on. And mass is so repetitive that people just memorize the responses and speak them mindlessly. In almost all masses, it's pretty much the same except for the sermon by the priest, who in most cases is pretty boring. So most just go to go because they think going will absolve them from sinning along with confession. And you don't challenge what the pope says.

stlekee

Fool for Wisdom
Why does the leader of the House think its wrong to be involved in peaceful protest? This is still America I hope. Citizens have the right and responsibility to express themselves through protest. If this political leader has evidence of crimes, lets hear it and bring bring pedophiles to justice. But calling people names for political reasons is BS. Politics sucks about as much as some religions.

confusedius

The Shadow
Why does the leader of the House think its wrong to be involved in peaceful protest? This is still America I hope. Citizens have the right and responsibility to express themselves through protest. If this political leader has evidence of crimes, lets hear it and bring bring pedophiles to justice. But calling people names for political reasons is BS. Politics sucks about as much as some religions.

You are right. I think this should be debated in the court of public opinion with both sides able to present their cases. Here is the url for the article- let the debate begin...

D.J. Bettencourt: Bishop John McCormack A 'Pedophile Pimp'

james

doorknob

skeptical
if catholics really condoned this sort of behavior I'm sure they would be up in arms about them being arrested.

In any case pedophiles usually do look for jobs where they can gain easy access to children. Catholic priests aren't the only religious clergy ever guilty of being a pedophile! They are just the only ones in the spot light right now. They media is notorious for picking and choosing which stories it runs and huffington post doesn't come out smelling like a bed of roses either! All of stories are only ever run for political reasons or entertainment. Don't go being all naive and thinking they have some kind of duty to open the plublics eyes. We have all been the dogs of the media for far too long.

Personally people using these kinds of attacks to attack some one's religions is hitting below the belt. What does that even have to do with catholic teachings? If you want to attack catholics hey I'm all for it! but you'd better be prepared to find out what it's actual teachings are. Personally I find fault with all christianity. It's all over the map on what it's core teachings really are and when something is proven wrong it's always chocked up to translation errors and some one can always come back and argue that, that is not what christians really believe. It gets old.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Catholics "defend" this about as much as teacher's unions "defend" pedophiles in their ranks, or the Boy Scouts "defend" pedophile Scout leaders.

About five percent of the population in general are sexual predators and/or pedophiles. This percentage crosses all lines when it comes to vocations. This means that about five percent of the clergy, doctors, teachers, veterinarians, circus performers, truck drivers, and nurses are pedophiles.

I don't know of a single Catholic parishioner who CONDONES this behavior. And those in church leadership who ignore the problem are just as guilty as those who molest their congregations. They should be tried and convicted just like anyone else.

doorknob

skeptical
Yeah I'm agnostic now but I WAS born and raised catholic I am very familiar with their teachings and never once have I ever seen proof that catholics condone pedophilia. I"m pretty sure they are appalled by it. I'm not sure why this news article even made you come to a conclusion like that? This is stereo type that the media has been working on for years and people buy into it. And I also find it pretty hypocritical of any one using this as their basis for debunking a religion. Obviously a bunch of pedophiles became priests because they knew that parents trust priests with their children. Also it is well documented and known that pedophiles seek jobs where they can get access to children like teachers, and child care workers and in this case priests. What they hell would ever make you think it has any thing to do with catholisism or its core beliefs and teachings?

If you don't like the religion or you don't agree with it fine. But you don't have to buy every thing the media says about it for that!

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
"CONCORD, N.H. -- The Republican leader of the New Hampshire House on Friday called Roman Catholic Bishop John McCormack a "pedophile pimp" who should have been led from the Statehouse in handcuffs after speaking at a rally criticizing a state budget proposal."

Huffington Post Saturday, April 2, 2011

I am not bringing this up to be unfriendly. I just need to understand how Catholics live with the continuous degenerate behavior of a distressing number of their leaders...

james
One wonders why so many people have fallen for his blatant diversion tactic...

doorknob

skeptical
yeah I think you are correct mestemia but I don't really think I completely fell for it. It's not like I buying into his claim. LOL

But I will say that thank you for quoting it. Now that I really look at exactly what he said and quoted it makes me wonder why I didn't see it sooner! What he quoted isn't even close to what he is asking. That quote is clearly making the republican look bad and I'm not sure how he makes the connection that it means catholics support pedophilia as a result of what he is quoting there. What the huffington post was saying is that republicans are attacking catholic preists with a stereo type.

But yeah I should read the whole article even the huffington post has it's little slant on the news. Right now its open season on politicians. the media IS looking for them to make these little slip ups so they can serve them too us on a silver platter. Personally I'm all for a politician barbecue!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Four fifths of our politicians need to be run out of town on a rail.

isyouis4.jpg

"Is you is, or is you ain't my constituents?"