• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

House Spirit

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Evening all,

I am moving this Friday, and wanted to do something to thank the spirit of my apartment. Does anyone have a good resource for looking in to rites to thank a house spirit? I know that Frigg is the Goddess of Hearth (and associated with Friday :p), but I wanted to do something specifically for the house spirit. Since I have lived here for two years I know I am leaving a permanent impression on this place, and I wanted to thank the spirit for seeing me through many trials and tribulations.

Also, I am completely new to this, I have never actually worked with a house spirit before.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
House-spirits tend to be associated with family homes. Where generations of your kinsmen had been born & died. I do not think that would apply to an apartment.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Foods and drink seem to be the traditional thing in many traditions. Does Frigg have a favorite drink or food? Maybe offer her favorite food/wine? Does the house have a family history? Yours? If yours, maybe offer things to leave behind that have significance to your family (but you and your family don't mind you giving it away). Maybe the next person who moves in will pick up the blessings you gave from the offerings you given.

Prayers are good offerings. You can bless or consecrate the house for the next resident and in turn also thank the house spirit for protecting you.

These are general suggestions from a pagan point of view. I don't know anything in particular when it involves the Goddess and Gods. That's something to look up as well.

Last note: I'd say some form of food and/or drink. Since food is biodegradable and drink is absorbent. I'd put it on the earth and in small amount depending on the neighborhood (city or suburb or country), home owner's association, nosing neighbors, and so forth.

Evening all,

I am moving this Friday, and wanted to do something to thank the spirit of my apartment. Does anyone have a good resource for looking in to rites to thank a house spirit? I know that Frigg is the Goddess of Hearth (and associated with Friday :p), but I wanted to do something specifically for the house spirit. Since I have lived here for two years I know I am leaving a permanent impression on this place, and I wanted to thank the spirit for seeing me through many trials and tribulations.

Also, I am completely new to this, I have never actually worked with a house spirit before.

lunakilo

Evening all,

I was under the impression that it was Freya who was ascosiated with Friday, but I guess some people feel it is Frigg.

From what I remember from my childhood teachings, the house spirit is mainly the manifestation/personification/soul of your household and as such will go with you when you move.

I specifically remember a legend about a family who did not treat the house spirit very nicely, and when the spirit became mean to them they tried to escape it by moving. It didn't work of course :)
I guess it means you take all your inner baggage with you when you move.

But maybe you do leave an impression behind when you leave.

I would suggest drinking a good beer and having a toast for the spirit and the good (and perhaps some less good but educational) times you have had in the apartment.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Having relocated somewhat recently, I had this come up as well. My traditions are different from yours, I imagine, but I tend to keep things simple. When the place was emptied of my belongings, I simply spent a few moments in that space. I let myself be mindful of the many years I had spent there, and that it had been good to me; that parts of me would miss it. I didn't speak any words. I lit no candles, no incense. I simply gave it some of my time, during a very hectic moving day.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I was under the impression that it was Freya who was ascosiated with Friday, but I guess some people feel it is Frigg.

There's some speculation that they may have originally been the same Goddess, in the process of a split by the Viking Age, since so much about them overlap.

Yes, it's up for grabs in whatever I've read about it.

Treks

Whenever I move house, the last thing I do is hug a wall before I leave and lock the door for the last time. I'm a house-hugger hahaha.

I strongly feel that all homes have their own energy and it is important to thank the home for you being able to stay there. I don't know about the spirit of a house moving with you. They've all had very unique energy, in my opinion, and I've moved a lot!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's something interesting from A Practical Heathen's Guide to Asatru - Patricia M. Lafayllve - Google Books I have it, it's a good book I'm going to read again.

Traditionally a stone was place by the hearth for the husvaettir(s) (house spirit/wight) to live in. Since I don't have a hearth I put a smooth stone on top of the stove. I have a feeling that the husvaettir(s) was/were upset with me for all these years of complaining about the house. It's built poorly and is, as I call it, booby-trapped. Now, considering that the husvaettir are spirits that cohabitate like, as the book says, roomies, perhaps when I had all that trouble the other week (burst pipes and floods twice in one week), they/it may actually have been helping me by making me realize that
  • I do have a home.
  • I am getting an insurance settlement.
It's not really enough to cover all the damage, only a small part, but the funds can help pay other bills, which down the road may allow me to save up enough to make some fix-ups. So in the end, I should appreciate the problems. Unless of course the husvaettir had nothing to do with it and I'm back to cursing out the house. :D