• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did Jesus pray?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
... once more diving into the cesspool of baseless speculation.

So, why not first tell us: (a) how one might know, and (b) why is should matter.

Harmonious

Do Muslims pray the same way as Jesus and all the other prophets did and if not why not?
While I agree with the sentiments of Jay's post, I would say that Jesus was Jewish. He would have prayed as other Jews prayed.

Muslim prayer liturgy, while having similar contents and aspects to Jewish prayer liturgy, is different.

So... What were you aiming to learn with your question?

Pink Top Hat

Okay well I have no idea about how Jews pray so I will ask some questions.

How do Jews pray?

How many times a day do they pray and do they have set times like Muslims?

Do they wash before praying?

Do Jews all pray the same way?

Do Jews today pray the same as they did when Jesus was alive?

Where did Jews learn how to pray?

Did all their prophets pray the same way?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
** Staff Advisory **
Thread moved to General religious debates

Pink Top Hat

So... What were you aiming to learn with your question?

curiosity

I'm wondering what similarities there are between the Abrahamic faiths praying and if they possibly all did at one time pray the same way then it changed.

How each learned how to pray and from what source, what guidelines by whom etc?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
How did Jesus, according to Mathew (6:5-8), teach his followers to pray?

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you
And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.
Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him

He then goes on to give an example on prayer.

In Mark 1:35, we are told Jesus rises early in the morning to pray alone.
Mark 6:46, Jesus prays all night, alone.
In the tales of the Fish and Loaves, and the Last Supper, Jesus prays (gives thanks) before the meals.
He rebukes hypocrites for making long showy prayers in public.
And Luke tells us Jesus made a habit of praying alone and in private.
He falls to the ground and prays in Gethsemane, again, alone and apart from his followers.

So, no, it does not look like Muslims, or many Christians, pray as Jesus did, IMHO.

Harmonious

Okay well I have no idea about how Jews pray so I will ask some questions.

How do Jews pray?
We have formal prayer that are laid out in a prayer book, otherwise called a Siddur (which is Hebrew for "order"). Then there is informal prayer, which can happen at any time, anywhere, whenever inspiration takes us.

How many times a day do they pray and do they have set times like Muslims?
Our services are set for 3 times a day, unless it is Shabbat or holiday that requires extra services. They are morning, afternoon, and evening.

Morning services are often supplemented by the extra services for Shabbat or holidays. Afternoon services can be joined with evening services, separated by however much time needs to pass before the proper time for the evening prayer.

Muslims pray 5 times a day.

Do they wash before praying?
Usually. Washing hands in a ritualized fashion is common. Before Shabbat and holidays, it is not uncommon for men to go to the Mikvah (a ritual bath) to immerse before prayers, although this is not necessarily as widespread as hands.

Do Jews all pray the same way?
No. I will say that most Orthodox Jews share the same liturgy, although there are some regional or customary variations. And, to complicate matters, are the differences between Sephardic (primarily hailing from Mediterranean and/or Muslim countries) and Ashkenazic (primarily hailing from the rest of Europe and/or Christian countries) liturgy. And Chassidic groups have slight variations even from that.

The differences amongst Orthodox texts for liturgy is not a display of difference in beliefs, as much as it is a difference in custom, and that has developed regionally and with other sundry reasons.

Conservative and Reform have their own prayer books, although I've been in Conservative services where Orthodox texts were available if not otherwise used. The reasons for the differences in texts, I've been made to understand, are often to reflect slight differences in belief, or more egalitarian language to equalize the paternalistic language in Orthodox texts.

There might be more, but I can't speak with any authority of groups other than those which I've studied or observed.

Do Jews today pray the same as they did when Jesus was alive?
I would suggest, mostly. However, at the time of Jesus, the Temple was up and functioning.

Since the destruction of the Temple, certain prayers were modified to reflect the fact that we are doing without, and the hopefulness that it will be rebuilt.

There were modifications in prayer to reflect the circumstances of living with different non-Jewish neighbors, who were persecutory in different measures over the course of Jewish history.

There were modifications in prayer to reflect the poetical and liturgical genius of Torah scholars since the time of the Temple.

But the main emphasis of the prayers, particularly of Orthodox prayers (I can't account for what I don't know of others) has not changed dramatically since Temple times, or, Jesus' time.

Where did Jews learn how to pray?
Historically?

Just talking to God. Medrash suggests that the Morning Service was modeled after Abraham's practice, the Afternoon Service was modeled after Isaac's practice, and the Evening Service was modeled after Jacob's practice.

Grace after meals is credited to Moses for the first blessing, Joshua is given credit for the second blessing. I would have to check, but I believe King David is given credit for the third blessing, and the fourth blessing was written after the Romans allowed the Jews to bury the dead at Beitar.

The fact that the most poignant prayers are recited silently is credited to Chana, the mother of the Prophet Samuel.

The institution of which prayers are said, and how they are said, in in what order, and things of that nature, were hammered out by the Men of the Great Assembly, that existed between the two Temples.

I hope I've answered this question.

Did all their prophets pray the same way?
I would imagine not, as the formalization was a process.

I would say that the general ideas expressed in the regular prayers were all the same. However, there were all kinds of prayers given at different times, for different purposes, and I would say that they called for different formats.

Last edited:

Harmonious

curiosity

I'm wondering what similarities there are between the Abrahamic faiths praying and if they possibly all did at one time pray the same way then it changed.
I would say that Jesus struck out on his own, and taught how to pray a bit differently than standard practice of the Pharisees. And after he died (Christians would insist after he was resurrected), Christian prayer started including Jesus, in whatever capacity.

This is a major break between how Jews and Christians pray.

Muslims pray to God, addressing God's Oneness. I'm not sure how Muhammad taught Muslims to pray, but the general substance that I've learned of simple theological belief isn't all that different from how Jews pray.

The whole kneeling on the floor is different. Jews don't do that (with VERY few exceptions). Obvious differences in liturgy makes it different, but the belief system is similar in a closer match than either have to Christianity. After all, Jesus is usually involved in Christian prayer. No matter what Muslims think of Jesus, he isn't involved in Muslim prayer (that I'm aware of), and Jesus isn't at all involved in Jewish prayer.

Jews pray, preferably with at least a quorum of ten men, as Jewish law requires ten Jewish men to be present during certain events in services, including Torah reading, reciting Kaddish, the leader's repetition of the Silent Prayer (containing 19 blessings, 7, or 9, depending on what day and what service it is), and certain other individual prayers I may have left out

It is considered an honor to have more people present to participate, as a larger group brings greater glory to God. At least, that is part of the Jewish theory.

There is more involved, and differing sources may vary.

How each learned how to pray and from what source, what guidelines by whom etc?[/quote]

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
We have formal prayer that are laid out in a prayer book, otherwise called a Siddur (which is Hebrew for "order"). Then there is informal prayer, which can happen at any time, anywhere, whenever inspiration takes us.

Our services are set for 3 times a day, unless it is Shabbat or holiday that requires extra services. They are morning, afternoon, and evening.

Morning services are often supplemented by the extra services for Shabbat or holidays. Afternoon services can be joined with evening services, separated by however much time needs to pass before the proper time for the evening prayer.

Muslims pray 5 times a day.

Usually. Washing hands in a ritualized fashion is common. Before Shabbat and holidays, it is not uncommon for men to go to the Mikvah (a ritual bath) to immerse before prayers, although this is not necessarily as widespread as hands.

No. I will say that most Orthodox Jews share the same liturgy, although there are some regional or customary variations. And, to complicate matters, are the differences between Sephardic (primarily hailing from Mediterranean and/or Muslim countries) and Ashkenazic (primarily hailing from the rest of Europe and/or Christian countries) liturgy. And Chassidic groups have slight variations even from that.

The differences amongst Orthodox texts for liturgy is not a display of difference in beliefs, as much as it is a difference in custom, and that has developed regionally and with other sundry reasons.

Conservative and Reform have their own prayer books, although I've been in Conservative services where Orthodox texts were available if not otherwise used. The reasons for the differences in texts, I've been made to understand, are often to reflect slight differences in belief, or more egalitarian language to equalize the paternalistic language in Orthodox texts.

There might be more, but I can't speak with any authority of groups other than those which I've studied or observed.

I would suggest, mostly. However, at the time of Jesus, the Temple was up and functioning.

Since the destruction of the Temple, certain prayers were modified to reflect the fact that we are doing without, and the hopefulness that it will be rebuilt.

There were modifications in prayer to reflect the circumstances of living with different non-Jewish neighbors, who were persecutory in different measures over the course of Jewish history.

There were modifications in prayer to reflect the poetical and liturgical genius of Torah scholars since the time of the Temple.

But the main emphasis of the prayers, particularly of Orthodox prayers (I can't account for what I don't know of others) has not changed dramatically since Temple times, or, Jesus' time.

Historically?

Just talking to God. Medrash suggests that the Morning Service was modeled after Abraham's practice, the Afternoon Service was modeled after Isaac's practice, and the Evening Service was modeled after Jacob's practice.

Grace after meals is credited to Moses for the first blessing, Joshua is given credit for the second blessing. I would have to check, but I believe King David is given credit for the third blessing, and the fourth blessing was written after the Romans allowed the Jews to bury the dead at Beitar.

The fact that the most poignant prayers are recited silently is credited to Chana, the mother of the Prophet Samuel.

The institution of which prayers are said, and how they are said, in in what order, and things of that nature, were hammered out by the Men of the Great Assembly, that existed between the two Temples.

I hope I've answered this question.

I would imagine not, as the formalization was a process.

I would say that the general ideas expressed in the regular prayers were all the same. However, there were all kinds of prayers given at different times, for different purposes, and I would say that they called for different formats.
Interesting, in that, in the orthodox, Christian tradition, prayer is much the same. There are two basic strands: One divides prayer into Matins, Lauds, Terce, Sext, Nones, Vespers, and Compline, spread throughoutt the day. The other strands only divides into two major divisions: Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer (Compare to Lauds and Vespers). Compline remains as night prayer. together, these comprise (in Anglican tradition) what is known as the Daily Office.

A structured liturgy and accompanying lectionary comprises each office, which are structured around readings from the Psalms. The Eucharist may be celebrated (or observed) at the office, or not.

In addition to the major offices, more informal, morning, noon, and evening "min-offices" may be offered by individuals or families.

These canonical offices were derived from the Jewish practice.

Additionally, in the Celtic tradition, individual prayers were said throughout the day, as one went about one's tasks (the idea being that all work is sacred, and that Christians are to "pray without ceasing").

Harmonious

Interesting, in that, in the orthodox, Christian tradition, prayer is much the same. There are two basic strands: One divides prayer into Matins, Lauds, Terce, Sext, Nones, Vespers, and Compline, spread throughoutt the day. The other strands only divides into two major divisions: Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer (Compare to Lauds and Vespers). Compline remains as night prayer. together, these comprise (in Anglican tradition) what is known as the Daily Office.

A structured liturgy and accompanying lectionary comprises each office, which are structured around readings from the Psalms. The Eucharist may be celebrated (or observed) at the office, or not.

In addition to the major offices, more informal, morning, noon, and evening "min-offices" may be offered by individuals or families.

These canonical offices were derived from the Jewish practice.

Additionally, in the Celtic tradition, individual prayers were said throughout the day, as one went about one's tasks (the idea being that all work is sacred, and that Christians are to "pray without ceasing").
Nice to learn. :D

Thank you for sharing.

jtartar

Do Muslims pray the same way as Jesus and all the other prophets did and if not why not?

Pink Top Hat,
Muslims are one of the Three great religions began with Abraham, islam, Judaism, and Christianity. Muslims say that they believe in the Hebrew Scriptures, but they think their Koran has further revelations. Muslims do not believe that Jesus was the Messiah that was promised many times in the Hebrew Scriptures. In a prophecy given to Daniel and recorded at Dan 9:24-27, the exact time for the Messiah to manifest himself, was given. This is the prophecy about 70 weeks on the nation of Israel. The people were expecting the Messiah when John the Baptist came, that is why they asked him if he was the Messiah, Luke 3:15-13, Jesus came 6 Months after John the Baptist started preaching. It is a positive point to make; The Messiah would certainly have come by now, but the Muslims are still looking for the Messiah to come the first time, when it is almost the time when he is coming the second time, and this time Jesus will bring destruction on all who do not believe in the Gospels about him, 2Thes 1:6-10.
As for praying, there is NO command in the Hebrew Scriptures about how many times to pray. Just like the Scribes and Pharisees made up many manmade laws that burdened the people, the Muslims did the same. Jesus prayed any way he was at the time, sometimes sitting, sometimes standing, sometimes kneeling or lying down. Jesus prayed all night before he picked the 12 Apostles, Luke 6:12. One time Jesus' disciples asked him to teach them how to pray, Luke 11:1. Here Jesus gave his disciples some of the main points that are very important as in the Lord's Prayer, Matt 6:9-13. In the Bible we are told to pray incessantly, 1Thess 5:17, so no on can pray too much, and it makes no difference the position.
There is one point that few recognize as important: Use God's personal name in your prayers. That Personal Name was four Hebrew Consanants YHWH, or JHVH. Most people pronounce The Name Jehovah, in English, and it should be used often if you want to be in a close relationship with the Almighty Creator, because God Himself caused His name to be written in His Book over 7,000 times. Under the Mosaic Law Covenant it was a death penalty to Blaspheme THE NAME, LEV 24:11-16. The Heavenly Father's name is the MOST SACRED NAME in existence, and it was God's command to make Him and His works known in all the world. The Israelites were His Witnesses when they were faithful, Isa 43:10-12, 12:2-5, Ps 148:13.
Since Jehovah God is the only true God, He says that He is going to do away with all other gods, because they are an unreality, Jere 10:11,12, 14-16, Ps 115:2-8, John 17:3.
Notice that Jehovah God says that He is going to do away with all other called gods, and also all who worship them.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I don't believe for one minute that God's going to "do away" with anyone. "Doing away" with people is something the Mafia does in the movies.