• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How could an omnicient being have feelings and will?

Bronze

Bronze
Well, I'm not sure that He is supposed to know-absolutely-everything. When did knowing the future complete God's perfection? God could be perfect without it. Where in the Bible does it say that God is omniscient? I can't find it written anywhere.

because, thats what it means to be all-powerful and all-knowing, thats the definition of omnicient.

but i have to believe that any being that exists outside of reality and time itself, and created the universe, by default, would have to be omnicient, dont you think?

kadzbiz

because, thats what it means to be all-powerful and all-knowing, thats the definition of omnicient. but i have to believe that any being that exists outside of reality and time itself, and created the universe, by default, would have to be omnicient, dont you think?

Show me where in the Bible it says the words "omniscient", "all knowing" or "all-powerful". And to answer your question, no I don't think so.

uumckk16

doppelgänger;830938 said:
Maybe. The Trinity is at least four though, and in orthodoxy, at least six.

Do you mind explaining this? Maybe not in this thread - it's a little off topic - but maybe in a new thread or a PM? I'm curious :)

Psalm 147:5. Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

"Of great power" doesn't mean omnipotent. It means very powerful.

Here's the ESV translation:

"Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure."

Neither of those sounds like omnipotence or omniscience to me. It simply sounds like God has power and understanding beyond our comprehension.

Mind, I'm not certain I'd assert that the Bible does not imply that God is omniscient or omnipotent...I simply don't know. But I disagree with your assertion that this Psalm says he is.

kadzbiz

i dont know where but maybe someone here does
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AuZ2wd.naoBRZ9NzTJartUzsy6IX?qid=20070529032427AASEGAr

ok does this one sound accurate?:
Psalm 147:5. Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

Firstly, I checked out all the answers that your link provided. Not one proved that those words were in the bible. In fact, one tried to direct me to revelation to prove that omnipotent was in the bible (Revelation 19:6b ...for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth). That doesn't even exist in any bible that I looked up. Other people just interpreted the meanings of omniscient, all powerful and all knowing.

Secondly, Your direction to Psalm 147:5 doesn't not sound accurate. Understanding is not knowledge.

Bronze

Bronze
Firstly, I checked out all the answers that your link provided. Not one proved that those words were in the bible. In fact, one tried to direct me to revelation to prove that omnipotent was in the bible (Revelation 19:6b ...for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth). That doesn't even exist in any bible that I looked up. Other people just interpreted the meanings of omniscient, all powerful and all knowing.

well, you are right about the revelations thing, i looked it up, it says nothing like that. but none-the-less, i think every single one of them agreed (in a very matter-o-fact tone too) that god is omnicient. and i stand by the postulate that a being who created existance itself and lives outside of time, would have to, quite frankly, know EVERYTHING about the universe it created, including the ultimate outcome of that because it also knows the initial conditions. so pending on your views on determinism versus quantum physics, you can still say a being that created a universe would have to know everything about the universes past present and future.

but on another note, if by gods definition, is not omnicient, then i would have to revoke my atheism, and would be completely agnostic.

Bronze

Bronze
"Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure."

Neither of those sounds like omnipotence or omniscience to me. It simply sounds like God has power and understanding beyond our comprehension.

refer to my response right above this one, to Kadzbiz, same answer

kadzbiz

well, you are right about the revelations thing, i looked it up, it says nothing like that. but none-the-less, i think every single one of them agreed (in a very matter-o-fact tone too) that god is omnicient. and i stand by the postulate that a being who created existance itself and lives outside of time, would have to, quite frankly, know EVERYTHING about the universe it created, including the ultimate outcome of that because it also knows the initial conditions. so pending on your views on determinism versus quantum physics, you can still say a being that created a universe would have to know everything about the universes past present and future.

but on another note, if by gods definition, is not omnicient, then i would have to revoke my atheism, and would be completely agnostic.

God's definition? The only time I recall God describing himself is in Exodus 34:6-7 "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation."