• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can some Americans support a traitor for a President?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
You seem to be trying to assert that "mental illness" is the only motive for murder. Not money, not property, not jealousy, not revenge -- not even love (which tragically is all too often a very real motive).

If that's what you believe, I believe you are woefully uninformed.
We were talking about mass murder, for one thing. For two you now get to show that countries without guns are crime free :)

Premium Member
Its a grounded look at humanity. We are emotional beings, and emotions are very well known for making us do things we wouldn't normally do.
For sure. And most people don't then go on to commit mass murder, especially if they are mentally healthy and have emotional regulation. To think someone can go on a mass shooting spree while being mentally stable makes you a horrifying psychologist haha.

Fun fact, in actual psychology any homicidal thought is generally considered concerning and abnormal except in specific cases.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
For sure. And most people don't then go on to commit mass murder, especially if they are mentally healthy and have emotional regulation. To think someone can go on a mass shooting spree while being mentally stable makes you a horrifying psychologist haha.
And yet so many of them have no prior history of mental illness. It's almost as if we are prone to emotional outbursts, not always firmly in control, and sometimes we just get overwhelmed and lose it.

Premium Member
And yet so many of them have no prior history of mental illness. It's almost as if we are prone to emotional outbursts, not always firmly in control, and sometimes we just get overwhelmed and lose it.
Of course! A genius solution. Like how people with no history of mental illness cannot develop depression, schizophrenia, or other mental illnesses. You either have it or don't and nothing can ever change that. Peak psychology.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
Never said otherwise. If you’ve been following following along, you should have a general idea of the court timeline.
Understood.
I know that. I could’ve been clearer, I wanted to give an example of the damage he’s done.

I think it’s too generous of a spin to distill everything he‘s done criminally into a simple “lack of discipline.“ It’s so much worse than that.
I understand. Not saying that is the only reason I couldn't vote for him, but a major one. I believe Mr. Trump and our current president are disasters for our nation, though for different reasons.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What question? You refuse to acknowledge that mental illness is the cause not guns, thus buying into political nonsense and doing more harm than good.
No, if that was the case we would have similar rates to other first world counties. It is not even close. They have mentally ill people, we have mentally ill people. The one significant difference is the number of guns and the ease of getting them in this country.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
What I am saying is that to believe in Trump, his supporters must believe long serving distinguished generals like Kelly are liars. That is what I meant.

I'd say that's not necessarily always the case.

However, I think some of Trump's followers do actually place him above Kelly and others.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Of course! A genius solution. Like how people with no history of mental illness cannot develop depression, schizophrenia, or other mental illnesses. You either have it or don't and nothing can ever change that. Peak psychology.
Do you agree that those who own and buy guns should have a mental health screening, and need to pass to have guns?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
What question? You refuse to acknowledge that mental illness is the cause not guns, thus buying into political nonsense and doing more harm than good.
Because you haven't demonstrated it. You've merely claimed it.

I pointed out that many other countries in the world contain lots and lots of people with mental health issues, but no where near the amount of mass shootings that the US has on an almost daily basis at this point. You ignored that and told me that mentally healthy people aren't emotional or something, that didn't address the point in the slightest.

Now you're trying to tell me that I've bought into some "political nonsense" as you call it when I've not mentioned political anything.
And now you seem to be trying to shirk your burden of proof onto me. Naah.

Premium Member
Because you haven't demonstrated it. You've merely claimed it.

I pointed out that many other countries in the world contain lots and lots of people with mental health issues, but no where near the amount of mass shootings that the US has on an almost daily basis at this point. You ignored that and told me that mentally healthy people aren't emotional or something, that didn't address the point in the slightest.
But gun violence specifically is irrelevant. Of course more guns means more gun violence, but what of violence over all?
Now you're trying to tell me that I've bought into some "political nonsense" as you call it when I've not mentioned political anything.
And now you seem to be trying to shirk your burden of proof onto me. Naah.
Your agenda to focus on guns and ignore mental illness is political whether you recognize that or not

Premium Member
Now you're just stigmatizing mental illness.
I'm stigmatizing mental illness by explaining it can develop during life? Haha, I would love an elaboration and know none will be given. Classic political dronery.

F1fan

Veteran Member
But gun violence specifically is irrelevant. Of course more guns means more gun violence, but what of violence over all?

Your agenda to focus on guns and ignore mental illness is political whether you recognize that or not
So do you think anyone who wants to buy and own a gun should get a mental health screening first?

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
I watched the speech to and I could hear him clearly exhorting his followers to attack Congress. ... He knew that he could not say "Let's go attack Congress and kill its leaders". But what he said made many believe that that was what he wanted them to do....
Wait, you actually believe that on January 6, President Trump went to the capitol with a determination in his mind to bring about the killing of members of Congress that day?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
No, if that was the case we would have similar rates to other first world counties. It is not even close. They have mentally ill people, we have mentally ill people. The one significant difference is the number of guns and the ease of getting them in this country.
Out of curiosity I decided to see our gun owner rates.
We actually have more guns and (licensed) gun owners than we did prior to the Port Arthur Massacre.
Which was the incident that basically made the country tighten gun laws.
My country, Australia, has 3.9 million guns for reference

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Out of curiosity I decided to see our gun owner rates.
We actually have more guns and (licensed) gun owners than we did prior to the Port Arthur Massacre.
Which was the incident that basically made the country tighten gun laws.
My country, Australia, has 3.9 million guns for reference
Can a gun owner keep almost any gun in his house or are people limited as to where they have to store them? I do believe that there is a fair amount of gun ownership in Germany as well People just can't take their guns home.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Can a gun owner keep almost any gun in his house or are people limited as to where they have to store them? I do believe that there is a fair amount of gun ownership in Germany as well People just can't take their guns home.
I’m not entirely sure of the limits, per se. I don’t think you can just have any gun you like. But I’m fairly sure you can store them at home.
It does slightly differ state to state, as in the outback, rifles are probably pretty common. As they are often needed for farming and protection

I do know that certain grades of weapons/guns (classified as very high powered) will soon be outlawed here or already are. It’s a fairly new law.

But I do know there are strict laws regarding storage
For reference my state has these

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I’m not entirely sure of the limits, per se. I don’t think you can just have any gun you like. But I’m fairly sure you can store them at home.
It does slightly differ state to state, as in the outback, rifles are probably pretty common. As they are often needed for farming and protection

I do know that certain grades of weapons/guns (classified as very high powered) will soon be outlawed here or already are. It’s a fairly new law.

But I do know there are strict laws regarding storage
For reference my state has these

And that is what many people are pushing for here. Right now a man with a wife and kids can go to bed, with a loaded pistol out on his nightstand ready to be fired with just a pull of the trigger. I see that even at home one has to not only have the gun unloaded but the bolt removed as well. There are no laws about how one has to have one's guns locked up in a proper gun safe at home.