• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can science and religion get along?

kylina

They get along fine if a person has an appropriate perspective of both religion and science. Science (as Father Heathen said) is not a world-view. Science is a method for the collection, analysis and testing of data. Science looks at the phenomena of our natural world and seeks to find explanations and understanding of how our natural world operates.

Science is not a system of ethics, it is not a philosophy, it is not a way of living, it is not out to get religion, and it is not demonic.

Religion, on the other hand, is a system of ethics, a way of living, and a philosophy. Religion is the acceptance of a particular outlook/perception of our world and acting in appropriation to that outlook.

Religion is not a method of understanding or explaining the natural world. Religion is not a method of understanding or dictating history. It is solely for the betterment and refinement of mankind via particular ethical modalities and ideological beliefs.

When one realizes the difference between the two, it makes it very easy for the two to get along.

Yeah, this seems alright to agree on. Although i just have to add that as soon as the people, who still see the Bible as a blow by blow account of what happened in the beginning of time, realize that there are more reasonable explanations about this in science and at least will stop to think about what science says about the creation of the world and people, the sooner they'll stop seeing science as a force out to destroy their religion.

I think some religious people believe science to be out to destroy (their) religion is because they see science being able to explain things that their religion can't or are able to prove parts of what their religion is saying is false, even when science may not be neccessarily trying to do so to fight religion.

I once asked my science teacher what her religion is or if she is an atheist and she told me that she did have a religion but it is not something that's neccessary to talk about at that moment. The way she put it seemed like "ask me later during break time so you're not interrupting class time". What it seemed to me with her mannerisms was that she seemed to prefer to seperate her religion from the subject that she is teaching.

PS. please note when i say science and religion, i am generalising them but do not mean to say all of scientists or religious people are like that.

logician

Well, watching the GOP as of late one can tell religion is still out to quell scientific research. We still have a long ways to go.